World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Government says it is asking the EU to allow shore netters to be able to land and sell bass (currently illegal) because of Welsh Administration, NEIFCA and NWIFCA shore-netting issues. But we don't know what those shore netting issues are, except a few shore netters in Holderness want to be able to land and sell bass.

Now we have left the EU, aren't sea anglers entitled to a proper democratic process for deciding our own fisheries laws? Do we think it is acceptable for the Government to make fishing opportunity policy decisions without public consultation, negotiate them with the EU behind closed doors and then deliver them to us a fait accompli? Why don't we get a say on the laws that will govern us?

You can tell the fishery managers what you think of this by sending an email to them via Save Our Sea Bass. Get your voice heard! It will only take a minute - clink on the link:

Shore Netting Campaign

·
Registered
169 Posts
I’d hate to see the bass nets return to the holderness. Some good bass caught early last season makes you think if they would still be about once the nets return.
Bloody IFCA just there to support the commercials! Interesting to see if the AT will question this in their upcoming meetings!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Same old same old....free for all when it comes to the commercials and any other interested stakeholders can do one!
Beginning to think that one of the biggest vote winners for leaving the EU is going to be an enormous own goal......our fisheries!
A golden opportunity to change things for the better, wasted, and gone in the blink of an eye...
Hope I'm wrong....
Mart.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Now we have left the EU, aren't sea anglers entitled to a proper democratic process for deciding our own fisheries laws?
Did you really and truthfully think it would be any different? You must be very gullible if you believed that leaving the EU would be a brand new dawn for anglers. Our fishery is run by the commercial sector, in the guise of Defra and through the MMO and the various IFCAs. It always has been and the bottom line is that Defra don't give a toss about the recreational sector whatever they may say. Having a Defra RSA team is purely window dressing just like the IFCA RSA meetings. "Secret deals behind closed doors"??? That has always been the case. Democracy - my backside! Defra have never been democratic.
Defra, (despite requests from the IFCAs), has blocked the introduction of a % to make the unavoidable bycatch bass legislation unenforceable. In April we will have the same situation again or potentially worse still, a targeted bass fishery for nets.
The Defra minister is a Cornish MP. Cornwall has a major issue with the illegal targeting of bass but his silence on the matter has been deafening, (although perhaps he hasn't been asked to comment)..
The IFCAs are partly funded by Defra which means Defra have leverage. Any bylaws that an IFCA wishes to introduce has to be ratified by Defra.
The MMO is a non departmental body also sponsored by Defra. They have already watered down the under ten landing app allowing fishermen to land their catches before completing the app. This has created a massive loophole which will have a negative impact on angling. I'm hearing that although many commercials initially registered to use the app few are actually doing so. The MMO can identify which netters are consistently and illegally targeting bass but chose not to. I won't even start to go into the shambles that was bass authorisations.
Anglers are getting pee'd on regularly. The simply don't matter whatever the fisheries bill might say. Suggesting we are a recognised stakeholder was just window dressing.
First off it needs to be recognised that Defra are the problem.
Its time to cut the head off the snake. Until Defra are exposed for what they are nothing will ever change.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Did you really and truthfully think it would be any different? You must be very gullible if you believed that leaving the EU would be a brand new dawn for anglers. Our fishery is run by the commercial sector, in the guise of Defra and through the MMO and the various IFCAs. It always has been and the bottom line is that Defra don't give a toss about the recreational sector whatever they may say. Having a Defra RSA team is purely window dressing just like the IFCA RSA meetings. "Secret deals behind closed doors"??? That has always been the case. Democracy - my backside! Defra have never been democratic.
Defra, (despite requests from the IFCAs), has blocked the introduction of a % to make the unavoidable bycatch bass legislation unenforceable. In April we will have the same situation again or potentially worse still, a targeted bass fishery for nets.
The Defra minister is a Cornish MP. Cornwall has a major issue with the illegal targeting of bass but his silence on the matter has been deafening, (although perhaps he hasn't been asked to comment)..
The IFCAs are partly funded by Defra which means Defra have leverage. Any bylaws that an IFCA wishes to introduce has to be ratified by Defra.
The MMO is a non departmental body also sponsored by Defra. They have already watered down the under ten landing app allowing fishermen to land their catches before completing the app. This has created a massive loophole which will have a negative impact on angling. I'm hearing that although many commercials initially registered to use the app few are actually doing so. The MMO can identify which netters are consistently and illegally targeting bass but chose not to. I won't even start to go into the shambles that was bass authorisations.
Anglers are getting pee'd on regularly. The simply don't matter whatever the fisheries bill might say. Suggesting we are a recognised stakeholder was just window dressing.
Its time to cut the head off the snake. Until Defra are exposed for what they are nothing will ever change.
Nail on Head

Time for Defra to prove otherwise

·
Registered
183 Posts
Wonder how long it will be until CIFCA cotton on and apply to do the same.
Interestingly i was talking to a commercial fisherman from Plymouth the other day who told me that they have a 1 per cent by catch of Bass imposed by Devon and Severn IFCA - if correct then why the disparity between CIFCA and DSIFCA.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wonder how long it will be until CIFCA cotton on and apply to do the same.
Interestingly i was talking to a commercial fisherman from Plymouth the other day who told me that they have a 1 per cent by catch of Bass imposed by Devon and Severn IFCA - if correct then why the disparity between CIFCA and DSIFCA.
TBH Pete I don't really see this being the case as far as nets are concerned. It should be easy to check. It may have been 1% for trawls and seines a year or so back.
The old catch composition for GNS, fixed gill nets, used 70% : 30%. The target species having to make up 70% of the catch. Given bass couldn't be legally targeted then the maximum you could land would have been 30%. That would have worked as its the BIG landings of high % of bass that are doing the damage. Unfortunately the MMO wouldn't enforce this. I know that the IFCAs asked Defra for clarification on this issue but didn't get it.
Defra want a targeted net fishery for bass and are deliberately making the legislation relating to unavoidable bycatch unenforceable in order to get it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
TBH Pete I don't really see this being the case as far as nets are concerned. It should be easy to check. It may have been 1% for trawls and seines a year or so back.
The old catch composition for GNS, fixed gill nets, used 70% : 30%. The target species having to make up 70% of the catch. Given bass couldn't be legally targeted then the maximum you could land would have been 30%. That would have worked as its the BIG landings of high % of bass that are doing the damage. Unfortunately the MMO wouldn't enforce this. I know that the IFCAs asked Defra for clarification on this issue but didn't get it.
Defra want a targeted net fishery for bass and are deliberately making the legislation relating to unavoidable bycatch unenforceable in order to get it.
I think you are right,he didn't elaborate any further but may have been referring to trawls and seines as you say.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think the lack of replys has answered your question 😂😂😂
If a little shore netting provides someone with much needed income , and food for a few people then it has to be a winner eh ?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What we are saying is pretty uncontroversial - due process should be followed in making UK fisheries laws, giving the public a proper say. And it is not acceptable for public bodies to lobby Government on an issue unless they have legitimately been given a mandate to do so. So I guess that is why there is not much debate on this thread - everyone agrees!

If a little shore netting provides someone with much needed income , and food for a few people then it has to be a winner eh ?
This thread isn't about the pros and cons of shore netting. But your argument is weak - just because an activity makes money, that doesn't make it a good activity. No doubt the fishermen working on super-trawlers are grateful that they earn enough money to put food on their family tables and the supermarkets are pleased to be able to sell cheap fish.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
That may well be the case in isolated areas not used by anglers and a host of other stakeholders but in heavily populated areas it would be a massive problem especially for shore anglers, swimmers, bathers, windsurfers etc. Problem with fisheries bylaws is that something like this would be pushed throughout the country or throughout the region causing conflict with other users. If you doubt that to be true then you need look no further than the new Sussex IFCA netting byelaw proposal sitting on a shelf somewhere, hopefully never to see it become law.

·
Registered
351 Posts
That may well be the case in isolated areas not used by anglers and a host of other stakeholders but in heavily populated areas it would be a massive problem especially for shore anglers, swimmers, bathers, windsurfers etc. Problem with fisheries bylaws is that something like this would be pushed throughout the country or throughout the region causing conflict with other users. If you doubt that to be true then you need look no further than the new Sussex IFCA netting byelaw proposal sitting on a shelf somewhere, hopefully never to see it become law.
Let's not forget reg , shore netting was totally legal until recently . Its not like it was favoured method . I think the holderness coast had the most and that was only 3-4 people . A counter argument to that would be anglers are far more dangerous swinging leads round in the summer than a few shore netters . We should be careful when we start throwing that argument about ?

·
Registered
24,175 Posts
Let's not forget reg , shore netting was totally legal until recently . Its not like it was favoured method . I think the holderness coast had the most and that was only 3-4 people . A counter argument to that would be anglers are far more dangerous swinging leads round in the summer than a few shore netters . We should be careful when we start throwing that argument about ?
Not many places these days would be suitable for beach netting anyway! Too much hassle because places are full of human traffic day and night!

Reactions: Had1lost2 and Jay74

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NWIFCA has advised Save Our Sea Bass that it has not made representations to the Government regarding bass shore netting in NWIFCA district. Accordingly we retract our claim that NWIFCA had secretly lobbied the Government on this issue and offer our sincere apologies to NWIFCA for this mistake and for any inconvenience caused.

Our incorrect claim was based on correspondence from the Government stating that its position on shore netting for bass reflected “NWIFCA shore-netting issues”. We have now asked the Government to explain why it believes there are NWIFCA shore-netting issues that need to be addressed by a change of law to allow shore netters to land bass.

We applaud NWIFCA for its enforcement actions on bass. In recent months it has prosecuted 6 individuals for offences relating to bass fishing restrictions resulting in fines totalling £8,376.

·
Registered
88 Posts
@ Big Yellow
You mention "the Government" several times in your post above.
When you refer to "the Government" do you mean Defra?

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you doubt that to be true then you need look no further than the new Sussex IFCA netting byelaw proposal sitting on a shelf somewhere, hopefully never to see it become law.
Reg, do you have a link to this byelaw? I'd be interested in looking at the details, seeing as I reside in the Land of the South Saxons. Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is probably still on the SxIFCA website.
Thanks, BigY.
Had a look at the SxIFCA & managed to track down the info on the 'Fixed Engine' listing. Need to get my head around much of the terminology, but certainly an interesting read for both commercial & recreational fishing.
Some of the details on the bye-laws locally very interesting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts