World Sea Fishing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As threads for some recipes keep getting closed could the mods give us a list of acceptable fish to eat please.

·
Registered
25,001 Posts
Dont seem to matter when the fish is battered or breadcrumbed! Wonder how many whingers happly eat fish and chips??? Fish usually caught by the type of boats they complain about!!!!

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
You can take and eat any fish that is above the legal size limit. There are some species that are under pressure and/or slow growing so from a conservation point of view it is best to avoid if possible, e.g. conger. Hugh F-W's River Cottage Fish Book is very good on this, he reviews every species and advises which are sustainable and which not.
However, there are people who don't want to eat fish and for some reason visit this forum and push their views on what should and shouldn't be eaten. Ignore them and follow your own conscience.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Next time i get a big thornback from loch etive I will be keeping it for the table those wings look delicous!

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
those peas look a bit tough and bullety:bounce:

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
It's like Hannibal Lecters fish munching cousins tea party! Fecking hell, next weeks licence variations will have a quota sub section for RSAs boat catches from the Crouch!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Local fisheries are the ones to ask about what is legal and what isn't.

What we are experts on is posts which cause the forum to kick off big style and go beyond the site rules. Some members are wise to this and post to get a reaction, they seem to thrive on it more than a tug on their line IMHO

There are those members who like to catch fish and eat them and there are are others who like to fish for a bite for sport and release their catch. Then there are those who like to post pictures of their catch knowing it will provoke a bite, internet fishing, you going to be silly enough to bite? .

This thread is a perfect example.

So manipulative and to be honest, only word I can find in my limited vocabulary....... SAD.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Local fisheries are the ones to ask about what is legal and what isn't.

What we are experts on is posts which cause the forum to kick off big style and go beyond the site rules. Some members are wise to this and post to get a reaction, they seem to thrive on it more than a tug on their line IMHO

There are those members who like to catch fish and eat them and there are are others who like to fish for a bite for sport and release their catch. Then there are those who like to post pictures of their catch knowing it will provoke a bite, internet fishing, you going to be silly enough to bite? .

This thread is a perfect example.

So manipulative and to be honest, only word I can find in my limited vocabulary....... SAD.
Chris, let's be honest here, but some members are posting more relevant posts here than others, be they provocative or not.
It's not relevant in a cookery forum to get on some conservationist high horse, cos it's a cookery forum.
The real trolls in here are the people who post off topic when people ask for recipes, they just get a more caustic reaction from some than from others.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
No way am I a getting on a conservationist high horse, just sick of people posting for a reaction whatever the area of the site.

I go for what I call a mackerel murder September every year, it fills my freezers for early doors next year before the mack are in season. Economics apply, saves me buying them.

It is as I name it, a murder, 3 fishing, one spot where I know they will be, 1 unhooking and it is hard work. We fill all four freezers. The boat looks like a charnel house. Think I am going to publish pictures for reaction.

Same with cod, rays, bass, bream. My best bream session was 157 in 90 min 2 of us fishing mind, you think I am going to publish pictures? Did I keep them all or just enough for the pot, you a'int ever going to know. Best ray session I ever had, well you get the picture, they are pants frozen anyway.

My point is there are pictures here designed cynically to get a bite, don't really care what area of the forum they are in.

You bit and had a pop at me for mentioning it, I completely agree this is cooking so why the massive table of fillets unless you have a market for them, surely more than a family could consume and absolutely nothing to do with cooking.

QED I think.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
What a strange place this forum sometimes is. Talk about putting sharp hooks into fish, using live creatures, ( impaled on hooks ), to catch other fish ect, ect just for a little "recreational sport" and that's all perfectly fine and dandy.

Show usefull pictures of how to prepare fish for the table and you get jumped on.

LOL, strange, ( if not a little sad ), times we live in for sure.

:1a:

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Garfish are very nice too.People will have you believe they aren't,but give them a try and you will be surprised.
quite agree Ron....garfish are very tasty if you can put up with the green bones

15,082 Posts
:)
No way am I a getting on a conservationist high horse, just sick of people posting for a reaction whatever the area of the site.

I go for what I call a mackerel murder September every year, it fills my freezers for early doors next year before the mack are in season. Economics apply, saves me buying them.

It is as I name it, a murder, 3 fishing, one spot where I know they will be, 1 unhooking and it is hard work. We fill all four freezers. The boat looks like a charnel house. Think I am going to publish pictures for reaction.

Same with cod, rays, bass, bream. My best bream session was 157 in 90 min 2 of us fishing mind, you think I am going to publish pictures? Did I keep them all or just enough for the pot, you a'int ever going to know. Best ray session I ever had, well you get the picture, they are pants frozen anyway.

My point is there are pictures here designed cynically to get a bite, don't really care what area of the forum they are in.

You bit and had a pop at me for mentioning it, I completely agree this is cooking so why the massive table of fillets unless you have a market for them, surely more than a family could consume and absolutely nothing to do with cooking.

QED I think.
You know the reason this thread was started as well as I do.

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128347

A few people are starting to get a little bit peeved living in a world of being told what is and what isn't acceptable to too the minority and being on the losing wicket all the time.
Im not sure what 'Local fisheries are the ones to ask about what is legal and what isn't.'

or 'why the massive table of fillets unless you have a market for them' has to do with it?
Unless of course you are posting for the reaction?
It's about time that users on this forum got into the real world,and it ain't as pretty as they would have us believe.

·
Registered
25,001 Posts
Ron,your pics may cause a reaction,but you live in the real world!!! Animals and fish are killed for us to eat! If anyone is uncomfortable with that they should become a vegan,also whats the problem with people killing CERTAIN SPECIES but its ok to kill other ones that are (in some peoples little worlds)lesser species compared to there beloved Bass,Grey doggy etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.