World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya everyone i was just wondering as im new to the sport of shore fishing is there any fish i should be wary of as i have heard some have spines and most have teeth :eek: , i spose i could let the mrs unhook em till im sure of whats what :D
kev

·
Registered
437 Posts
hi kevmac
this ones the bass it has spines on the dorsal fin and small spines each side of the gill covers and of course teef i usually run my hand from nose to the start of the dorsal fin and flatten the spines while you unhook.

the other is the weaver britains most poisonus fish there is the lesser weaver and the greater weaver these have spines on the back and on the gills like the bass treat this with care or its a hospital trip for anti venum i usually hold the hook shank and shake it off back into the water

Both the spines of the first dorsal fin, and that of the gill covers, have venom glands attached to them. The spines are grooved, and when pressed, toxin is driven up the groves, and delivered. Care should be taken, as the poison causes localized swelling and discomfort, and on occasions death. The wound should be allowed to bleed freely, thus helping to flush away the toxin, and maybe treated with potassium permangenate solution, or very hot water. Seek medical attention / advice.

lesser weaver.

there are others like thornback ray spurdog if you are not sure ask other anglers on the beach......or as you said get the wife to do it lol.. clive

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Weaver are the poisnous ones in British waters, if you are unlucky enough to get hit by one heat up the area of the sting. The venom is a protein like egg white heat the are and you cause the venom to cook and solidify and stop it entering the blood stream. The pain will be drastically reduced. They can kill if you are allergic to the venom, I am so I carry Adrenaline in a self injector on the boat.

Bass have two scales on their gills like razor blades, put your fingers in the gills and they can cut to the bone.

Spur hounds and sting rays have a spine, back on the hound and tail on the ray. Avoid it like the plague, it has no venom but the mucus it is covered in causes septicemia.

Bream have extreemly sharp dorsal spines and anal spines

Gurnard have gill and dorsal spines.

Conger have teeth that grind and tend not to let go one they bite down, They have taken fingers and toes off, as John Lush, skipper of the charter boat Magic. ( Lost his toe to a conger)

A lot of fish have an anal spine, Mackerel and flatties to name 2.

Thornback ray are covered in ......thorns, if you have to hold one there is an area behind the eyes that is thorn free on the dorsal and ventral side.

Dogfish and huss tend to wrap round your arm if you hold them by the head, they will take your skin off with their skin, Hold head and tail whilst unhooking or use a 'T'Bar.

Tope have the same skin and a good set of teeth as have all the shark.

Triggers have a dorsal spine and a beak capable of munching coral

Mini Speces, Scorpion fish are full of spines, bullheads bite if you get near their mouths

·
Registered
57 Posts
just a reminder its weaver fish season again guys ;)

great write up chris.

id also like to add that just incase you are unlucky enough to have one of those ebil bass on and its <-------------------this big-------------------> gimme a shout and id be happy to land it for you :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers everyone it seems as if i should throw caution to the wind for most of em so i will be investing in a pair of gloves :D
kev

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Please wet the gloves before you handle any fish you intend to return, even better is a 'T' Bar. You can release fish without touching them at all with one of these. All fish have a mucus covering and will get a bacterial infection under the scales which kills them if handled. Wet hands, cloths, gloves are less damaging than dry to this mucus layer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hiya chris, yes i will wet any gloves i wear, im a very keen course angler and i know just how important the mucus is to fish, i am heading off to seaton later today to have a go at shore fishing ( my 1st time ) but the 1st port of call will be the local tackle shop to invest in a t bar
kev

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Best thing since sliced bread, but there is a knack to using them. Get the tackle shop to demonstrate.

Good look and tight lines. :D

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Don't think anyones mentioned dragonets. Only little things but they've got very sharp edges on their gill plates. They won't hurt you or do much damage but getting a nick off one results in a surprising amount of bloody mess. I think they've got some sort of anti-coagulant slime which stops the blood clotting for ages. Really annoying.

Rhod.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good luck mate!!!!
Let me know how seaton was fishing fished sidmouth last week and it was crap!
Cheers mate
Paul

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hiya dunce, i went to westbay in the end and as expected i blanked, i will be heading off to seaton later today with a little extra knowledge of fishing, the guy at the tackle shop did say it was fishing very slow
kev

·
Registered
158 Posts
You should try giving chesil a bash mate it's a pain in the arse to get to but worth it.Keep trying to persuade my bird to give me a lift there when i'm down that way never works though always end up in either sidmouth or ladram bay near the campsite.
Cheers
Paul

1 - 14 of 14 Posts