World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when we finally get out of this mess where will you be wanting to head to and what will you be wanting to catch?

For myself a decent ray or huss session on the West of Anglesey around Cable bay / Ty Croes area would be very welcome, to try and beat my p.b and just to get a few beasties under my belt and blow the cobwebs off with some propper rod benders. I'm also tempted to have a crack at the plaice at Mostyn as well before the smoothies and big toothy critters descend on Wales in numbers, as never really chased the plaice before.

Assuming if Wales was open before summer.

What about yourselves?

Reactions: andy1965

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
I'm still fishing locally, but apart from small bits and pieces it's been quiet.

My choice of fishing when we're finally allowed to travel, will depend on exactly when the evil emperor Drakeford 🧛‍♀️ gives us the go-ahead.

If it's in early March, and conditions allow, then it will probably be a ray session on the West coast for me too. If it's nearer April then it will be a lure session, most likely in the Straits.

Reactions: Timbc2

·
Registered
11,136 Posts
Ive fished most days locally [North East] mixing it up. Cod fishing when its rough. Scratching when its quiet. Flounders on the beach, Bass session on bait and a lot of lrf in our local marina.
I think our first trip will be to SW Scotland for the rays.

·
Registered
491 Posts
would like a go at the plaice myself Tim , one for the table , its been a long time since I last ate one , but nice to eat and its very rare I take anything for the table

·
Registered
491 Posts
Think we used to get a few off Beaumaris pier , but that was many years ago and don't know if that's still the case , I'm sure there are better marks but yeah a good one for the table would be nice , maybe I'll get down the fishmongers lol

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm still fishing locally, but apart from small bits and pieces it's been quiet.

My choice of fishing when we're finally allowed to travel, will depend on exactly when the evil emperor Drakeford 🧛‍♀️ gives us the go-ahead.

If it's in early March, and conditions allow, then it will probably be a ray session on the West coast for me too. If it's nearer April then it will be a lure session, most likely in the Straits.
I was once fishing on the lower platform, below where you sometimes perch, probably around ten years ago or more, and me and my mate climbed up the top after a session to find two guys up there. We'd forgotten to get some bait elastic and were heading to the breakwater afterwards to spend the rest of the night there, fishing and kipping in my car. I asked the two anglers if they had any spare elastic I could buy off them and I was given 2 or 3 rolls by one of the guys who wouldn't accept any money. Looking back, I sometimes wonder if it was you Andy as I've a feeling this person resembled you but I wasn't on the forums as much back then.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ive fished most days locally [North East] mixing it up. Cod fishing when its rough. Scratching when its quiet. Flounders on the beach, Bass session on bait and a lot of lrf in our local marina.
I think our first trip will be to SW Scotland for the rays.
I've heard of some good ray fishing that way but never been to Scotland to fish myself, only sight seeing. I've done a bit of research over lock down and looks to be some great fishing in that area and some lovely looking pubs that do accommodation. Mind you my neice is now studying at Edinburgh University so I have another reason to get up and give some places in Scotland a go.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would like a go at the plaice myself Tim , one for the table , its been a long time since I last ate one , but nice to eat and its very rare I take anything for the table
Yeah same hear, I don't very often eat much I catch but then havn't really fished for "tea" style species for a good while. I eat a fair bit of smoked mackerel and have often thought about smoking it but the temptation to use it for bait for big stuff is always too great. Been a very long time since I've had plaice but really enjoy eating it.

Reactions: col2496

·
Registered
11,136 Posts
I've heard of some good ray fishing that way but never been to Scotland myself. I've done a bit of research over lock down and looks to be some great fishing in that area and some lovely looking pubs that do accommodation.
I've heard of some good ray fishing that way but never been to Scotland myself. I've done a bit of research over lock down and looks to be some great fishing in that area and some lovely looking pubs that do accommodation.
Messaged ;)

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
I'll likely try and do something about bumping my Welsh shore species count up over 50. Been stuck on 48 for ages. Need to get my back fixed first though - tore the latissimus muscle last week. No casting until that is fully mended! Jesus it hurt - at first spasming in reponse to any movement. Slowly improving now. So what species do I need? Things like smooth-hound, spotted ray, but there are a few of the mini-ones GarethP used to get that would also do the trick! If the back carries on being an arse, I guess LRF could be my route to relative sanity!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'll probably do my usual yearly routine, go down and smash through a few hundred Bass on lures end of may through june, get bored and spend the rest of summer diving with a bit of dry fly fishing here and there.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
I was once fishing on the lower platform, below where you sometimes perch, probably around ten years ago or more, and me and my mate climbed up the top after a session to find two guys up there. We'd forgotten to get some bait elastic and were heading to the breakwater afterwards to spend the rest of the night there, fishing and kipping in my car. I asked the two anglers if they had any spare elastic I could buy off them and I was given 2 or 3 rolls by one of the guys who wouldn't accept any money. Looking back, I sometimes wonder if it was you Andy as I've a feeling this person resembled you but I wasn't on the forums as much back then.
I’m afraid that wasn’t me mate. If you’re talking about a well known ray mark on the West coast ;), then I always fish a lower ledge and if my favourite spot is taken, I find somewhere else rather than fish above another angler.

That was very generous of the lads to give you some bait elastic though, goes to show that despite there being a few selfish idiots about, the majority of anglers are decent guys (y).

·
Registered
15 Posts
So when we finally get out of this mess where will you be wanting to head to and what will you be wanting to catch?

For myself a decent ray or huss session on the West of Anglesey around Cable bay / Ty Croes area would be very welcome, to try and beat my p.b and just to get a few beasties under my belt and blow the cobwebs off with some propper rod benders. I'm also tempted to have a crack at the plaice at Mostyn as well before the smoothies and big toothy critters descend on Wales in numbers, as never really chased the plaice before.

Assuming if Wales was open before summer.

What about yourselves?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Catching some stonking plaice at mostyn at the moment but they are really thin and out of condition,The same fish caught in august/september would be around the two and a half to three pound mark.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Catching some stonking plaice at mostyn at the moment but they are really thin and out of condition,The same fish caught in august/september would be around the two and a half to three pound mark.
Cheers for the info, I'll have to have a crack there later in the year then

Reactions: col2496

·
Registered
22,773 Posts
That is very early for the plaice to be there. Usually just rockling about now

·
Registered
24,244 Posts

·
Registered
24,244 Posts
Flounders won't be back there for a month or so yet. Maybe it's going to be a good year for the plaice
May and June plaice are wafer thin here get the proper fattys end of July onwards.

Reactions: valleyboy
1 - 20 of 25 Posts