World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning everybody. I have done some research on the site and haven't come across comment on my proposed setup which is a MTI ZERO 300 with a Penn 525 Super Mag Extra. Wondered what you lads and lasses thought about this as a combination.

I fish clean and shingle beaches and this I thought might be a good setup for the winter cod season at places like Dungeness. I need a combination that can help put a bait out at long range

I have a £270 budget for the rod and reel so if you have alternatives, this is the chance to chip in. Help would as always be really appreciated.

Regards to all,

BH12neil

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Very good combo, that rod had good sensitivity and will handle rough stuff too :thumbs:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comment. The one think I was a little worried about was that the MTI casting weight only goes to 6oz. When at Dungeness in the past I have had to use a 7oz weight to hold bottom. Will this rod be up to casting a 7oz weight plus bait without chance of damage?

Regards,

BH12neil

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Thanks for the comment. The one think I was a little worried about was that the MTI casting weight only goes to 6oz. When at Dungeness in the past I have had to use a 7oz weight to hold bottom. Will this rod be up to casting a 7oz weight plus bait without chance of damage?

Regards,

BH12neil
No problems, most rods are underrated anyway. I have pendulumed 8 OZs on a 6 & bait no probs. I have currently an Imax 2 bi-ceps 3-4 OZs (handles 6 no probs) and a same rod 5-6 OZs...which would easily handle 8 I reckon....both way underrated, but superb sensitivity on 'em :yeah:

·
Banned
33 Posts

Regards,

BH12neil
The MTI & 525 mag will fish anywere, and for the price is super value, if shakespear had put a rrp lower than the £275 they would have sold a bucket load, and as for the casting weight 6 to 8 oz no problem, and for fishing dungeness with this set up for winter cod would be ideal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts