World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

As I dont live in UK any more, and my sea fishing in UK was dominated by waiting for small to medium sized flatties and the odd codling on southend pier in the mid 80´s, or waiting even longer for the odd blenny or tiny flounder at Wholehaven creek on Canvey Island, I was wondering whether people could write down what their last catch (or two or three) was on a chartered trip in UK.

I am interested in getting a rough overview on the level of sport offered (on average) and it would be great if people could write just give a breif account of thier last boat trip - even if they blanked. Perhaps even the average catch on the boat in question per man would also be a nice idea also.

Looking foreward to some replies.

Kevin

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, this thread is not "getting off the ground" as such so I shall chip in with my latest two trips.

Latest trip. March 2005, fished 5 hours at Hellsøy, Øygarden, Bergen, Norway.

Caught 4 wolffish 4-6lbs each, 2 brosme (Cusk in English?) 1lb each, 1 ling 3lbs, 3 cod: 22.5lbs, 5lbs, 1lb, 1 coalfish 1lb, 1 pollack 1.5lbs. Total = approx. 55lb. Slightly better than the average on the boat.

Second from latest trip: 6 hours varied fishing. West of Øygarden. Bergen. March 2005.

3 cod: 35.5lb, 4lb, 3lb, 4 brosme 1-3lbs; 4 Ling 2-7lbs; 9 small coalfish (1.5lb averagelbs), 1 pollack (1.5lbs). Total: approx. 75lbs. Once again, slightly better than the boat average, even if you remove the massive cod from the equation. Worst catch on the boat = 15lb of cod and coalfish to my father who is a "non-angler".

Ok, this aint a competition, but its just for me to get a feel for the fishing over there - so anyone else care to chip in with latest trip or two - please?

Cheers,

kevin

·
Registered
3 Posts
5:28 AM - no wonder no replies ;)

My last charter was last summer, mosly pollack of about 3-4 pounds, nothing spectacular. The odd Tub Gurnard, plenty of mackerel. There was a ling caught, but it was mostly pollack. Ask again in a couple of months when I have been out and caught something good!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Last outing on a charter Boat was Nov last year, was after Skate fishing out of Oban, total for boat was 1 Skate 2 Spurs 1 Thornback and 1 Conger......myself I blanked :eek:

We did try for another outing 2 weeks ago but were blown off due to stormy weather.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Keving,

Last boat trip was November 2004 out of Poole Dorset had loads of whiting all about 1-2 lb which I was a nice size, up at the bristol channel they're more like 1/4 lb, and had my first Cod from the boat 11 lb which was the first Cod of the season for any Poole boat. Boat was 'Our Gemma' a top boat and skipper.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Keving,

With a catch like that, no wonder there is no fish this side of the Channel.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
75 Posts
my last charter trip was club match out of scrabster! brilliant day with several specimen size pollack, ling and codling! also a good few wrasse...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Keving My Last Charter Trip Was About 25 Yrs Ago From Ramsgate. Lazy Skipper, You Should Have Been Here Yesterday Attitude, Going Through The Motions, Stayed In The Wheelhouse All Day. Useless
****head. Ramsgate Used To Have 20-30 Charter Boats Now They Have 3. All I"m Saying Is Do Your Homework Because There Are Good Skippers Out There But Thin On The Ground In Kent. We Dinghy Anglers Outfish Their Poor Punters Every Day. Tight Lines Becks

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
keving said:
Hi everyone,

As I dont live in UK any more, and my sea fishing in UK was dominated by waiting for small to medium sized flatties and the odd codling on southend pier in the mid 80´s, or waiting even longer for the odd blenny or tiny flounder at Wholehaven creek on Canvey Island, I was wondering whether people could write down what their last catch (or two or three) was on a chartered trip in UK.

I am interested in getting a rough overview on the level of sport offered (on average) and it would be great if people could write just give a breif account of thier last boat trip - even if they blanked. Perhaps even the average catch on the boat in question per man would also be a nice idea also.

Looking foreward to some replies.

Kevin
The last boat trip I went on was from Swansea in January

The weather took a turn for the worse so we could only fish inside Swansea bay but it was ok

Boat - dogfish all day 2 or 3 at a time whiting up to 2 1/2 lb lots through day and one cod 0f 11lb (not mine)
Most people lost count of how many cos the whiting and doggies came up all day

·
Registered
35 Posts
i try to get out at least once a month mainly south/south west coasts

so far this year has been good

jan; boat of 8 anglers 8hrs-56 pollock from 6lb to 20lb3oz

feb; again 8 anglers 10hrs (mid-channel)37 pollock from 8lb to 17lb 6oz,also three ling to 15lb ,and fists full of pouting

march; trip cancled bad weather

april; 7 anglers 8 hrs 32 plaice to 4lb 2oz and a few doggies/pouting

april; 12anglers 12 hrs (mid channel) 8 ling to 17lb,25 pollock to 16lb,1 gurnard 1lb, 12lb thornback ray and about 12 makeral

may 6anlers 8hrs, 11 tope 15-35lb, 18 stary hounds to 11lb , 1 black bream 1 1/2lb loads of doggies

thats about it for now out again this weekend rough ground fishing try for early season bass and bream

good luck and tight lines to you all , uk and further afield

1 - 11 of 11 Posts