World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi lads just been reading this its quite intresting let me know if you have tried these go to circlehooks.com i think ill be investing in these type of hooks iam getting some ready for sunday on the boat and for my next comp its at llangenith so loo out mullet and flatties tight lines nudge 08 look faward to the feed back and comments:fishing:

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I've used circles

great on the float, good for rays and congers off the boat as long as you whip the bait on to stop it bunching around the shank.

haven't used them ledgering off the shore but no reason why they won't work...infact will probably be great for flatties. remember though ...DON'T STRIKE

john

·
Deputy Jokes Forum Examiner
6,279 Posts
We have recently given the sakuma circle hooks a go. Whilst they look deadly efficient and no doubt are under the right circumstances I find whilst using non worm baits even with the use of bait elastic other baits slide down the hook shank and mask the point.

·
Registered
37 Posts
have used circles for about 3 years on the boat while using live eel. They're great with no need to strike, the fish hook themselves and hardly ever swallow the hook deep.

·
Sole Man!
1,649 Posts
I use semi circle hooks from veals, size 4 or 6 on three hook flappers, no need to strike & 9 out of 10 fish are lip hooked.
It's not easy sticking worms on them though, you may want to get a baiting needle.
brolly

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
I"ve ordered some 8/0-10/0 full circle non offset to try with livebaits/deadbaits & big fillets for Tope. Recently I"ve had to release a couple of fish with the hooks still in them & I want to avoid that if possible.

headlight

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
These are my hooks of preference now. Small hooks for head hooked maddies, size 3/0 or 4/0 for peeler crab . Although haven't actually caught anything on them YET I have made up some pennel rigs using larger ones on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bought some today from rogers they are mustard demon ultra fine size1 ready for the flatties id did look at others but the hook eye was a tad big for worm baits (maddies)so i went along with the above hooks rready for the flatties :bb: down llangeneth if there is any there that is,i will have to learn not to strike:rtfm:it was nice to see every one who replied with thier comments as this may be the start of more people using them and stop the unwanted dammage to oue fish tight lines nudge 08

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
bought some today from rogers they are mustard demon ultra fine size1 ready for the flatties id did look at others but the hook eye was a tad big for worm baits (maddies)so i went along with the above hooks rready for the flatties :bb: down llangeneth if there is any there that is,i will have to learn not to strike:rtfm:it was nice to see every one who replied with thier comments as this may be the start of more people using them and stop the unwanted dammage to oue fish tight lines nudge 08
My personal choice would have been to go even smaller I have recently brought some 2's,4's and 6's ready for the RNLI surf fishing comps on Cefn Sidan and llangennith. Mustad are good but in the smaller sizes I like Sakuma and the Varivas ones from Veals are very good.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
use circle hooks a lot.not that good with worm baits,but fine with other baits.to bait them up,you don't slide the bait up the hook like you would a conventional hook,you just hook through and let it hang from the bend.obviously power casting can easily result in bare hooks,but a smooth cast can deliver a bait a fait distance.of the ones i've tried,owner and razor claw have been the best.....actually,they're brilliant.don't bother with sakuma,they're sheite.i've had them bend and snap,yet never had this happen with other makes,even some budget ones i tried.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts