World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to load an abu cardinal with braid for spinning... having never used braid before, i just wandered what the general concensus was about brands of braid and their respective pros and cons?? thanks in advance....:notworthy

T

·
0 Posts
Go considerably heavier than your normal mono line would have been.

eg: If 8lb was your normal plugging / spinning mono breaking strain then go 30lb on the braid.
I have found it excellent, but doesn't like the sudden shock of casting even a small 3/4 ounce plug etc.

You'll maintain all the benefits of braid with heavier line, but without the failings of going to light.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Get a round braid not a flat one,I use Fireline and Antares

·
Registered
213 Posts
I use 30lb waveblaster and i think its great stuff its round and really limp.But if i am fishing over rocks wich is what i do mostley then i prfer to use 14lb mono as i dont like the thought of having to replace braid all the time as its alot more expensive.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Fireline for me too (20lb)!!

Having first tried braid about two years ago, I would never use mono again!! Its amazing the way that you can feel the lure brushing every bit of weed, every rock and boulder, and feel every little nip, hit, and shake of the fish!!!

Cheers,
Frags

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Easy 30lb Berkley Whiplash. Some people find it a bit fine, but you will never have any problems as long as you just underfill the spool and manually close and check the bail arm after casting. Using a heavy braid has actually helped me get snagged lures back that i would have lost with lightr mono. Just dont bend the rod into the snag, wrap the braid around a section of broom handle and walk gently backwards pointing the rod at the snag.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Personally I prefer fireline to whiplash (thats for spinning and ledgering). I can't put it down to any particular reason, both are brilliant lines, I just prefer fishing with fireline! Whiplash is very fine, so I would go for 20-30lb and wear some sort of finger guard :fishing:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yeah never pull for a break with bare hands.It just slices your skin painfully as i found out. Also always underfill the spool slightly and put the bail arm down manually. that way you will not get any wind knots in your line or have the braid spin up badly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts