World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Fishy Jim
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, i dont want any ****ing about on this thread, just a nice friendly little chatter with one another.

I wanted to share this with you guys, its a shark we brought for my slab this week cos i was being filmed for a programme next year, so we thought what a way to do it!!

Its a 17foot long thresher shark,....caught of brixham in devon.
It weighed 320kg and took a forklift to lift it so we could gut it!
The boat was called 'little neil' and i believe it was only 25ft long, however i am yet to do a little research to confirm this.

Its believed to be the largest thing caught of the south coast of england in 15 years,.......

heres a few pics for you all,. what do you think?

·
I'm easy!
12,297 Posts
Right, i dont want any ****ing about on this thread, just a nice friendly little chatter with one another.

I wanted to share this with you guys, its a shark we brought for my slab this week cos i was being filmed for a programme next year, so we thought what a way to do it!!

Its a 17foot long thresher shark,....caught of brixham in devon.
It weighed 320kg and took a forklift to lift it so we could gut it!
The boat was called 'little neil' and i believe it was only 25ft long, however i am yet to do a little research to confirm this.

Its believed to be the largest thing caught of the south coast of england in 15 years,.......

heres a few pics for you all,. what do you think?
Nice James,thanks for posting it!
What programme?

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
You would need a lot of chips to go with that fish!
Looking at the scale of the photos are you sure its 17' or is that a 'fishermans tale'?!

·
Fishy Jim
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice James,thanks for posting it!
What programme?
Some program about couples setting up farming,...i think its somthing like 'the good life' to be aired in january,....you wil see us in the background and being interviewed quiet abit.

You would need a lot of chips to go with that fish!
Looking at the scale of the photos are you sure its 17' or is that a 'fishermans tale'?!
its what the filliters said when they gutted it,..i wasnt in the yard when the hoisted the bugger up! i was getting coffees:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
So whats the shark got to do with farming?! I know there is fish farming but they normally just stick to trout or that sort of thing!!

·
Fishy Jim
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So whats the shark got to do with farming?! I know there is fish farming but they normally just stick to trout or that sort of thing!!
its about sourcing where your food comes from,.......i run the fish counter in this shop.

they though it would be a good place to film basically.........

·
Fishy Jim
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it's a shame it was killed.
so you would rather it go back maybe in pain, and with a pretty high possibility it will die and rot than go for food and be used up?

you will be washing in it next week as its remains are going in the offal bin to be processed along with the rest of animal waste into ,.................soaps and cosmetics!

:bones::bones::bones:

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
its about sourcing where your food comes from,.......i run the fish counter in this shop.

they though it would be a good place to film basically.........
Im still puzzled though James...............yes we eat fish and a fish counter is therfore a good place to film, but why a shark? Had it been a whopper cod or skate I could understand the relevance but Im sure in this country there is only a very limited market for shark steaks.
I tend to agree with the previous post that its a shame to kill a shark, particularly if its just going to end up in the offal bin but then if it was rod caught I probably wouldnt be at the front of the queu volunteering to take the hook out!

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
stonking fish mate ,thanks for posting that .by the size of the body ,when you add the thresher tale in it would make 17 ft no problem.
cheers rab

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
jeeeeps what size hook i wonder ,,,, cheers for sharing jimbo

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
When I first saw the title, I thought you'd caught a big spikey or a huge Suffolk sole, thanks for posting it anyways.

·
Fishy Jim
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im still puzzled though James...............yes we eat fish and a fish counter is therfore a good place to film, but why a shark? Had it been a whopper cod or skate I could understand the relevance but Im sure in this country there is only a very limited market for shark steaks.
I tend to agree with the previous post that its a shame to kill a shark, particularly if its just going to end up in the offal bin but then if it was rod caught I probably wouldnt be at the front of the queu volunteering to take the hook out!
I sold the whole of the tail end,..theres no waste there.
And from the head end over a half of it was sold to market in cambridge, so well over 3/4's of the thing went.
The remaining quater is being loined tomorrow,....and the fins removed, so basically the only waste was the head which is no different to any other fish realy,...

OH! and i got the jaws :spiteful::spiteful:

Not tried shark, will buy some next time I go to the shops.

Thats what I call a fish counter:thumbs:
Although it had an awesome fish on it, that counter looks abit scruffy as i run out of room for loads of stuff,......normally its divided into 2 counters, one for wet gear the other for shellfish and our smoked fish.
Still looks better than anyother in the region unless its one of our markets:roll1:

how many kilos of meat did you get off that beast and how much per kilo you selling it for?
I was selling it for £8.50kg steaks,...it flew out.
And loin was £12.50kg

Theres only one bone travel right up the centre of the fish, like rock eel so basically the whole thing is purely meat, no waste at all.

When I first saw the title, I thought you'd caught a big spikey or a huge Suffolk sole, thanks for posting it anyways.
I will post a report of me monster bass when i try me new rods out next week:punk::punk::punk:

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I hadnt realised there was a market for shark for the table [so at least thats one thing I learned yesterday!]
Thats it then, the next time I manage a trip to the beach Im gonna try and catch me a shark.........at those prices, if I sell a few lumps I'll soon have enough cash for the new gear Im saving up for!
Cheers

·
Registered
422 Posts
I hadnt realised there was a market for shark for the table [so at least thats one thing I learned yesterday!]
Thats it then, the next time I manage a trip to the beach Im gonna try and catch me a shark.........at those prices, if I sell a few lumps I'll soon have enough cash for the new gear Im saving up for!
Cheers
Ha Ha,

Me Too:D

·
Fishy Jim
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cheers
rock eel is basically shark,......bullhuss, dogfish, smoothies, all members of the shark family, once skinned any of these is sold as 'rock eel' or 'dog' and even 'rock salmon'.

I will admitt,. when i have shark i usually sell abit of it and when i saw this i never thought it would go,....but its sheir size and beauty of it attracted so many shark lovers and so many more willing to give shark ago,.... never sold as much shark before in 3years:clap3:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.