World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At last! Even with heavy netting pressure on the wreck's to the west the fish are starting to show in somewhat limited number's.
Figure's of 5T per day per boat(netting) is not uncommon and a figure 5 times this has been rummored by one lucky short minded fishermen.:schmoll:

Right enough of the moan!

The fish have been very hard to find especially in the bigger tide some two weeks ago.
However, a fall in tide size along with cleaner water has brought the fish to the boat.
Last Wednesday we had 50+ Pollack to 14lb on Chris Caines Tiger Lily. The other boats from the port recorded similar catch's. The fish were very obliging from the off as we arrived at the wreck at the start of the ebb tide, we were into fish from the very first drift and only lost them for a short 20 minute period over the slack when a few of us tried other tactics for the bottom dwellers (ling & conger).
Luckily for us they have started towing for sand-eels on the banks and although most on the rather large size (launce) the fish didn’t seem that bothered.

I did have one of those days when nothing goes wrong. You know the one’s you dream about. Didn’t loose one set of gear and had a fish on for all but one drift where I had a coming together. Gear used, was a 12lb Diawa powerlift(old version) with a Abu 6500c3 Mag loaded with 20lb xfine dynon, 20lb short leader, short 8” veals tube boom, 9’ 9.1kg amnesia hook length, 2/O or 4/O Mustad BLN patern hook, 10oz zoom weight.
Lovely and light gear fish all day no problem.

One thing I did do different to most on the boat. Whether I used the smaller or larger eel I hooked them through the bottom lip straight up between the nostrils hard bit in the centre. This seemed to work well as other’s were having there eel’s pinched or the hook pulled once and then left alone and on retrieval the boat the hook pulled from the belly and the gut’s hanging out and dead. Very slow retrieve with the rod bending over slow when getting a fish on then some times letting go then 3 more turns and Bang! Fish on screaming line off. This accounted for 20+ Pollack to 14lb.:clap2:
Ling did oblige on slack to flappered Launce slowly dragged over the wreck and one chap had a Conger. :clap2:

Following day decided to give skipper of Meridian Express (Captain dingaling?) a hand for the day. Considering the 4 anglers hadn’t done this before they done very well. 20 Pollack to 12lb. Only one fish on the ebb?? Then 19 fish in 1 hour of the start of the flood our last hour on the wreck. Weird how the same area of wreck’s can fish the ebb one day then nothing the next! But you wouldn’t have believed it unless you been there to see it!:g:

Cant wait to get back down next weekend! Although, with the Plaice and other flatties playing hide and seek I’m looking forward to a sleepy day on the banks.:unsure:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
guess someones got some time on thier hands!!
nice report by!
just hope it stays that way! the way it's been thought i wouldnt be surprised if it goes tits up this week!
the wrecking's been unpredictable to say the least.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well at least the boxing is on sat night.

The lovelly ladies will be out in force this weekend as well! with a bit of sun and luck!

Wonder if that guy got his record contract yet?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Down fishing the next four days doing a mixture of wreck and bank fishing.:clap3: :clap2:

The Shambles and other inshore mark's are starting to produce the flatties that being spott's and herbert's.:clap3: :)

Wreck's are still producing, hopefully a few more Big Ling will start to show. :g: Might be one of our last chance's for a big Pollack.:g:

The weather look's excellent all weekend 2-3's or nothing Starting East then working around south to west and later going North. Crossed fingers!:clap2:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Three days wrecking. One day Plaicing. (Sat-Tues)

Tiger Lily Chris Caines:kissing: Top Skipper

Had excellent numbers of Pollack to 17lb. Ling to 25lb. Conger to 50lb.:clap2:

Caught 25lb Ling on 150cm long Fladden jerk rod along with 40lb conger great fight.:uhuh:

Plaice fishing has also gone off with a big bang.

Tues 36 fish to 4lb 6oz.:clap2:

Wed 33 fish to 4lb 12oz.:clap3:

So get your rods down to Weymouth.(small tip, shorten them 24" max big spoon:secret: ):g:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get down to Weymouth now! If you want some great fishing!:boat:

Chris Caines on Tiger Lily hitting the banks for Plaice,Turbot & Brill. The banks are on fire with High numbers of Plaice to 5lb being caught. Turbot & Brill being caught in numbers.:clap2:

The wrecks are also producing good fish! Pollack to 20lb, Ling to 30lb.

Lyle Stantiford on Meridian Express(standing in for Channel Chieftan) is hitting the headline's with an 88lb Conger taken this weekend. The following day targetting Turbot (14lb+) & Brill with three fish in the first the drifts.:clap3: :notworthy

Yes, you got the holidays and the weather and the fish are coming out to play!:g: :clap2:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Get down to Weymouth now! If you want some great fishing!:boat:

Chris Caines on Tiger Lily hitting the banks for Plaice,Turbot & Brill. The banks are on fire with High numbers of Plaice to 5lb being caught. Turbot & Brill being caught in numbers.:clap2:

The wrecks are also producing good fish! Pollack to 20lb, Ling to 30lb.

Lyle Stantiford on Meridian Express(standing in for Channel Chieftan) is hitting the headline's with an 88lb Conger taken this weekend. The following day targetting Turbot (14lb+) & Brill with three fish in the first the drifts.:clap3: :notworthy

Yes, you got the holidays and the weather and the fish are coming out to play!:g: :clap2:
certainly is going well at the moment byron! i met ly in the pub on saturday and he was chuffed as nuts at the way it was going and of course the biggest eel he's ever seen!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cracking day yesterday!:clap3:

20 Plaice to 3lb 15oz on Tiger Lily.:boat: :)

Had to fight the tide but fish kept feeding all day!

Used rag and squid!

All rig's worked well.

Other boats had similar catch of plaice.:clap2:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was looking forward to my trip this Sunday already !!!! But now it cant come quick enough :clap2: :clap2:

I am going out with Clem Carter on Wild Frontier, and have been out with him before. Excellent skipper, loads of help to me a relative newcomer.

I will try and be a bit more prepared this time, so any rig tips would be very appreciated :notworthy :notworthy

I assume that if we go after the flat ones, the trace needs to be nailed to the floor ?

Cheers

David

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was looking forward to my trip this Sunday already !!!! But now it cant come quick enough :clap2: :clap2:

I am going out with Clem Carter on Wild Frontier, and have been out with him before. Excellent skipper, loads of help to me a relative newcomer.

I will try and be a bit more prepared this time, so any rig tips would be very appreciated :notworthy :notworthy

I assume that if we go after the flat ones, the trace needs to be nailed to the floor ?

Cheers

David
Short traces max 30" with large in line spoon with beads has been taking them.
Yesterday 4' traces worked well with beads and with or without small 1" spoon threaded in them or above. Got to be on the bottom.
Most gear worked but some caught 1 fish others caught4/5. Two hook / three hook rigs worked well!

Be prepared with some different length flowing traces with different end gear till you find the one that works. Pays if you all start using different gear then switch to the one thats doing the buisness.

Tide had alot of say in this. Too fast some times at 2.4 knots. Had to move off the best ground to have a chance!

Water colour is s**t at the mo. Tides easing though a bit.

Few herbet's being caught as well. 7' trace with dropper half way couple of 2/O or 4/O BLN mustads two hook rig.

Braid main line is a must really. Keep changing your weights according to tide strength.

Anyway, its not always my cup of tea but its worth the wait when you get a good one on!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts