World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been on holiday in Genoa where I was excited to watch 4lb+gilthead bream feeding just under the surface in the middle of the day in the harbour. My brother once caught a triggerfish that was randomly cruising around a rodlength out a couple of feet down in 8ft of water. I've seen garfish hunting at night under harbour lights. What other decent fish have you seen from the shore (other than mullet, which are commonly seen in harbours and marinas)?

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
I have seen tuna fish jumping out of the water right in front of a couple of us , and I also seen sunfish fins as a couple swam by , and the most exciting ones were killer whales , which isn’t a fish but boy what a sight

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Ive seen all sorts .......had huss swimming between my legs when freelining in herm ,sniffing side to side searching for the dead greens we were dropping .......sat on Havelet wall last summer peeling crab chewing the fat with my oppo who was mulleting .....the tide was dropping and the water was now not against the wall so we were above clean sand in about 10\12 ft of water .... this BIG black shape took my eye and for a split second my brain couldnt compute what i was seeing ............FECK ME DUDE ....look at that ......Frickin Tuna about 6 ft long swam right beneath us about 20 mtrs from the wall .......the most incredible sight ive ever seen .....it went across the bay , turned and then came back towards us .....both buzzing and couldn't believe what we'd seen ........Have seen them a few times now including feeding in shallow water, outside castle cornet , on thin lips that were literally throwing themselves up onto the rocks to get away .......

·
Registered
11,525 Posts
Plenty of Mullet, harbors, breakwaters and shore, thresher shark tail slapping, basking shark, mackerel chasing bait fish on the shore, Bass, reef sharks, plenty of rock pools species.

·
Registered
12,113 Posts
The last week a few bluefin tuna have been spotted in my local area from the shore, my wife saw one yesterday and an 80kg+ one was dead on the beach a few days before. It's still a mystery how a tuna of over 80kg ended up on the beach, its hard enough landing a small fish before the sharks get them here at the moment.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was told by a wise old angler that two hours watching, and one hours fishing is the key to success.
Basking shark near Hope cove Devon and a Ray bigger than a pool table in the harbour in Lanzarote.
26lb Pike (caught by the baliff a week before) waiting patiently for the newly hatched Moorhens to come closer.
Two inch long Perch chasing Bream fry at the edge of a Norfolk Broad.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Saw a basking shark at Portscatho. Next to one of my favourite wrasse spots.
Someone managed to film it...
Cool, and I forgot that I saw multiple baskers from the top of the climbing cliff at Bosigran once. I've seen them on the boat too but that's nothing unusual.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Still haven't seen them myself ,but Brother goes every summer to watch the lamprey spawning in two rivers up north. My Memorable sight would be the annual mullet run in Alderney , start at the slip on the inside of the wall and finish some where near Dog Rock on the back , average 100-sometimes 150yds wide. The mind cannot compute how many fish were present, sadly now nearly all gone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts