World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Will be in Dorset early next week staying with friends who have a 5 year old lad. They are quite keen to go fishing and I wondered about Weymouth breakwater, with its variety of mini species to keep a young'un interested. Any advice? Taking float gear so depths etc would be useful to know.

Also - any chance of tasty things like mackerel off the Breakwater??

Thanks - John

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi john, I have regularly caught mackeral next to the breakwater from a boat on the way out to other fishing. We are never more than 20-30 yards from the breakwater just dropping feathers over the side and lifting up and down with the rod. Good luck. I hear Bass also frequent the end of the breakwater and can be taken on spinners and plugs...might want to clarify that last piece of info. Cheers
Ben

G

·
not quite sure what you mean by breakwater,wether that's the stone pier (which feathering is not allowed this time of year,due to swimmers)or the breakwater walls that surround portland harbour?? :eek:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I didn'y know weymouth had a breakwater... I know it has 2 peirs the out one is the stone peir ...you used to be able to catch mackeral on feathers and float. the other peir closest to the beach you could flot fish for mackeral but not use feathers.

Lobbi

if you get a chance fish the diving tower centre breakwater.......get live prawns as bait..... just use a ball weight and a 3 foot hook lenght drop it to bottom and wind up 3 feet... loads of big pollack!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
sorry stone pier is what I meant, haven't been down there for some time but it was the one that you pass as you come out of weymouth harbour.... cheers for the info on the pollack!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
i fished stone peir yesterday. loads of mackerel, gars, pollack to be caught... and if you want abit of extra fun when the mackie go off the feed, use VERY light gear and fish small bits of worm on the bottom or deep set float for small bream, wrasse, pout and just about anything else!
happy fishing mate.

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
i agree with codmaster, the stone pier can be good fun,loads of mackie, garfish, small wrasse, pollock, bream, great fun on light gear. park at the top, near the nothe fort, 5 min walk down :) matt

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
chesilmaster said:
i agree with codmaster, the stone pier can be good fun,loads of mackie, garfish, small wrasse, pollock, bream, great fun on light gear. park at the top, near the nothe fort, 5 min walk down :) matt
Thanks again to my friends outside Wales!

I'll be back in a while and will aim to post a detailed wotsit!

Ever up here, any of you, feel free to ask advice! So long as you're not a Spanish Trawler skipper/ Scally Fly by Night net-setter you are welcome!

All the best - John

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi again!

Fished it a couple of days back with the mini-species savaging all baits! Mackerel seemed absent although lots fishing for them. Someone had either a big silver eel or a small strap about 2.5ft long but that was all I saw of any size. Two lads brought a load of mackerel in off a boat so I bought a few for the barby, cleaned them & used the guts for bait.

After a while I tried a huge dollop of guts and instead of the rattly bites my 10ft spinning rod bent double as something powerdived bottomwards. Managed to hold it and after a short rather brutal battle a nice wrasse surfaced. Had to hand-by-hand it ever so gently up the wall (on 10lb line to size 4 hook - eek!) but got it in OK. Nobody had scales but estimates were 4-5lb, a personal best, so well chuffed to have caught it especially on such light gear. Went back headfirst and swam off to its lair!

Back in Wales soon but this is a nice part of the world to fish/explore & I'll be back :)

Cheers - John

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
wow nice fish! i live in weymouth and fish stone pier all the time and have only ever heard of a wrasse that size coming from it once before, it was 5lb caught by a kid in one of the schools comps about a month ago! stone peir is probably famous for the thousands of 4-5oz wrasse it produces but i dont think anyone has ever heard of a 5lber until recently.
it may have been the same fish..... did u catch it down the side of the wall or abit further out?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Codfather2 said:
wow nice fish! i live in weymouth and fish stone pier all the time and have only ever heard of a wrasse that size coming from it once before, it was 5lb caught by a kid in one of the schools comps about a month ago! stone peir is probably famous for the thousands of 4-5oz wrasse it produces but i dont think anyone has ever heard of a 5lber until recently.
it may have been the same fish..... did u catch it down the side of the wall or abit further out?
It was only 5m out on the seaward side about 10m from the structure on the end. The fish was reddish-brown with moderately well developed pale spots. It's back lurking there now ready for the next taker!

Cheers - John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts