World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I’m trying to get some photos of smaller UK shark species (I’m a photographer, but not an angler or diver!) and was after some advice. I want to visit the Scottish west coast in August (bank holiday weekend) to see people catching some on rod & line and have identified the Oban/ Loch Etive area or Skye/ Mallaig as likely spots. I’m mainly after blackmouth dogfish and spur dog, though others would be of interest, particularly rays and tope.
My main questions are am I best going out on a boat or hanging out with some shore anglers? If the latter I guess there would need to be a reasonable regular number of anglers at one spot to give me a good chance – is anywhere that popular and are certain tidal conditions needed? Also, which of these two areas mentioned are likely to be the best?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
If I were you I’d be looking to get out in a boat that fishes the mull of Galloway area.
There’s a few boats that you can charter, it’s just a case of asking the skipper if it’s ok to photograph if you ain’t fishing.
All the species( you’ve quoted) can be caught in that area regularly. This would be your best bet in my opinion.

Cheers willie

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you venture to Loch Sunart let me know, I have a boat and if the weather is right, will go out and catch something.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. MOG a bit far for me in my limited time window and temporary base in Speyside. Noted those locations along the loch, will certainly check them out and maybe try and get out on a boat afterwards if no luck. Also planning to get out into the Minch and see some big sharks (baskers) hopefully.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts