World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fished friday night with Hugh (Crazyplums) somewhere near Whitehorses and had a great session,taking 5 Bass,best of 3lb to velvets and 4 or 5 Sole, best at 1lb so the mrs was happy, in fact she was so happy she suggested we got some crab and went to Selsey...
Well, who am i to argue!!!

Arrived at 5.30 to secure my place and found about 9 beach buddies already there!
So i set up just to the left of the windmill and chatted for a few hours with Trig? Dave and a fella from Bristol?
Started fishing about 9 oclock and Dave had already beached a couple of nice hounds before i took my first...a nice common of 8lb 4oz which was my PB as i've never targetted them before.:clap2:

Then the action came thick and fast as plenty more were caught, and i took another 4 with the smallest at 8lb and the biggest at 10lb 11oz:clap2: so got the double that i craved.

Then a nice 13lber was being weighed by Dave so i walked over to have a quick look......what a mistake.....:nono:

My Kompressor flew out of the rest and shot down the beach ...i ran across and dived on it just before it disappeared into the sea, the reel was covered in grit but still worked, and i was hanging on as the huge hound was taking line, the power of this fish was immense. I finally got it to the surfline but a combination of weed and another line caused my 60lb leader to part and the fish was gone.
Was definitely a Biggie, but hey ho,i'll get him next time!!

Ended up landing 5 and dropping 4, really enjoyed the buzz of it and can see why it can get addictive

2 damaged eyes on the rod and some damage to my 7HT...GUTTED...But my own fault for not loosening the drag when i walked away from my rod.Some lessons HAVE to be learnt the hard way i suppose.

All in all though, a great 2 nights fishing with very little sleep, and thoroughly enjoyed the fishing and the company... fished with some nice blokes.
Must do it again soon!!!!!!:clap2:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Well done Bakesy sounds like you had a good couple of sessions and approval from the wife is even better.

Well done on the PB:clap2::clap2:

Sorry to hear about the damage to the Rod & Reel mate, we all have these lapses of concentration.

Andy

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear about the damage to the Rod & Reel mate, we all have these lapses of concentration.

Andy
My own fault so can't moan...just relieved i was using my "old" Kompressor rather than my new Greys.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I must have been just down from you. Got there at 8 ish,about 20 fishermen from the end,first hound 5.9 that one was mine second one8.7 that one was caught by my wife..third 13.9 my wife had that one as well..fourth 11.6 that was mine.We were watching people catching as the fish were working along the beach.What a brilliant night,lost 2 as well.Packed up at midnight ,gave 4 spare peeler to the first chap fishing opposite club...he had caught 6 but nothing over 10.lbs Have never caught hounds before so for my wife and I to get DOUBLES..chuffed or what. Pete.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah a good night all round, nice to meet you Bakesy.

Sorry to have contributed to the loss of a good fish, I know what that feels like as I've had it done to me a few times.

Here's my best of the night.

11lb 10oz Selsey West (2c) 08 Aug 09.jpg

Going back tonight to find his dad!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Nice sessions well done, guess interflora will be visiting soon

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well done bakesy nice session ,I was at selsey on fri night had 6 dropped 4 biggest 10lb 12oz, creat fishing hey.:yeah:
ps I always set my drag light even when sitting close to my rods, those smutts shure can take off.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well done bakesy nice session ,I was at selsey on fri night had 6 dropped 4 biggest 10lb 12oz, creat fishing hey.:yeah:
ps I always set my drag light even when sitting close to my rods, those smutts shure can take off.
I had my drag set light but but tightened it after dropping a couple of fish when i failed to set the hook properly after a couple of slack liners and didn't catch up with the fish quick enough as i was all fingers and thumbs trying to tighten the drag...all part of the learning curve, after al i was a match angler for years so wasn't used to catching BIG fish, LOL.
Next time i will pay more attention, thats for sure.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had my drag set light but but tightened it after dropping a couple of fish when i failed to set the hook properly after a couple of slack liners and didn't catch up with the fish quick enough as i was all fingers and thumbs trying to tighten the drag...all part of the learning curve, after al i was a match angler for years so wasn't used to catching BIG fish, LOL.
Next time i will pay more attention, thats for sure.
Yeah i get the same problem sometimes dont think we are doing anything wrong , if the hook is only in the hard part of the mouth you will get a few pullouts. but thats fishing.
I was a freshwater angler untill last year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts