World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I love this site.
I've drawn a few blanks over the past few weeks, so got reading again and tried some different tactics last night. Result...
Two pollack at 1lb 13oz and my PB...a pollack of 2lb 14.5ozs. Oh yeah baby!!!

What a fight that put up. My rod was bent almost 90 degrees and it pulled line like golfers pull women. As I pulled it in close and thought the fight was up, it took one look at me and was off like a scolded cat. Wow. Soppy git or what, I even stroked it and talked to it before I knocked it on the head. It's now in the fridge ready for tea.

My question...

A couple of times now I have felt what I thought was a hooked fish as I was steadily retrieving my lure, even the rod tip bent and it definatley felt like tugs etc, but then the line goes solid, just like a snag. Once I gave it a little slack and felt the fish wiggle again, applied pressure and eventually pulled in a fish, I guess I dragged it over a rock. But the other night I had the same thing happen, felt like a big fish, then sudden lock down. Applied lots of pressure. Gave some slack. Nothing. Eventually I climbed along the rocks to a higher point and a different angle and had to wrap my line round my priest to pull free.

Was the "fish" my lure going through sea weed. Or. Can a pollack get to the rocks and wedge it self and hence feel like a snag? Did I pull my line out of it's mouth?

If so what should I have done? I waited perhaps 2 minutes before heaving on my line. And as I said I gave it some slack to no avail.

I've read on here that the pollack dive for the rocks. "stay with it" and you will win it. What does this mean?

Any advice lads and lasses?

G

·
pollack are well known to drag you into any snag they can find, all you can do prevent it is keep the rod high and give it as much pressure as your tackle allows, if it does go in all you can do is as youve mentioned, give it some slack and wait and see if it comes out, and then if that fails you just got to pull and see,

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bob,
Thanks for that, but how long should I give it slack for before I try and pull? I tried for 10 maybe 20 seconds, but should I be waiting for maybe 2 minutes or more for the fish to think the coast is clear?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
There will be times when fish manage to leave you well and truely in the smelly stuff. As you've suggested it can be worth giving some slack and leaving it for a bit, I do this before pulling like a lunatic as if you're not careful that's just going to wedge things in even more.

There's no real guide as to how long to leave it, but I'll generally leave it a minute or two with the rod in the rest. Sometimes you'll be able to see from tip movements if the fish is out, sometimes it's a case of guessing.

There is no guaranteed way to get them out I'm afraid, not unless you happen to have some scuba gear with you.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I have also had fish pull me into a snag. Sometimes you land them, sometimes you don't. My last doggie pulled me into two snags, felt solid as a rock Both times and went to snap the line as you did but managed to pull free and land it. So yes, kind of. The main way to tell is to hold the rod still see if there's movement, no movement = snag sometimes at the start kelp and weeds can feel like fish same in some weird tide pulls etc but you get to learn the difference after a while

G

·
until you get fed up with it really, if its not made a run for it after a few minutes of totally slack line its unlikely to move, it wont move if it can feel you pulling back just give it total slack and watch for the line moving off again.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, thanks for the replies guys.
There's good info there. I'll give it total slack for a minute or two next time. I just wasn't sure wether I was being daft just stood there doing nothing.

My other question was, could I have pulled the lure out of the fishes mouth, because when I pulled on the line expecting it to break, my lure pulled free and the 20lb braid and toby were totally undamaged.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Fish often dive for kelp beds and snag you up, If that happens and it sheds the lure you will end up snagged in the kelp, giving rise to what you describe.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
when we fish for bass with spinners we often get the same every now and then tho we hook one i think you may be have the same problem its the garfish !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.