World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the proper species name for a type of fish know around Hartlepool locally as a Sh*t But? The fish is similar in apperance to a Dab although much larger and more slender in shape. The fish is a dark brown colour, and was cught more commonly around the Bruss outflow pipe and the storm drains on Parton. I don't think its a megrim, and other have said it is a type of dab. Any help on the true identity of this fish would be most appreciated (even better does anybody have any pictures).

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Does anybody know the proper species name for a type of fish know around Hartlepool locally as a Sh*t But? The fish is similar in apperance to a Dab although much larger and more slender in shape. The fish is a dark brown colour, and was cught more commonly around the Bruss outflow pipe and the storm drains on Parton. I don't think its a megrim, and other have said it is a type of dab. Any help on the true identity of this fish would be most appreciated (even better does anybody have any pictures).

Hiya,

sounds like it could be either a Witch (Glyptocephalus cynoglossus) see http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/pages/witch.html

or a Long Rough Dab (Hippoglossoides platessoides)

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/pages/LongRoughDab.html

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Davy, to be honest it could be either of them. Next time i catch one i will take it for scientific idenification. Noone local really knows what they are. If it is either of the species shown then a new potential British record may be captured soon. The fish i have caught are about 30-35cm in length, but others have had them to almost 45cm and weighing approximately 1ld8oz plus.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think many have been eaten or returned, and just wrongly identified as a Dab. I have heard a few local matchmen say that they have caught Witch before though. Interestingly they are caught near sewage outlets (hence the name), although similar they are definately distinguishable as a different species. Thanks for your help Davy.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,
Thanks Davy, to be honest it could be either of them. Next time i catch one i will take it for scientific idenification. Noone local really knows what they are. If it is either of the species shown then a new potential British record may be captured soon. The fish i have caught are about 30-35cm in length, but others have had them to almost 45cm and weighing approximately 1ld8oz plus.
If that's the case then the Long Rough Dab is ruled out as it's doubtful you would get one near 1lb in weight let alone 1lb 8oz. I've seen Witch to over 2lb so it could be that

However fat lad could be right with it being a Flounder though

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No these are definately not flounders, they look more like Dab in appearance and have a rough skin. Although to be fair most people just call any flat fish a 'flattie', many people treat them the same perhaps not realising the difference.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Could it not be a turbot.....turdbutt........sh1tbutt?

Just a guess.
Good thought, though i wouldnt use the word s*** in the same sentence as a turbot:) :) :blink:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
try same question in NE forum ?:g:

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
its definately a flounder. its a common name used for them locally and has been for many years. the areas you mentioned are good flounder marks.

the reason it got that name is because thats how it tastes. especially one from the rivers.

try caching a ... skate from yorkshire, you will find its actually a thornback. skate just a local name for them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts