World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone..iv just got myself 2 abu 6600 reels for use on my boat at a very tidy price..:)..but have never used braid b4..any suggestions to what colour make strength and how much to put on the new reels plz

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
You will be fine with 20lb PowerPro green, use a monofil leader on the end. When spooling up new reels I tend to be a tight git and back them up with old monofil. You'll be fine with 100 yards of braid but it is a bit cheaper to buy in bigger spools usually.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
depends what breaking strain you are thinking of useing .seeing as its on abu 6600 i would think quite light .have a look at the whiplash crystle line as it is very thin. i would try to get as much on reel as pos 20 to 30 lbs i recond that you would get 300yds on your reels. the problem useing 100yds if you get a couple of snap offs it wont leave you enough line left on reels.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
30lb braid. 300 yards should do it. might need some backing tho to fill it.

G

·
Well I've had that cheap Hong Kong stuff off Ebay and was well impressed.
Yep. Me too. Spectra. I have 20lb green on an Okuma Induron, 30lb yellow on both Shimano Charter Specials & a TLD15, 120lb mauve on a 2-speed Beastmaster and 20lb blue on an Okuma Epix Pro 50. I buy it in 500 metre & 1000 metre spools.

I use 15lb fluorocarbon leaders on the 20lb braid, 25lb fluo on the 30lb, and a wind-on 100lb mono leader on the 120lb.

As an experiment, I ran a double length of the 120lb from the tow hitch of the 'Lander to the trailer with the Strikeliner on it, jockey wheel at maximum. It held, no problem.

Just accept that it's a 2-3 week delay from order to receipt.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
cheers for ya help guys...got my eye on 50lb braid made by penn..220yards for 14.99..:)
Way too heavy for your little reel mate, are you going for big congers?. Don't forget that if you do get snagged seriously you have to somehow break out!

Interesting replies from some others......if you have a couple of break offs with your 100yds of line rip the rest off and re-spool to the proper height on the spool rim, takes just a few minutes to do.

I used to import and sell braid way before it got really popular, wish I'd carried on with it now seeing how much it is used.

I've used some of the cheap stuff from the far east and it's always been OK, for quickness of supply you can get stuff like PowerPro here if you want to get going.

Be careful to put it on under a bit of tension or it won't bed on the spool properly.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
The point of braid is it is very thin for the given breaking strain (and doesn't stretch) so it will cut through Solent tides and hold bottom. If you go for thicker 50lb braid you defeat the object, you will be having to use heavier weights again. 30lb braid is plenty, you will be able to land anything that swims in the Solent with that. Unlike mono, the given breaking strain of braid is often lower than that actual break point, a 30lb braid may go 35lb plus before breaking.

G

·
The point of braid is it is very thin for the given breaking strain (and doesn't stretch) so it will cut through Solent tides and hold bottom. If you go for thicker 50lb braid you defeat the object, you will be having to use heavier weights again. 30lb braid is plenty, you will be able to land anything that swims in the Solent with that. Unlike mono, the given breaking strain of braid is often lower than that actual break point, a 30lb braid may go 35lb plus before breaking.
Spot on. Excellent advice.

30 lb whiplash or 20lb power pro would be my recommendations

Power pro knots better and is nice and stiff, whiplash is super thin
But the Chinese Spectra is as good as any, and knots well. What folks forget is that you don't need line with a breaking strain superior to the weight in open air of the fish on the end of it. Not until you've got it to the side of the boat, but then you use the landing net or gaffe..........

With Tope we use a 150lb leader behind a wire trace to 30lb main line. The 150lb mono leader isn't because of the weight of the fish. It's because it won't cut into your hand as much when you are trying to control 30-90lbs of angry fish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.