World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out Bassin this morning, first stop a small inshore wreck to feather up some live baits. Then onto a shallow inshore reef mark.

First drift through was very slow as the tide was small and the wind was zero, a nice oily flat sea. No takes, but I noticed a shoal of small bait fish breaking the surface about 100yds away. So a very slow motor around the shoal keeping wide enough not to spook them and set up a drift to go over them.

When I reached them I was over the top of the reef in about 5 to 6m of water, which was crystal clear so much so that you could clearly see the reef. The shoal of sprats/whitebait was massive and lying underneath them was a shoal of bass the smallest looking like about 4lb ish but there were a number of very big fish well into double figures.

I drifted over them for the whole session, which was about 3hrs. Not one take on live baits or lures of various types and sizes. A few times I had some really good fish take a slight interest but no actual takes. There was no bass breaking into the shoal either; the odd Pollack came though and grabbed a mouthful, but the bass just kept under them the whole time. It was clear that they were herding the baitfish up ready for a feed later in the day at some point.

What a sight to see and an amazing lesson in how finicky these fish can be. They had the biggest banquet laid out before them and they didnt even blink an eye.

I only wish I could have stayed until feeding time, but alas I had promised the family I would be home for lunch :sad:

However, even though I blanked on the bass front, I learnt so much about where they patrol over the reef and where the big fish were hanging out together, so fingers crossed this wind will not blow up too much and I will get back to the reef in the morning.

Steve

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Hi PBH,

on our way out yesterday I saw this boat the entrance to Portland Harbour and thought it looked like the profile of your boat on your avatar. Was it you - about 7.45 am at a guess?

We were anchored west side and had a good sized bass swim up to the back of the boat for a look before it went away. There were a lot of small Scad's picking off our baits between the proper fish so I wonder if it was us returning these that attracted it?

Weather was cracking yesterday and sounds like you had a good time even if the weren't biting for you.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
forgot to attach the photo I took of what I thought was you! I was a long way off so it's poor quality I'm afraid

Attachments

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, thats me. I stopped quickly at the entrance to get a couple of extra livebaits.

Shame this wind has blown up, those bass will have to wait for me now.....

Steve

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
interesting thread..the small bass in the harbour here, can be seen herding up the fry...and do not seem to charge in and take them like you would expect...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
interesting thread..the small bass in the harbour here, can be seen herding up the fry...and do not seem to charge in and take them like you would expect...
I think the bass were full up from their last feed and were just waiting with the shoal until they were hungry again. I got there a good while after first light so probably missed them on the feed.

No point in the bass swimming off elsewhere and having to find more food later on; so I guess they just stayed with the baitfish ready for later.

Must get my backside out of bed very early next time as those doubles were stonkers!

This mark also lends itself very nicely to fly fishing as the fish were all holding on top of the reef in 5 or 6m so I could easily get the fly down to them with a sinking line. Now that would be some sport!!!

Steve

·
Registered
25,175 Posts
Went out Bassin this morning, first stop a small inshore wreck to feather up some live baits. Then onto a shallow inshore reef mark.

First drift through was very slow as the tide was small and the wind was zero, a nice oily flat sea. No takes, but I noticed a shoal of small bait fish breaking the surface about 100yds away. So a very slow motor around the shoal keeping wide enough not to spook them and set up a drift to go over them.

When I reached them I was over the top of the reef in about 5 to 6m of water, which was crystal clear so much so that you could clearly see the reef. The shoal of sprats/whitebait was massive and lying underneath them was a shoal of bass the smallest looking like about 4lb ish but there were a number of very big fish well into double figures.

I drifted over them for the whole session, which was about 3hrs. Not one take on live baits or lures of various types and sizes. A few times I had some really good fish take a slight interest but no actual takes. There was no bass breaking into the shoal either; the odd Pollack came though and grabbed a mouthful, but the bass just kept under them the whole time. It was clear that they were herding the baitfish up ready for a feed later in the day at some point.

What a sight to see and an amazing lesson in how finicky these fish can be. They had the biggest banquet laid out before them and they didnt even blink an eye.

I only wish I could have stayed until feeding time, but alas I had promised the family I would be home for lunch :sad:

However, even though I blanked on the bass front, I learnt so much about where they patrol over the reef and where the big fish were hanging out together, so fingers crossed this wind will not blow up too much and I will get back to the reef in the morning.

Steve
Ive seen something similar myself,we tried literally everything we could and never had a fish,even a very experienced line caught bass fisherman on another boat failed to get any,goodluck for next time,hopefully they will feed for you:thumbs::fishing1:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.