World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all pluggers,
I'm thinking of adding a Maria Chase BW, Yozuri Mag Popper and Slug go softies to my armoury( after reading all the hype on these forums).
Has anyone got ideas on which colours generally work best for each type.I know different colours may suit different venues and conditions etc. but the dreaded credit crunch will only allow me to buy one colour of each.(for now)

Cheers

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Maria Chase I'd go for Holo Silver first, silvers just seem to work.

For the Slug go I went for Bubble Gum for day light and black for low light dark. I've only fished with these once and haven't caught yet, but from reports I've read these are as good a start as any.

For the Yozuri Mag Popper maybe try and match the colour to bait fish in the area you are gong to fish.

Only getting out there is going to tell you that you have made the right choice, more important is finding where and when to chuck them in the water.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,490 Posts
Most of my lures over the years have been silver with some red in them.
Silver to reflect the light and some red to add to that 'wounded' look.
Obviously not all my lures are the same colour but most of them have lots of silver in them etc.
I have always been sceptical about lure colour but sinse joining the forum am now starting to take off the blinkers a bit.

Nick.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yep, some kind of silver flash seems pretty crucial, and I've had more success with lures with orange rather than red in them. Also planning to try out chartreuse over the coming months as have heard that can be good in murkier water.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks to you all for the input.
I've just ordered Maria Chase bw blue/silver( no holo silver to be had),Yozuri Mag Popper.green mackerel(which also has silver and a bit of red i think) and slug go arkansas shiner(sandeel).
Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
thanks to you all for the input.
I've just ordered Maria Chase bw blue/silver( no holo silver to be had),Yozuri Mag Popper.green mackerel(which also has silver and a bit of red i think) and slug go arkansas shiner(sandeel).
Wish me luck!
That must have set you back about 30 quid! On another not do you get much success plugging for bass in lancashire? I never do.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's right £30 quidsworth, it hurts, but hurts even harder when you lose them. As for catching in Lancs, I agree, and it's even more difficult to catch them in Manchester( I always blank in the ship canal) where I live.
Trips the Lleyn, Anglesey and less frequent trips to Brixham have helped me hook a few over the years.

·
Registered
648 Posts
On the Lancs coast the rattle and retrieve pattern is probably a lot more critical than the colour---that said, colour probably still has some impact on stopping them shying away at the last moment---and when the sea is calm there's pretty good visibility in the top few feet of water.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
must admit i've not fished the lancs coast alot over the years cos when I have , i've not caught much at all , let alone bass, thus leading to lack of confidence in it.Most of my fishing is in N Wales.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Whatever you do, get a J13 (blue & white). Retrieve as slow as poss with the odd twitch in shallow clear water.

I'm very new to plugging too (also have Yo zurri popper, maria chase bw & arkansas slug go) and I read a thread on here about 2 months ago which was something like "if you could only use one plug for the rest of your life, which one would it be?" and a lot of experienced pluggers said the rapala j13. I went in to my local tackle shop the other day and asked for one (it ain't cheap). A very, very well known angler here also happened to be in the shop and he said to me "You won't catcher anything with that, nipper"

Well, first of all mate, I'm 33 and secondly, my second cast last Monday produced a scrapping little 1 and a half pounder and yesterday I landed an extremely handsome 3 and a half pounder when the other anglers where landing schoolies on a bubble with delta sand eel.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
10 years ago the j13 was considered a top bass lure and caught plenty by all accounts. Now there is a much wider choice of lures most of which are easier to cast etc. but I'm sure the bass don't follow lure fashion!
it still is a good lure. Like they say lures catch more fishermen than fish!
the skill of lure fishing is working out which lure will work best in any given
situation. But the most important thing is having the knowledge of where the bass are at any given time.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do still have a j13 blue/white and have caught on it, but it dives too deep for the venue i fish most, but I do still dig it out at other places.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,490 Posts
The J13 is a wonderful lure but they just dive too deep.
May try altering one to make it run much shallower.

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Very interesting CP.

There are certain colours at night that always seem to work. Black/orange, black/red being very good despite being the first colours to fade at depth. Just shows 'we don't know how much we don't know!'

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Whatever you do, get a J13 (blue & white). Retrieve as slow as poss with the odd twitch in shallow clear water.

I'm very new to plugging too (also have Yo zurri popper, maria chase bw & arkansas slug go) and I read a thread on here about 2 months ago which was something like "if you could only use one plug for the rest of your life, which one would it be?" and a lot of experienced pluggers said the rapala j13. I went in to my local tackle shop the other day and asked for one (it ain't cheap). A very, very well known angler here also happened to be in the shop and he said to me "You won't catcher anything with that, nipper"

Well, first of all mate, I'm 33 and secondly, my second cast last Monday produced a scrapping little 1 and a half pounder and yesterday I landed an extremely handsome 3 and a half pounder when the other anglers where landing schoolies on a bubble with delta sand eel.

I love stories like that, its happened to me in the past, walking down the rocks 10 years or so ago and a guy told me the same thing. About 20 minutes later I landed a nice one about 3lb and held it up to him, he shouted out "well you'll only ever catch schoolies, never anything bigger than that"......tosser.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts