World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
New member and looking for advice re fishing eg Chesil Beach, & Bowleaze Cove & other venues around Weymouth.

Thank you
Fisherman 107

·
Global Moderator
22,610 Posts
Thanks @Wreck fisher.

Have moved this so you’ll hopefully get some responses.

For what it’s worth, you’re asking quite a broad question there, the reply could take all day. I would try narrowing it down to something along the lines of ‘I’m planning to fish Cogden in the next week or so in daylight. Any advice?

Reactions: Steveh24

·
Registered
127 Posts
I moved here a couple of summers ago..... loads of options
Ok, here goes.......
Stone pier - good all rounder, summer mackerel and gar on the float, all sorts on the bottom, conger, plaice, pout, wrasse, whiting, flatties, bass. Lots of small species close in lLrf etc.
Pleasure pier, similar to stone pier but not as deep.
I’ve never fished Bowleaze, but there’s a reef close in to the right, I’ve heard there’s a chance of bass there.
Preston I’ve had strap conger, but could be bass and flatties there.
Greehill I’ve had strap conger, Ray, whiting and pouting at night.
Chesil I’ve had nothing but put in many hours. Hard place to fish. I would suggest that’s a separate thread for you to ask!
Harbour has flatties in the winter, and mullet and mackerel in the summer, plus Lrf small species.
Portland bill off the rocks you will get pollock and wrasse - lures or bait - I’ve never tried.
You will mostly find me on stone pier, convenient, easy access, variety of fish. Not guaranteed though, and can be uncomfortable in the wind!
Hope this helps happy if you want to ask me anything!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Weymouth stone pier is an ok mark from experience where I have fished it 10-15 times. Small wrasse on ragworm close to the structure. Can be very productive when the mackerel and gars are in on the float and there's also strap conger after dark. Pollock up to 2lbs also caught on float near structure. This has been in the summer months. Left side when walking up the pier is a lot cleaner ground than the right side which looks snaggy.

·
Registered
15,995 Posts
Loads and loads of Chesil advice on here mate.

Worth having a play with the search function as the main chesil areas have been summarised quite a few times.
Then come back with any specific questions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all will be staying in Weymouth 24April to 1st of May. New to sea fishing so I think I might try stone pier just want to catch a few fish hopefully I will. Think it’s probably the right place to go until I get a bit more use to what I am doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, here goes.......
Stone pier - good all rounder, summer mackerel and gar on the float, all sorts on the bottom, conger, plaice, pout, wrasse, whiting, flatties, bass. Lots of small species close in lLrf etc.
I’ve never fished Bowleaze, but there’s a reef close in to the right, I’ve heard there’s a chance of bass there.
Chesil I’ve had nothing but put in many hours. Hard place to fish. I would suggest that’s a separate thread for you to ask!
Harbour has flatties in the winter, and mullet and mackerel in the summer, plus Lrf small species.
Portland bill off the rocks you will get pollock and wrasse - lures or bait - I’ve never tried.
You will mostly find me on stone pier, convenient, easy access, variety of fish. Not guaranteed though, and can be uncomfortable in the wind!
Ok, here goes.......
:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Mike stone pier sounds the best option for me. I have only fished while on holiday as I live about as far from the sea as you can get but hopefully with your advice I may get a few bites maybe even a fish or two. Looks from what I can find out easy parking and not to much walking thanks once again might see you when I’m down last week in April

·
Registered
187 Posts
If I was down that way and wanted the best chance of catching a fish then I would get some ragworm from the local tackle shop there and keep my line close to the pier structure, all sorts of small wrasse and maybe some pollock too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts