World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having never had to launch a boat from a trailer on a slipway, what does everyone wear ?
I can see no way of doing it without getting in the water possibly up to your waist.
Do you wear chest waders? . . All day?. Or do you change on the boat once out and about.

·
Banned
540 Posts
When doing 2 man launch there is no need to get qet at all.
Just dip the trailer halfway in, start engine, undo the retaining strap, let the trailer roll the rest of the way into the water, sharp brake from the driver and the boat just rolls of the trailer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
yep chest waders, take them off as it's safer when out. I'm normally on my own so still looking for way to keep car seat dry!!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Chest waders for me but I take them off once launched and leave them in the car. I used to use thigh waders but was a bit girly about getting wet in a deeper bit, overbalanced and ended up doing the back stroke - not recommended, especially in mid January.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
all depends on the slipway.
if it has a steep slope with a pontoon alongside there should be no need to get wet. simply reverse down slipway, and push boat off trailer with someone on board to run engines and then tie up to pontoon while loading kit/crew.
if a shallower slip and no pontoon then you will be best off with chesties and a 2 man job.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You can wear your tuxedo for launching. Depending on the trailer, and the shape of the hull (e.g. dories are a pain) it's the recovery that'll cause you problems. I found that with the right set up I could launch and recover without getting my feet wet.

To enable this I was blessed with a steep slip and a break back trailer...

·
Registered
287 Posts
When doing 2 man launch there is no need to get qet at all.
Just dip the trailer halfway in, start engine, undo the retaining strap, let the trailer roll the rest of the way into the water, sharp brake from the driver and the boat just rolls of the trailer.
This is exactly how I launch my boat, but I do wear chest waders when I recover it. Ideally I have someone in the vehicle, someone on the winch, and me in the water. Launching is a dawdle, but recovering is more stressful and needs someone in the water. My boat is 7.2m.

·
Registered
102 Posts
One person with chest waders or leg waders at least, then change into salopettes+life jacket if its cold and wet. if you try and launch on your own like I do frequently, have a check list of how to launch with everything ready too hand .. to make sure if things go wrong you got a back up plan b+c

·
Registered
364 Posts
I launch on a slipway in Cardiff bay, which is freshwater. I find the concrete quite slippery underfoot, so I use chest waders with a studded sole. I take them off before boarding my boat though, cos studded soles and fibreglass gel coat don't mix well!

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I wear a diaper :oops:

I used to wear chest waders but there are associated risks involved with that should they fillup.... like you try climbing aboard your boat when you look like the Michelin Man and suddenly weigh 300kg, or try swim in them. So be bloody careful.

·
Registered
587 Posts
This is me and my son launching our boat. I have extended the trailer by 5ft (which is removable for towing on the road). Depending on the state of the tide, the boat will float off or will need a slight nudge. The boat can the be floated on to the trailer right up to the winch post and just clipped on, or winched a few inches. I normally wear chesties when retrieving in winter, but in the summer I wear Sealskin socks. Only problem we get now and again is when the safety rope dries out and contracts, as this time, it can get quite tight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts