World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday night had to fish, but where - normal suspects came to mind:- Selsey, Pagham, Hayling or a bit more eastern than normal. With the weather being clear, windless, maybe the possibility of a bit rain and the sea being calm we knew the crowds would be hitting the beaches. Still unsure the about the venue hoping the next question may help us, what we are targeting:- hounds, bass or bream or just anything? Jake (my son) just wanted fish with no weed after encountering the toxic/smelly weed over the last few trips out at two different venues – Jakes simple reply didn’t help much. So the decision was made to target anything that swims (fish wise). Venue now chosen was Selsey West beach fully understanding the madding crowds and the fight for space would be on!!!
Bait collection time crab, rag, lug as normal enough for weeks campaign, but with the weather being calm out came the carp rods + beachcasters (2x rods each). All tackle and rigs - pulley, scratch even feathers now sorted and in the car.
One last check of wind and any messages before we leave, opps pm about “r u guys fishing Friday?” from a fellow WSF member L.F.SEA (Paul) – text sent explain our plan of attack at Selsey.
Cars loaded up heading to Selsey when a call from Paul and venue was changed to somewhere more eastern than Selsey – somewhere that had planned to target more. Arrived at Paul’s and off we went ready for a social and some fish. Started fishing about 8pm as expected the wind and sea were as internet promised. Out when the beachcasters loaded with crab and the carp rods with Rag and Lug on the scratch rigs – straight from the off the carp rods were rattling with little bass and eels (Jake was in front at this stage by a mile). The crab rods had a few strange knocks, each time taking a few turns off the spools and then nothing – we hit a couple of these resulting in no fish or weed very strange indeed???? Then at just after 21.00 the same as before a few turns off line of the spool and nothing, we had decided to leave a bit, another 5mins passed and the rod tip just bent over but not taking any line. After a struggle to move the thing that was stuck to the seabed it took off, not the runs of a hound or the darting of a nice bass but the steady pull of something different leaving my area and heading off towards the Pauls, the shout off “Paul arrrahh it’s coming your way could reel in a rod or two) Paul reeled in a joined Jake in the surf after a few more dogged runs and the arms started to ache – 10mins later Paul jumped in the surf and then back out just as quick as he saw the fish – then a bit more carefully in the surf this time and what was it ................

Photos taken and carefully returned for another day – thanks Paul for the landing and returning of the monster how big were those barbs mate!!!!
The rest of the night I didn’t mind what I caught. The crab rods only produced one other take for Jake but the fish knew where the groynes were and snood parted after that they stayed still for most of the night until the weed came at high tide. Stayed fishing until 00.15 then the weed got the better of us. Jake ended the evening with over 10 bass to my 4 and 5 eels between us and not forgetting the monster stingray to me. Paul had the biggest bass of the evening about 2-5 to 3lb safely returned.
Tight line, Dave & Jake

Attachments

·
Now in Littlehampton
3,474 Posts
Top Stinger and photo Dave, that's the first picture I've ever seen of someone holding a live Stinger :clap2::clap2::notworthy well done to Paul as well for getting it in for you :1a:

·
Registered
777 Posts
good work guys :clap3::clap3:

a LOT braver than me for holding on to a live one for the photo!

are you going to give us a better clue as to where you were?

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Great report and some great fishing there guys,,,,

·
Registered
434 Posts
Nice report Dave! Well made up for you mate. Look forward to fishing with you and Jake again soon.
Cracking stinger and well done Jake on the Bass and Eels. :thumbs:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When a last night to the same place but the sea condition were rougher and only fish playing were small bass and bootlace eels!! Not a touch on the crab baits all the other came to lug.

thanks for all the good comments, Dave.

G

·
nice size stinger dave!!!.....ugly buggers arn't they....:crazy:
i here it was covered in that black oily stuff...as they sometimes are..lol

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
cracking fish there mate - looks rather menacing - i see that you are holding its tail with a towel - are they safe to hold like this ? just wondering as i have never caught one and would not know how to handle one.
Steve.

·
Registered
102 Posts
great catch there,the barbs on the tail are pretty evil arent they...brave man posing for the camera with it...id love to get another one although it does get a bit hairy once they are on the beach lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice report Dave! Well made up for you mate. Look forward to fishing with you and Jake again soon.
Cracking stinger and well done Jake on the Bass and Eels. :thumbs:
Always good catching up, looks like we are all square now after i landed that 16lb hound for you last year, at least your hound didn't have a barb!!!!!

steve martin: "great catch there,the barbs on the tail are pretty evil arent they...brave man posing for the camera with it...id love to get another one although it does get a bit hairy once they are on the beach lol"

orbital: "great catch there,the barbs on the tail are pretty evil arent they...brave man posing for the camera with it...id love to get another one although it does get a bit hairy once they are on the beach lol"

Holding the stinger was not a rushed thing and both of use were pretty shattered after the 10min fight. Not sure if holding it with a towel was the right method but it's upto how calm the fish is and confident you feel - with due consideration for your welfare first.

Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts