World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After fishing here last week with Wobbler and reading a few reports from others I thought I'd have another chuck at Morfa Nefyn. A lovely spot to spend time if nothing else.

We had a leisurely start and stopped at ABC to give Malcolm our pocket money in exchange for some must have fishing tackle. Richie and i arrived at Nefyn about 4pm, it was a pleasant day when we left but by the time we got there it had changed into one of those wall to wall grey days with never ending rain that Wales seems to do much better than anywhere else.

After getting suited in the rain we had a easy stroll to the mark and got set up with plenty of time before the grey turned to dark. Armed with fresh lug, rag and frozen sandeel, squid and fish we felt fairly confident of something decent. The main target being rays as we had heard of a few being taken elsewhere.

As it started to get dark, bites were pretty much one a chuck bringing a succession of small whiting and dogs. The only fish that broke the pattern was a nice flounder for me. At first sight I thought that it might have made 2lb but it weighed in at 1lb 14 oz. not quite big enough to match Kevs fish from last week.

The whiting and dogs continued over low water and while we were hoping for a change when the tide started making, nothing else of any note showed for either of us so we packed in a bit after 10 feeling a bit cold and wet around the edges.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
nice report and well done on getting out in this horrible weather. Unlucky on the flounder just falling short of 2lb but thats still a nice size fish yum yum.:clap:

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Sounds not too bad - surprised no reasonable whiting came out - had some corkers that way last week, up to knee in the waders and a bit of an underhand/side lob only.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Well done on the flounder. Tried for flounder in the harbour channel at Pwllheli today. Nice day but no flatties.

JB

PS Couple of Dutch lads were setting up the concrete anchoring blocks along the wall. Due to start dredging Monday.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies lads.

It's interesting what you've said Cromcruiach as over the last couple of visits I've got the impression that despite being a fairly shallow beach it's best fished not too far out. Once it gets dark those fish aren't worried about coming close, more experimentation needed I think.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
A shame about the weather but still a nice session and a cracking flounder :clap:.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Sunday evening; Back to Morfa Nefyn for the top of the tide & first two hours of the ebb. A few whiting & then doggies, doggies & yet more doggies.

JB

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that JB. I was wondering about tomorrow night as it could be a bit more sheltered but don't really fancy dogfish all night.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could be interesting, have you tried them yet Kev?

I suppose it would have an adverse effect on Huss as well?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Nice report Kellan, good achievement. What's that great pub called on the far end of Nefyn? Is it The Ty Coch or have I got the wrong flounder?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, it's the Ty Goch at Porth Dinllaen.

I reckon its got to be one of the most photographed pubs around. It's on just about every advert you see for holidays in Wales but its well deserved!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts