World Sea Fishing Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Touche! Wondered if a fellow pedant would pick that up!

Ok, haven't done a survey. I simply would argue that killing / maiming fish in this way is so antipathetic to the principles of sportsmanship underlying angling that no-one I call an angler would be likely to approve.

Most anglers no longer use gaffs, though many used to. Why? Because we no longer think it right to stick a metal bar through a fish's body.

Again; spearfishers are entitled to do as they wish. I just say that such a forum does not belong on an angling site.
I'd hardly call pulling pin whiting out 3 at a time and then returning them only to see them washed up dead by your feet an act of sportsmanship, but to the majority of anglers on here this describes their winter fishing

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
And, Seymour, you are entirely entitled to your opinion; expressed as it is in a calm, thoughtful and respectful manner.

Whilst accepting that being hooked in the mouth is no fun for the fish, I know from experience that the same fish can be caught more than once, within a few minutes. It think it follows that the pain experienced is slight compared to, for example, being transfixed by a metal bolt.

I simply believe that angling is supposed to be sporting, and that spearfishing is too cruel to appeal to me at all. What could be worse than being shot with a spear gun? I wouldn't do that to a dogfish. As I say, each to his own - but it is a separate sport to ours.
I like angling, very much, and though I consider it not a very nice experience for the fish, most mature fish will survive and not be harmed too much. I do think there can be a high mortality for immature fish though, not matter how carefully handled. I'm not very happy about that but just kind of accept it.

True, being speared is catastrophic for the fish but they can be dispatched with a knife so they don't suffer too long. But for me and many spearos, it really is a means to an end to put food on the table. And let's face it, any creature that ends up on the table has had a pretty horrible experience somewhere along the line.

I always say that anglers should befriend spearfishers in their area and quiz them, ask them questions. They could learn much about the ground and fish behaviour.

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Immoderate for a "moderator"!
I'm not a moderator

How many fish can a spearfisher return to the water?
As many as they choose not to spear. For every fish they see, they make a choice whether to take it or not. Rod & line anglers only have that choice AFTER they have hooked and landed their fish, some of which will not survive the catch & release.

Anyway, I'm now more concerned about the behaviour of the "moderator".
I'm not a moderator

Who do you think you are, to speak to me like that?
I'm a fellow angler and potential spear-fisher - I have yet to try spear-fishing, but I am mindful of the impact my rod & line angling has on the fish I choose to release, so I'm open-minded enough to consider another way to catch the fish I want to eat, without harming those that I don't...

If you wish to avoid another group of anglers leaving this site, I suggest you train your "moderators" to avoid insulting language.
I'm not a moderator and I don't believe I've used insulting language - if you believe differently, please quote the part of my post that insulted you and we can address it.

An apology would not go amiss.
For what exactly? I've shared my point of view, you've shared yours.

·
Registered
798 Posts
As a beach angler, what is the shore caught record for a spear fisherman? Personally id recomend barbless hooks, conservation minded me, would i need a rough ground rod or would a bass rod surfice? Can anybody tell me the latin name for the above mentioned species? I believe they can be returned to the water unharmed, although they can flap around excitedly and become very vocal, im told similar kite surfer when one is abroad, other than that a fine sporting trophy ideal above the mantel piece.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Looks to me like there are a few intent in getting this thread shut down with their unproven illogical beliefs.

Let's take a look at my last few fishing reports.

One I hooked a small 40lb yellowfin tuna trolling a black and gold skirted lure at 7-8knots. Time to land the fish solo approx 10 mins. Fish to big and to tricky to net so gaffed and hoisted onboard, where it was spiked through the brain. The fish was deeply hooked and already bleeding heavily, survival rate 0. Stopped fishing even though there were numerous tuna in the area, reason not to harm more fish.

Next trip fishing with my daughter. Trolled the same area, triple hookup on large albacore, luckily one became free as we fought the other two to the boat. My fish reached the boat first, where I made the decision to gaff shot it in the head as this was coming home to dinner. My daughter's fish took around 8 mins, she's extremely fit but lacks muscle power to bully fish in quickly. This fish was clearly seen to be heavily bleeding so also kept. Hundreds of albacore filled the sounder and could clearly be seen sitting under the boat but our choice was to stop incase of harming more fish. As always spearguns were onboard.

Next trip I took my daughter plus a newcomer to angling ( local police who's mostly spears ). My daughter speared knowing she could target the legal sized fish by visually seeing them, while we flicked and dropped zman plastics. During the time my daughter took to select and spear the two fish we wanted as food our own angling accounted for dozens of undersize catch and release kingfish ( small fish of 60-64cm). I would guess around 1/5 were either bleeding from the gills or gut hooked, statistics I would estimate close to most lure fishing.

The two larger fish had been free swimming ocean predators untill the moment of being speared ( certainly not farmed animals). One of the fish was a stone dead kill shot while the other was drawn to the surface where my daughter placed a knife through the brain instantly killing it ( 15-30 seconds ). Once we had those fish we stopped even though we could of continued to fish. These fish taken on spear actually taste better than the ones taken in a drawn out fight where the flesh heats up and acids build in the muscles.

Any thread started on targetting catch and release species such as giant trevaly, sharks, tuna, sailfish and marlin etc are welcomed with open arms, it's something I do myself. Theres no way I try to kid myself that GT's which have fought for their lives often rubbing their bodies over sharp reef, or simply experienced barotrauma from gases in their body expanding as they are brought up from even shallow depths will all survive, not mentioning being hauled in for a series of photos. No way do I kid myself all the marlin release successfuly and it's now a proven fact sharks can develop infections leading to death even from leaving hooks in the corner of their mouths. By the way spear fishermen don't sport fish catch and release, they simply take what they can eat.

Those who pay their money and head out wrecking fish all the hours they can, the target species doesn't release from those depths ( conger do ) . These trips are seen by many anglers as a food gathering opportunity to load up the freezer ( in the name of angling ).During the time I worked and recreationally fished on boats in the UK I never witnessed an angler sit down and say they have caught one 6-8lb pollack and won't continue to fish.

For anyone who sees illegal fishing by spearfishing people or anglers can I suggest reporting it, it's something I do regularly about recreational and comercial fishers here to fisheries. So far I've only ever seen two young children spearing undersize fish, I reported them too, unfortunately parenting and lack of education was their issue while the anglers I mention are deliberately hiding their fish ( they know the rules but ignore them).

_JDP5167.jpg

_JDP4906.jpg

IMG_1263.JPG

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
The the guy I spear with from the police is actually a criminal physcolagist, his study's into people who kill animals for fun are world known. He's written several books and speaks worldwide. His preferred fishing method is also spearing and will most likely be with me targetting dolphin fish on our next trip. https://www.greatexpectation.com.au/presenter/psychology-speakers/John-Clarke

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Just like to add a final word from me as I think the pro's have been listed, whether anyone chooses to take them onboard is entirely up to them.

Whether you are for or against spearing doesn't bother me, neither does those who don't agree with it. I would happily get together with anyone on here for what ever style of fishing you choose, there's no hard feeling on disagreeing.

I also try not mention to much of it in my reports but unfortunately spearing is often the only way we can filter our way to getting food on the plate after a day angling where wrong species or undersized fish prevail.

Tight lines lads.

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This is my opinion only. I don’t like fox hunting either.... I’m also not going to lose any sleep over it hahaha
Good for you Rob. We're all entitled to our own opinions and I fully respect everyone else's right to hold an opinion different to mine. What I don't respect is when others attempt to force their opinions onto someone else. That's just not right. Sounds like you and I can agree to disagree though :thumbsup:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Good for you Rob. We're all entitled to our own opinions and I fully respect everyone else's right to hold an opinion different to mine. What I don't respect is when others attempt to force their opinions onto someone else. That's just not right. Sounds like you and I can agree to disagree though :thumbsup:
Yep I understand ya. Never tell anyone how to suck eggs. I think all of us on here are old and smart enough to understand that we are our own people and we find pleasure in angling but some in different methods to others. It’s each to their own... not everyone wants to be all wrapped up like a pishin’ spigot and stand on a rock in the middle of winter.

My comment on the post was negative I agree and pretty unnecessary some may say.
I used to hunt a lot when I was younger, still manage some “pests” on my parents farm but I don’t find any pleasure in it and nor do I eat any of it. Fishing for me is for pleasure and I’m as respectful to all the fish I catch, even the ones I deem big enough for the pan, dispatching very quickly and as humanly as possible. Peace out folks.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yep I understand ya. Never tell anyone how to suck eggs. I think all of us on here are old and smart enough to understand that we are our own people and we find pleasure in angling but some in different methods to others. It’s each to their own... not everyone wants to be all wrapped up like a pishin’ spigot and stand on a rock in the middle of winter.

My comment on the post was negative I agree and pretty unnecessary some may say.
I used to hunt a lot when I was younger, still manage some “pests” on my parents farm but I don’t find any pleasure in it and nor do I eat any of it. Fishing for me is for pleasure and I’m as respectful to all the fish I catch, even the ones I deem big enough for the pan, dispatching very quickly and as humanly as possible. Peace out folks.
Look I don't mind you calling spearfishing Shyte. But if it's each to their own don't make a point of coming on a thread purely about spearfishing and calling it shyte :tongue2:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've never been spear fishing and in the past I'd probably thought negatively about it, but the posts by JonD over the years has shown me otherwise. I fish from time to time and have done it in many different countries, most fish I've released some I haven't, but all have had a hook in them and some will have died.

I shoot, some I've missed, some I've hit and some I've wounded but I try my best to minimise that and to search for anything wounded. When it was legal I used to competitively course, the odd hare was killed 90% weren't and none were wounded. I also used to foxhunt, some were killed none were wounded. Every creature had one thing in common I pursued it with respect and in its own environment.

The meat that I buy is killed with a metal bolt, it is probably stressed as it has travelled and been herded before meeting its end with someone who may or may not have treated it with respect. Would I rather be the cow or sheep or the speared fish?

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is some of the most hilarious reading i have found for a while.

OXFORD DICTIONARY
Fishing

NOUN
mass noun
  • The activity of catching fish, either for food or as a sport.

‘the area is renowned for its excellent deep-sea fishing’

as modifier ‘fishing boats’
NOTICE IT DOESNT SAY WITH A ROD - NET - SPEARGUN - CYANIDE - DYNAMITE

You seriously consider shooting a fish.... most likely in the head or spine, killing it near instantly or very quickly Cruel? Is it worse to winch a ling out of its hole on a wreck, have its stomach blow and have to then dispatch it... or shoot it in the head. i wonder which is more and promotes suffering ''cruel''

You will be telling us all that its crueler to shoot an animal minding its own business eating in a field, than it is to herd a cow-pig-lamb through a slaughterhouse have it stunned and bled out whilst still alive.

suggestion - sell your gear and take up knitting if your not happy hurting the fishes.

And, Seymour, you are entirely entitled to your opinion; expressed as it is in a calm, thoughtful and respectful manner.

Whilst accepting that being hooked in the mouth is no fun for the fish, I know from experience that the same fish can be caught more than once, within a few minutes. It think it follows that the pain experienced is slight compared to, for example, being transfixed by a metal bolt.

I simply believe that angling is supposed to be sporting, and that spearfishing is too cruel to appeal to me at all. What could be worse than being shot with a spear gun? I wouldn't do that to a dogfish. As I say, each to his own - but it is a separate sport to ours.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts