World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#810541'>Hi everyone&#33;

Next week I am going to Torquay. I will try spinning for bass, pollack, mackerel and garfish.
Can you advise me what braid to use, please.
I am familiar with Foxes Fire Line. Is there something more suitable for the sea?
Thank you&#33;</font>

·
Registered
17 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I always use whiplas braid, have done for over 6 years, its good stuff ,the 50lbs breaking braid is loaded on fix spool reels so no shock leader is use at all. i only change it after 2 seasons of solid use.Torquay, don&#39;t forget to fished the river teign @ shaldon.Go over the bridge to teignmouth side,walk along the water edge to find the live sandeels sellers,cost about £5 per 40 eels.Then go back to shaldon side or stay where you are but i find the shaldon better because its less boat traveling through over at that side of the river.Use a soft carp rod with a  small drill bullet lead, ghost line (6lbs) hook length 3-4feet with 2.0 fine wire hook.Put the eels on with hook throught its eyes or just on the lip,cast out and feel the lead bouncing on the bottom.the take from a bass is very sharp so hold on to your rod.If you want fishing off the rocks then hope nose takes some beating for most speices caught from one venue.Wish i was coming down with ya...</font>

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font color='#810541'>Thanks a lot shoreangling &#33;

That&#39;s what I call an advise. I can&#39;t wait to go now.

PS &nbsp;What is<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ghost line [/b][/quote]?</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
<font color='#000080'>Hi
Ghost line is flourocarbon line, it apparently has the same light refraction index as water (what ever that means) which makes it virtually invisible in water&#33; &nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>I believe light refractive index is the frequency of light and hence the colour emitted by the water molecules when they absorb incoming light.

When compounds such as water absorb a certain colour/frequency they emit the opposite colour to the absorbed light.</font>

·
Registered
170 Posts
<font color='#000000'>hi vlad
just to let u know that i fished ogmore by sea last night all night not one bite the fish must have gone on holidays
</font>

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font color='#810541'>Thanks ekyone&#33;
I&#39;ve never used fluorocarbon line before, but I&#39;ll give it a go.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Thanks fishing_fanatic &#33;
That was a good try on optical physics. Just a small point - the water molecules emit light only when irradiated by huge doses of gama rays. I personally prefer the rays with fins.:);)

Tight lines&#33;</font>

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font color='#810541'>Thanks for the info merv_shill &#33;

I hope, you enjoyed it nevertheless.

It does not look rosy, does it?
I just found out there is no cheap accommodation available in Torquay because of the Bank Holiday thing.
I don&#39;t know where to go.
I hope I won&#39;t end up doing the garden during the Bank Holiday.
The missy will love it though.
</font>

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Vlad you seem to have more of an understanding then me about the refractive index thing, I thought that when light of any frequency is absorbed by any molecule the molecules become excited, some of the incedent energy is absorbed and the rest at lower wavelength/frequency is re-emitted giving the observed colour</font>

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>Sorry guys for the deviation, just a thirst for knowledge thats all and I&#39;d rather be told the right thing then chat rubbish for the rest of my life. So enlighten me any one who knows.</font>

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>I&#39;ll find the exact definition on the web, just incase anyone was interested.</font>

Last edited by fishing_fanatic at 1093369224

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>Here is the exact definition "refractive index (n, ): Of a medium, the ratio of the velocity of propagation of an electromagnetic wave in vacuum to its velocity in the medium".

I have been chatting rubbish, sorry guys
, I may have a degree in chemistry but my physics knowledge has a lot to be desired.</font>

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<font color='#810541'>Sorry fishing_fanatic &#33;
I am cheating.
I am an eye surgeon, that&#39;s why I know about refractive indexes - I ought to.
The refractive index is to do with the angle at which the light is bent when passing through  transparent materials. It does depend on its molecule structure. If we put a transparent object in liquid with the same refractive index, it becomes invisible. The light goes straight through Not bending at the interface between the two materials.
For example, I put plastic lenses in the patients eyes with the same refractive index as the air.
Enough of that. Let&#39;s catch some fish&#33;</font>

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>I second that, no problem thanks for the education. I looked it up in one of my books and on the internet but cheers.:D</font>

·
Registered
19 Posts
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (fishing_fanatic @ Aug. 24 2004,18:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><font color='#000000'>Hi Vlad you seem to have more of an understanding then me about the refractive index thing, I thought that when light of any frequency is absorbed by any molecule the molecules become excited, some of the incedent energy is absorbed and the rest at lower wavelength/frequency is re-emitted giving the observed colour</font>[/b][/quote]
<font color='#0000FF'>This sounds like flourescence to me........ But then I am no expert like Vlad.

Refraction of light is the light scattering-ability a material posseses, the degree of which is related to the size of molecule.

Light reflected from materials is a certain colour because all other colours (or wavelenths) of light are absorbed. Fluorescence only occurs if the material abosrbs energy such that electrons are easily excited into higher energy states. This is a quatum process, or all or nothing, so not all things fluoresce in normal light. Hence Vlads &#39;gamma-ray&#39; thing; extreme energy radiation is necessary for exciting the electrons in water sufficiently to leave and re-enter their stable state.

I also know a lot about bacteria, which I often engage young ladies with at dinner parties.

Yes I am single.</font>

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>Sorry guys I was getting confused. What I described is fluorescence and has nothing to do with refractive indicies.

So blue how do you know all of this? the average joe has very little understanding of flourescence and other radiative &nbsp;processes.</font>

Last edited by fishing_fanatic at 1093461150

·
Registered
19 Posts
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (fishing_fanatic @ Aug. 25 2004,20:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><font color='#000000'>Sorry guys I was getting confused. What I described is fluorescence and has nothing to do with refractive indicies.

So blue how do you know all of this? the average joe has very little understanding of flourescence and other radiative  processes.</font>[/b][/quote]
<font color='#0000FF'>I am a mine of useless information.

And I did a biochemistry degree years ago.</font>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts