World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lo all,
Being fairly new to beachcasting, and about to buy myself a new rod, I was wondering what exactly is a "match" rod? Is it to do with the action? And are there any real benefits to using one? I fish around the Cardiff South Wales area over mixed but fairly rough ground. I already have a Penn Venom (match) rod, but having never used any other beachcaster I've nothing to compare it with. Any advice or info would be great. Thanks, Penn.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Good question penn

Here is where we find out that everyone has their own definition....

I would expect a match rod to be quite soft, primarily suited to clean ground. I expect it is designed/aimed toward showing up the bites of small fish (pouting, whiting) which dominate a lot of matches. That's not to say it won't cope with big fish. I look forward to reading more informative answers from those in the know.

I have a match rod, and don't fish matches - I have a bass rod that has hardly seen a bass, and a flattie rod that spends more time attached to pollack and wrasse that anything resembling a flat fish. I think Henry Gilbey had it right when he simply named his new Imax range 2/4 5/6 etc...

·
Registered
464 Posts
I agree with Manx Fisher, i did own a Century Vectra Match once and that was far from a light rod for scratching around in matches, what area's around Cardiff/South Wales do you fish Penn???

I fish the same ground and i use on the rough stuff a Conoflex Nemesis Plus SLR 2002 and a Zziplex Bullet SV as my second rod, on the lighter stuff like beaches and estuarys i have either a Century Tip Tornado Lite or a Bass rod.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lo big_spence,
I fish the Foreshore quite a bit and the Ranny etc. I have Penn Venom Extreme Match, and you bring up one of the points I was thinking about, if a match rod is meant to be fairly light for scratching around for smaller fish etc, then the Venom doesn't seem light to me, its rated 4-8oz! But as I said I don't know what to compare it with, having never used another rod. It just interests me (particularly as I'm about to spend quite a bit on a new rod) what the definition of "MATCH" rod is!? What are the benefits, ( if any) and any drawbacks to going for a rod with this definition. Maybe bump into you on the foreshore sometime m8.
Penn

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hi Penn, i fish mainly around Witches, Monknash, Aberthaw but do venture up and around the forshore now and again when i'm match fishing for Carling Wales S.A.C.
I think when it says "Match" rod its just a general all round rod that can be used for light/medium rough and beach work, but i honestly think its just down to personal preferance mate and if possible try and go fishing with someone who owns the rods your after and give it a few casts to see how it feels before you shell out a few quid and get it. Hope this helps mate and may catch up with you around there sometime.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Agree with what's already been said - a 'match' rod should have good bite detection for the smaller species such as dabs and small whiting.

V

·
0 Posts
something out of a box,on a more serious note it's what manx fisher described,only as yet it has'nt worked for me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts