World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off to Cornwall for a fortnight - hooray!
Wife banned me from taking all my Sea Fishing kit...boo!!!

Will be able to sneak a couple of coarse rods in tho` so thinking of using it as an enforced opportunity to focus on Mullet Fishing!
(Always been too busy chasing Bass before...)

Any advice on locations or specifics...

I`ve seen plenty of sizeable Mullet in Penzance Harbour and Mousehole Harbour but am I best off chasing fish I can see in clear water or should I try somewhere with a bit more colour...

What about Hayle or is there still a Sewer Pipe at Porthcurno (I assume not!)

Float or Swimfeeder rigs?

At this time of year am I best off trying the traditional bread route or woul maggot be best? Is it going to be necessary to pre-bait as i`ve never seen anyone bread fishing for Mullet in the area - only spinning with rag for Thin-lips...

Sorry for the 20 questions approach but anything else anyone has for me would be much appreciated...

Anyone else going to be down there trying for them at the same time?

Many Thanks!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Jason

I don't know the venues you will be fishing, I would suggest you try using a small mepps type spinner with the treble cut off and a 3 inch length of line with a single size 10 to 1 hook tied on, then use a little bit of rag that is just hooked on...if you use a bubble float use a 6ft length line between float and the spinner..

this is a great method if the normal method doesn't work with bread!!

·
Banned
44,187 Posts
Hi I will be stopping in Mousehole for the week of 23rd July. I will also be targeting the Mullet in the harbour there. I will try spinning artificial eels for them as well as bread. Your coarse gear should also be strong enough to fish outside the harbour for small pollack etc.
There have been a number of posts regarding mullet so best to read through them and come back with any further questions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Jason,

As an exile of Cornwall, I can tell you that Fowey has some superb mullet fishing, especially in Pont Creek on a flood (HW-2, HW +1).
Coarse gear would suit, using bread-flake on the surface. (Small version Carping)

Always the chance of a few Bass on lures, nearer the main river too.

A bit of a jaunt from West Cornwall, but really worth it. From Fowey, by road, use the Bodinnick Car Ferry and head for Polruan and it is a few miles prior, near a village called St.Veep.

Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Goodluck on your holiday...
I`ll keep an eye out for you at Mousehole Snaggletooth ;)
Perhaps i`ll have those Mullet weaned onto bread by the time you arrive!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts