World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I want to paint my boat. It is at the moment a ****ty light blue colour topsides with white hull red antifoul.
I want to repaint the topsides Navy blue.
question 1, what paint do I use.
question 2, where can I get it (preferably south wales.

This maybe a silly question but there you are.
I have looked in youngs boatyard and a couple of others but they only seem to sell antifoul.
Question 3, (in 3 parts) :g: I have it antifouled but it is trailered, do I need antifoul, do I need to renew the antifoul, can I paint over it, I really do not want to scrape it all off,:yucky: but if I have to then OK.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Firstly, what is your boat made of - I assume fibreglass, if so, then is it already painted? If not I would go for a two pack International - expensive but a great fisnish and very strong. If it has already been painted you need to know what sort of paint so what you put on top does not melt what is underneath and go mucky. Same for antifoul, if you know what is on there alreday, and as long as it is not flaking off, you can paint over with a compatible antifoul. If you don't know, you will have to strip it off, alternatively take a chance and try some on a patch to see what happens.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Hi
I want to paint my boat. It is at the moment a ****ty light blue colour topsides with white hull red antifoul.
I want to repaint the topsides Navy blue.
question 1, what paint do I use.
question 2, where can I get it (preferably south wales.

This maybe a silly question but there you are.
I have looked in youngs boatyard and a couple of others but they only seem to sell antifoul.
Question 3, (in 3 parts) :g: I have it antifouled but it is trailered, do I need antifoul, do I need to renew the antifoul, can I paint over it, I really do not want to scrape it all off,:yucky: but if I have to then OK.
International Synthetic would do the topside and hull as well, can be brushed on pretty easily with a minimum of brush marks when it's fully dried, the brushmarks that are there when you're painting will mostly disappear when the paint dries and shrinks.
2 Pack Acrylic is tougher than synthetic, is harder to brush on as it dries faster and it will be thinner than synthetic as you will have to add the hardener, which will thin the paint, but it can be done, is toxic if sprayed and the fumes breathed in.

Most chandlers should stock international yacht paint (synthetic) motor factors for 2 pack.

You don't need anti foul on a trailered boat, both 2 pack and synthetic should cover old anti foul as long as it's rubbed down and any flaky stuff removed.

AL ..

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
International Toplac for the hull.
Give the Blakes hull paint a miss, myself and a friend have used it and didn`t like it one bit.

Alan

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
thanks all for your replies looks like a paint job in on the cards.
Take a close look at the colours Warrior have used on their boats. I tend to think of 'navy' as a very dark blue, but mine is called ultramarine blue I think, and I don't think it looks as good as the latest dark blue that Warrior use which I think is called Oxford blue. If you check out this site then look for rehttp://fishing_boats.tripod.com/views of Warrior boats you will see some in each kind of blue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts