World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been dicussed before but my 'search' skills need refining as i cant find the info i need!!!

I use the albright knot but occasionally have been let down at the knot.

My tying? Or is there a better option?

Thanks

·
Registered
937 Posts
I know this has been dicussed before but my 'search' skills need refining as i cant find the info i need!!!

I use the albright knot but occasionally have been let down at the knot.

My tying? Or is there a better option?

Thanks
If you click on my photobucket you will find it there. Just click on the pic to enlarge. Its easy to follow how to do it. Bit of a tip though, if you are using 50lb or above shockleader, use only max 3 turns on the loop.
All the best,
Rich

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Neil Mackellow's knot is an albright but tied with doubled loops............. I'll give it a go!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have to say I use the albright knot method sort-of
I find it easier to tie a good 3 or 4 turn overhand loop in the braid then a healthy dollop of superglue and leave to dry before trimming the tag end (on the braid reel line just after spooled up the reel). Once dried this leaves you with a nice solid loop to attach swivel clips / rigs (via loop-to-loop joining) directly to your main line for clean ground fishing

You can also tie on mono leader (rubbing/shock) for rough ground / tope / conger fishing. If you ever have a snag that makes a real mess of tearing this lot apart (doubtful) just cut the braid a good few inches above the old 'loop-end' and start again. - usually you loose the mono leader (etc.) but no stretch damage to your braid mainline.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Grinner ---- Uniknot are they knot the same thing?
Yes and they're both the same as the "nail knot" when pulled up.

try tying them in the thickest line you can manage (clothes line or some cord) and see that when they're neatly finished they have the same shape.

The only advantage of a grinner over a uni is that the initial turns (which come out of the knot as it is tightened up) help guide the wraps as they "capsize" to more easily snug down neatly without any crossed-coils.

PS there is a knot called the "Stren knot" which consists of a uni in the mono but a half-blood knot in the braid and is supposed to be stronger than a uni-uni when joining braid to mono.
I think there is supposed to be less tendency of the braid to cut the mono when under heavy strain.

PPS I wonder if MIke or Mike junior should post a "sticky" on using search for (for example) this specific subject ?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Thanks

Neil Mackellow's knot is an albright but tied with doubled loops............. I'll give it a go!
Thats the way i do it.
Never had a problem just give it plenty of turns if your using very thin braid.

Alan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts