World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys (and gals)

I posted this earlier on the flyfishing forum but response is a bit slow, so I thought it may be best to post on the South/West Wales forum. (sorry for the duplication mods - but I need all the help I can get - lol!)

Hello everyone,

I'm considering giving fly fishing in the sea a go. I have flyfished for many years on rivers and reservoirs, and sea fished for longer. I am now looking to combine the two and have a go at flyfishing for saltwater species (bass/pollack/mullet/gars etc).

I live between the Gower and Pembrokeshire (which I know are good areas to start from), but I'm looking for specific marks/tactics to try. Can anyone supply a couple of marks for me to get started from? Times and state of tide etc.

Also is there a specific venue that I can try to target mullet?

I know that some of you like to keep your marks top secret, and may not wish to disclose these on the open forum. If this is the case - please feel free to PM me.

Any info would be gratefully received.

Many thanks, Dan

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
hiya,

Any of our storm beaches are worth a go on fly. Fishing the tide in is the best bet.
Plenty of mullet down pembroke dock area. access could be an issue though.
IHW might be worth chatting to as he's on the ball with the pembroke mullet.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
lol iwouldnt say i am on the ball. i have never fly fished in the sea properly so i dont know anything about it. thought i would think there are a few marks that hold mullet, tenby and saundersfoot both have mullet in them. you could try flat rock in saundersfoot for the bass, theres a few down there, its the only spot i could think of with a back cast. but make sure the wind has been calm for about a week at least before you go becuase the water will be too coloured. also get loads of mackerel at flat rock. doggies and the odd huss using macky on the bottom but thts not fly fishing. i will give you a pm on a mullet mark mate, neyland marina is full of them but you need to be with someone who has a boat in there, we go with cod king as his dad has a boat there so unless you have one there you cant fish it :(

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
try the fly at dale and wooltack, walk the path along the cliffs and be careful when descending to the ledges, good area for pollock and bass. i have seen some beauty`s taken and even mackerel, or you could try the many ledges between newgale and st davids with solva being my choice again pollock and bass you may be able to get mullet from the west side of solva harbour as it opens to the sea

hope this helps

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Any of the rock marks to deep water around Pembrokeshire will produce,I've caught on fly from Newport round to Tenby,my favourite place though is Caerfai,around to Solva,caught mackies,gar, bass, pollack,coalies,scad and launce on the fly around here.Just walk along the coastal footpath and fish every spot you can get to!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guy's for the info.

I have done the easy part of tying the flies - now for the hard part of trying to connect to something that resembles a fish!!!!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts