World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard people saying that is important. Don't quite know what is meant by it. Can someone give me an example of good bait presentation please? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think mainly putting the bait on the hook so that it doesn't move and mask the point after you cast out.Although I think some people like it to look pretty.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I've heard people saying that is important. Don't quite know what is meant by it. Can someone give me an example of good bait presentation please? Much appreciated.
In my book, a well presented bait should be streamlined for casting, whipped with elastic (if need be) so that it won't disintegrate when it hits the water and the hook point should be well exposed with few loose ends to prevent fish from just ripping your bait off the hooks.

You could also include things like using pennel rigs or bait stops to stop the bait just sliding around the bend of the hook. Also when using worms I prefer to have a small fat lump of (say 5) worms bound with elastic around the hook giving a compact bait as opposed to having the same 5 worms threaded in single file up the line which would result in line bites and less chance of the fish hitting a hook when it takes the bait - this is my idea of bait presentation :fish:

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
IMHO bait presentation is the above as well as how it 'works / moves, or fished static etc. A bait nailed to the bottom will be effective for certain species at certain times of the year, tides and conditions where a moving bait popped up off the bottom, long flowing traces can be deadly for all the same reasons.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
bait presentation......

presenting the bait your using to a fish in a way that will attract it most.

this could be 5 blacks on a 5/0 pennel. threaded neetly, pushed up together, no loose worms hanging off. streamlined for casting.

maddies .. a bunch of small ******** hooked threaded up the hook, only on the hook and lots of wriggly tails to attract the fish.

mackerel strip... below a float needs to be the right width and length matched to the species your after and simply hooked once in the wide end. hook it twice and it wont be as effective.

crab ... cut in half and whipped to the hook to form, a nice parcel. for eels pass the hok through the crab a few times and idealy no whipping.

the list could go on and on.

it really depends on the bait your using and the species your after. if your after a specific species or using a bait your not familiar with just ask here for specific advice before you go.

lots of times i see people hooking a raggy chunk of squid on a 4/0 hook for whiting. they wonder why they are missing good bites. a whiting will pull at any loose bits hanging off a hook and can get a badly threaded off a hook without getting caught. a dab or flounder will suck at loose ends of worm again pulling from thr hook. baits need to be kept neat and tidy with no loose ends apart from your small mackerel/squid tip thats right next to the hook point.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Pretty much that posted in the replies above. Half the time the fish don't get a look at the bait as it's dark (when night-fishing) or the water's coloured. Main points are getting the bait to where it's meant to go without it disintegrating and then when a fish has a go at it making sure it'll be hooked either when it moves off or you strike the bite.

In clear water daylight conditions it's a bit more important as some species will be hunting by sight, hence presentations like the ragworm pix above, but I wouldn't want to try casting that very far!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
550 Posts
As john just pointed out with the ragworm pics.. you dont want to be trying to launch it very far..

When i use this for flounder Im aiming to put it only around 30 to 50 yards max.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
As john just pointed out with the ragworm pics.. you dont want to be trying to launch it very far..

When i use this for flounder Im aiming to put it only around 30 to 50 yards max.
I very much remember learning that lesson myself Mike!

Bloody good bait to use though as apart from anything else it makes you put the casts shorter - often that being the key to bagging up on yummy species instead of dogfish!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yeah I had to limit my casting, so I only put 50 yards of vraid on my carp reel... lol

It worked but I had to stand in the water as it came in which wasnt the brightest idea with only a pair of wellies on, still gave my feet a nice mineral bath though lol

Still I had a flounder of 1lb 5oz.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Intresting thread this as being a bit of a sea newcomer can i ask, if you are using as a tipping bait say mackrel for instance would you just use a small piece threaded on the hook but still leave the hook point clear or would you cover the point with your tipping bait?

Cheer's Baz

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi Baz,

you would want to try and leave as much of the hook point clear as you can, with tipping baits such as mackeral or squid I thread it on to the hook but sometimes if im using a small bait to tip with I'll just put it through once or twice leaving a little bit to flap about..

Aslong as the hook point if sticking out you wont have a problem but if its covered it could cause you to lose fish..

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
the size of the peice of mackerel or squid you use depends on what the fish want.
sometime a peice the size of your finger nail is all thats need but other times a peice about 1in square is all they will take. try one until your getting no bite then try the other or even better is a 2 hook trace with different sizes on each.

i psh the tip bait behind the barb this not only keeps it on and the hook point clear but stops worms etc sliding down over the point.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
firstly it's about matching the size of hook to the size of bait, secondly the right pattern to the bait your using. then it's just a matter of keeping the hook point/ barb clear from the bait.

alot of people say that presentation is essential. but many of the best fisherman have self confessed awful looking presentation, catch alot of fish. it doesn't really matter what it looks like as long as it stays on the hook and keeps clear from the point.

i'm a real fussy bugger when it comes to bait, i almost treat my baiting up like a work of art. sad i know.

·
Registered
330 Posts
a fish is looking for food its not looking for something that Gordon Ramsey has put on a plate and charging 30 quid for it.
big hooks + small fish don't mix.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
That does look an interesting gizmo, and for snag-free beaches like the ones I commonly fish I can see some applications for it.

However, I also use bait elastic to stop small fish tearing softer baits like soft crab or mussel off the hook when pecking at them.

The only concern I would have is - do they release the bait every time? I would guess so. I might order a couple and give them a try!

With a long tube like that you could also shove a couple of ounces of finely-minced groundbait in beneath your baits, thus increasing the scent-trail.

Cheers - John

1 - 20 of 27 Posts