World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a firm believer that sea fish are mostly opportunistic predators, eating dead or decaying fish, sandeels etc.

I see people in tackle shops spending enormous amounts on crab etc when apart from smoothound, most fish seem to take makeral , squid or sandeel.

Havin said that makeral is a bait I find a bit awkward to use, it is a bit chunky, do regulars here buy it in frozen fillets or whole fresh?

I use sandeel mostly and small whole squid.

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
To be honest the only reason i use crab is because i think it got a cracking scent trail and fish find it quicker.

Me and valley boyo have fished Penarth beach and caught plenty codling on crab while others near us have caught small whiting or blanked because they aint using crab

I don't think our skills would set us apart from anyone else (we not brilliant) so it must be the different bait :confused:

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fishing is so wierd, i fished lantwit the other day, bloke next to me was casting to the moon, had fresh peeler, caught nowt, all i had was frozen squid and sandeel, I had fish, mind you only pouting.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Bluebeard

I use rag/lug, squid and mackerel. Am going to give crab a go for the first time when i next go fishing.

Woodster

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
I also use all other baits squid macky sandeel lug rag mussel razorfish it really depends on where i am fishing and species available.

I try and take macky and squid all the time - good all round baits on most venues
try different baits till I catch and then use the one i caught on till I stop catching and then try again

I have yet to use white ragworm though I have read this is a good bait

I Put a post up about where I could dig some but no replies :confused:

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
ive never used crab..most people here know why!

BUT,,ive seen my brother bring in some cracking codling and flounder using crab,,

But i havent brought anything in(to those standards) using squid, sandeel, worm and mackeral.

so maybe theres somthing to it..but im still not sure if im willing to use crab yet...

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,214 Posts
I saw a guy spend £30 on bait a few weeks back. Saw him again this week in the tackle shop telling the owner that he had blanked. I,m sorry, but I,ve spent two quid on mackerel from Tesco and had a blinder of a session and if you are daft enough to blow thirty quid on rag, fresh peelers and God knows what for a few hours fishing, then you deserve to blank.

I,ve had some of my best days fishing with mackerel, squid and frozen sandeels. I may not always get huge fish, I may not always catch at all, but at least you don't go home kicking yourself for wasting thirty quid.

I think you are spot on, sea fish are opportunistic predators and will eat just about anything. The skill is in how the bait is presented and how to time your trip according to time, tide, weather etc.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
gale-force-rob said:
if you are daft enough to blow thirty quid on rag, fresh peelers and God knows what for a few hours fishing, then you deserve to blank.
Thats a bit harsh innit??

You cant have a go at someone for trying ,just coz you spent a few quid and a good session.Doesn't mean everyone who does the same as you did,would have the same luck

What if that guy spent 30 quid,,and hadent blanked??,maybe he was having the fishing session of his life,What if he did what you did,while he was having this great session,,and suddenly run out of bait??

The thing is this,

You never know!,,£3 or £30,,you can blank on either,or have the best fishing ever on either

At the end of the day,its up to you what you pay to enjoy yourself

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Nothing wrong with using crab and worms £30 does seem a little over the top though.

I also see a skill in choosing the right bait as well as right times tides tactics :eek:

It can be expensive for some people......
but with a little effort collecting/digging your own bait can make fishing all the more enjoyable - getting to see the shore at low water is always a good thing.

Being on the beach for me is enjoyable whatever I do fishing, walking whatever

·
Registered
413 Posts
Gael force, Not being funny but How much would you spent on a night out? I know where I would prefer to spend £30. At least most of the time you will catch and have something better than a hangover to show for it. But every one if different.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
If it was Anglers Corner that is and it was £33 not 30 but there were 4 of us fishing-and we didn't quite blank we had a couple of schoolies and flounder one of which was big enough to eat. I have dug my own bait but I'm rarely organised enough to do it successfully, when I'm on the beach I want to fish not spend my time bent over a garden fork (if 'er indoors found out I'd be in the bloody flower beds in the garden next). She'd also kill me if she found out how much bait cost-I can hear it now do you know how much fish we can get in Tescos for that amount?

·
Registered
186 Posts
i tend to collect my own bait as i fish a lot of matches, for example there is a match on cefn sidan soon and i will be taking 2lb of maddies, 1lb of blacks, 1/4 lb of kings, razor fish and half a dozen peelers. if i bought that lot in a shop it would come to over fifty pounds. i believe you only get out of this sport what you put in. if some one is prepared to pay £30 for bait then good luck to them if they were fishing next to me they would still run out of bait first.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
You need to have the right bait for whichever species you`re after.Try float fishing for wrasse using mack/sandeel and you`ll sit there all day without a bite...spend a few quid on rag/crab and you`ll have great sport all day.There`s places i fish for bass,which will only take blow lug...you can have a bucket of fresh crab but you wont catch.At the end of the day,you need to know which bait you should take...sometimes you will have a great session using cheap stuff,other times you`ll need to pay for quality bait,or collect your bait yourself....i find that aspect almost as enjoyable as the fishing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Always use frozen macky and frozen squid - usually just tip the worm (usually rag if i feel the need to get some) off with either - unless I'm trying for a bigger fish.

Generally cut strips off the frozen macky - either centmeter to tip - or a few inches woven and secured above the hook - and through the hook shank - like a lure I spose...

Tried crab a few times - had a mare keeping it on the hook - need more praccy I guess - last time i tried, ended up with more bait elastic than bait - cast - and watched the crabs legs and other bits go into orbit ending up with just elastic on the hook.

Havent caught anything with bait elastic yet :)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
i've only recently moved to the coast and had the oppertunity think about bait, i dig my own because i can't afford to buy it, but i find that i can get bait that is not available in tackle shops, i get maddies, blow lug, peelers, white rag, clams, mussels, cockles, prawns/shrimps and anything else i can get, i've only blanked twice since last september.
i think every bait has it's place. peelers are great in rough ground and after a blow or in coloured water, no matter what anyone says one of the best baits i've ever found for surf bass is blow lug.
i went out today and i caught dabs for the first time on peelers and only picked up doggies on blow lug, which is the exact opposite to normal.
I used to fish in norfolk, and the only lug u could get there was blow lug (200 at a time) since moving to north wales people only seem to want black lug and i have found it useless, the bloke in the shop almost seemed to laugh when i asked about places to dig blow lug!!! i think everyone gets stuck in their ways and use the same stuff day in day out, how many people have tried live prawns? i've caught most species of fish on them, especial on those bright days when the waters clear and u start to feel there isn't a fish in the sea!!!
Rant over.

·
Registered
325 Posts
seymour fish said:
i tend to collect my own bait as i fish a lot of matches, for example there is a match on cefn sidan soon and i will be taking 2lb of maddies, 1lb of blacks, 1/4 lb of kings, razor fish and half a dozen peelers. if i bought that lot in a shop it would come to over fifty pounds. i believe you only get out of this sport what you put in. if some one is prepared to pay £30 for bait then good luck to them if they were fishing next to me they would still run out of bait first.
as with any sport you only get 100% out of it if you put 100% in to it i personally spent hundreds in the local tackle shops when i first started and didnt know where i was going and what i was doing !with nobody to advise me as what tides to fish what rigs to use what bait to get it was a matter of trial and error and it took a while to figure out the beauty of simple rotten bottom rigs and using bait indigenous to the area you are fishing like using peeler you collected at bottom water to fish at top probably all common practice to the boys that have been fishing years but when you're starting out all you need is someone to help you out a little bit when i first started most fishermen were worried sick about giving you a bit of advice thinking you were going to catch all their fish! thats why i like this website because you get advice(you never stop learning) most people on the site seem conservation minded (they have fishing in mind) there are also youngsters on the site that can benefit from the knowledge that we have by not being afraid to share it! but having said all that sometimes you have to dip in your pocket lets be fair its worth it !

P

·
0 Posts
I generally use:

Ragworm
Mackerel
Squid, baby and the large ones
Sandeel <- great under the float

Lugworm <- now and again
Crab <-- now and again

Livebaits <-- now and again

It all depends where I am fishing, and, how I am fishing.

If I am float fishing, then,

I use mckaerel strips (mainly the silver part)

sandeel: either the small ones whole or the large ones in sections

Baby squid, great under the float if slightly off, you can put more than one on the hook, depending on the size of the hook.

Livebaits, depending on thier size

Basically, in my opinion, you have to be prepared to adjust your style and baits for the location and conditions!

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,214 Posts
Originally posted by Marcus - The Big, Purple Dancing fella

You cant have a go at someone for trying ,just coz you spent a few quid and a
good session.Doesn't mean everyone who does the same as you did,would have the same luck
Wasn't having a go at the guy, it's just that he spent ten minutes whinging to the tackle shop owner about wasting thirty quid. If he spent ages telling him what a great day he'd had, even though he had blanked, I'd say fairy nuff. Fishing is just as much about fresh air and wet wellies as it is about catching fish.

There is nothing wrong with spending lots of money on bait, but if you are going to endlessly moan about not catching afterwards what's the point?

NIce to see someone with a valid opinion. Thanks for that. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
gale-force - quote "Wasn't having a go at the guy, it's just that he spent ten minutes whinging to the tackle shop owner about wasting thirty quid. If he spent ages telling him what a great day he'd had, even though he had blanked, I'd say fairy nuff. Fishing is just as much about fresh air and wet wellies as it is about catching fish."
couldnt agree more, thats why its called fishing not catching.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts