World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Just come back from there, loads of mackeral there, I didnt get any because I do not like feathering. I lost one bass at about 3lb, my line snapped while it was half way up the wall. After all I was only using 9lb hook length on a light Greys GRX spin!

Good fun though

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Was there many Anglers ther Phil?
Anyone else catch anything?
C&R M8 good on you :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just came back from there myself. About a dozen anglers up till around 7 o'clock. After that it was just me and incodwetrust. Lots of mackeral being caught on feathers! A few kids caught 7 in the space on two hours. I had one whiting, caught on rag. Incodwetrust blanked! (again)! Think we will use feathers next time.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I own a few sets of feathers but I do not use them. I know it can be a quick way to get fresh bait, but, I prefer the float and have fun with the mackeral and you never know you might catch summat else??

·
Registered
281 Posts
how long are your trace lengths Phil? i always have trouble choosing a depth with my bubble floats. what were you floating with? ammo sand eel?

open to any advice..cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
dw173288 said:
how long are your trace lengths Phil? i always have trouble choosing a depth with my bubble floats. what were you floating with? ammo sand eel?

open to any advice..cheers!
As for trace length, it all depends on the conditions, generally I fish with anything between 12" and 3'. The longer the trace length the harder it is to cast., the long trace length is ideal if you are just dropping over the side o0r just lobbing out a few yards. My hooklengths are generally of a lower breaking straing than the main line. It is easy to alter the depth if you are using sliding floats.

Baits I use, same sort of baits as you would with beachcasting.

Although I generally prefer sandeel and the silver part of the mackeral. For mackerel baits I generally use thin strips at least 4" long!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts