World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After losing my anchor today for the 2nd time i think i need to try something different.

Ive got a 14ft mayland and have been using a 4.5kg folding grapnel. Now sometimes its ok but twice now its become stuck and just will not budge.

Is there another anchor style i would be best to try? If so what style and size?

Is a bruce style any good? it will be used in areas with mixture of sand and rocks

any help much appreciated

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
After losing my anchor today for the 2nd time i think i need to try something different.

Ive got a 14ft mayland and have been using a 4.5kg folding grapnel. Now sometimes its ok but twice now its become stuck and just will not budge.

Is there another anchor style i would be best to try? If so what style and size?

Is a bruce style any good? it will be used in areas with mixture of sand and rocks

Get a manson supreme,there self tripping,i have anchored in some really rough ground,got it back no probs,has exelent bite,and holding power,llyods approved too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Get your self a 5kg bruce and rig it to trip I have never seen one not come back up yet.

Attach you chain to the front hole of the bruce with a shackle and then run the chain along the leg to the hole at the leg end of the bruce and attach the chain to that with a few cable ties then when you pull out the cable ties brake and the anchor is lifted from the front hole

·
Registered
330 Posts

I use a bruce anchor with a weak link and never had any problem's,at the blade end attach your chain and run the chain down the shank then secure with a decent piece of nylon twine,splice your rope into the chain and bobs your uncle,all you have to do is check that the weak link is in good order before you anchor,If you do come hard and fast then the weak link parts and lifts your anchor from the crown or blade end.simples!A 5 kg bruce should be plenty.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
As others have said a Bruce "style" of around 4-5kgs will cover the majority of situations coupled to 1.5 x your boat length of 6 or 8mm chain & sufficient warp. Rigged to trip (I use 2 x 7.6mm cable ties) if it gets stuck the cable ties or whatever weak link you use will snap & the anchor will be pulled out backwards.
Grapnel type anchors especially the folding style are really only any use in really rough ground or for dropping into wrecks.

headlight

1 - 6 of 6 Posts