World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Depends very much on ground being covered and rod/reel combo in use but Powerpro takes some beating on the braid front and Maxima chameleon is a superb nylon. Have'nt yet found a fluoro that I have any confidence in. Hope this helps. Think you might get so many alternative answers/opinions that you might wish you had'nt asked :laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
I am with AJ above F1, if your on a tight budget ultima sea streak is very good value.

·
Smutdog
1,675 Posts
ive been using the stuff for years and cant fault it, but i do prefer the black to the titanium and hi viz........ And WSF shop do great deals on it

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I dont know if I got a few bad spools but I was very dissapointed with F1. It was very wirey and had very week knot strength and didnt cope with the rough ground over here at all.

I use Red Ice which is half the price and in my experience totally outperforms its more expensive stable mate.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Would you go back in and update your question........
I guess it is for shore casting (because of your favourite rod & reel), but

Will it be on sandy ground (like Sillery) where you can use a really thin diameter mono (or really thin braid on a fixed spool) ? You can get extra-strong thin lines, but (despite what they claim) their abrasion resistance will be poor compared with quality 'standard' mono of (say) 0.35mm

Have you used braid on a multiplier, and got on with it ? some folks just do not like it (and for them any distance advantage is outweighed by the problems)

------------------------------------------------------------------
For extreme distance on a multiplier (losing out on the abrasion) with strength I like Shimano Antares Silkshock (very expensive); for slightly less distance Speedmaster Special Surf or (from Rok-Max) the "mystic green" low-stretch, low-diameter mono (which has good abrasion resistance, for a thin mono)

in the case of braid (on a multi) TufLine XP, PowerPro, Dynon MTC/XFC or Climax ("Stipp" which, I gather means "match")

braid on a fixed spool: any of the above and also Shimano Aspire Spinning (rather than Sea) braid (the Spinning is thinner for a b.s.) which is expensive

All these options are heavily outweighed by being able to cast well; a good caster with (say) 0.35mm Ultima or Sufffix Tritanium will do better than a moderate caster with any of the above (of any diameter).

·
Registered
588 Posts
ive been using the stuff for years and cant fault it, but i do prefer the black to the titanium and hi viz........ And WSF shop do great deals on it
Any reason why you prefer the black over the hi-viz ? I use the hi-viz and have also used the titanium and much prefer the hi-viz. Not tried the black yet.

·
Smutdog
1,675 Posts
Any reason why you prefer the black over the hi-viz ? I use the hi-viz and have also used the titanium and much prefer the hi-viz. Not tried the black yet.
It just seems to lay on the spool better and feels more supple in your hand, had a spool of hi viz about a year ago and it didnt seem to age well, as it goes my reels have titanium on them at the moment.....

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
F1 in black for for me, but I'm not that fussy as most lines are pretty good.

Also like varivas sport for a hi-viz line
Penn super surf but I think they stopped it? and Suffix tritanium

·
Registered
770 Posts
Me personally didn't get on with f1 titanium at all, found it v weak knot strength and abrasion resistance was pwp. Lost a 12lb+ small eyed because of the leader knot. Not saying i wouldn't have lost it if i had different line on but, i weren't 100% confident in it's knots. At the moment i got 17lb stren on my reel, i find it quite good, doesn't lay as good as some lines on the reel and is slightly thicker than other lines in it's breaking strain category. But, it has excellent knot strength, abrasion resistance is good and me personally think that they are the two main things you should have from a FISHING line. If you want a line for CASTING then obviously that wouldn't matter so much.
Find a line you get on with i've tried many and will keep trying until i find one that's 100% for ME.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Me personally didn't get on with f1 titanium at all, found it v weak knot strength and abrasion resistance was pwp. Lost a 12lb+ small eyed because of the leader knot. Not saying i wouldn't have lost it if i had different line on but, i weren't 100% confident in it's knots. At the moment i got 17lb stren on my reel, i find it quite good, doesn't lay as good as some lines on the reel and is slightly thicker than other lines in it's breaking strain category. But, it has excellent knot strength, abrasion resistance is good and me personally think that they are the two main things you should have from a FISHING line. If you want a line for CASTING then obviously that wouldn't matter so much.
Find a line you get on with i've tried many and will keep trying until i find one that's 100% for ME.
I tried the Stren for a while and I believe that the breaking strain advertised on it is far lower than the actual strenth of the line, this may account for the thickness. I totally agree about the F1.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
F1 is the mutts but if its a little steep maybe try ultima Distance which is a little cheaper and has a better abrasion resistance due to being slightly thicker. i use distance on my rough ground reels and its been perfect, use the F1 on my clean ground reels and its ideal, only downside to F1 in black is that it's a B**ger to see at night. seastrike in bulk spools is also very good considering its price! but the locals down here have a nick name for red ice...... "red sh*te" nuff said!

Ross

·
Registered
926 Posts
i use these ultima lines f1, power plus, distance & power steel

if you can buy these line in 1/2 kg bulk spool it works out cheaper

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'm using the Black at the moment after years of using Daiwa Tournament..i must say that i find the F1 a bit thinner than the Daiwa line and if i get a slight overrun it is difficult to sort out, especially at night, even with a good headlamp.Small overruns seem to get more knotted on the spool than any line i've previously used.Other than that, it seems to cast well and knot ok,though had to redo a leader knot a couple of times as it broke when i tightened it the other day.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
f1 black. its the nuts on a fixed spool.

been giving veals mail order. varivas vermax "strong".a go.seems very nice if a little expensive save it for the non rock marks though.

both these lines cope very well with the areas i fish which ranges from mud flats to tackle hungry kelp,somtimes in the same session depending on state of the tide.nice thin diameter which helps cut through the tide(less drag,better hold on bottom).and cast extremly well.

if on a budget cant beat diawa sensor sea. or v.m.o. vermax sport mono.

avoid mustad line!! deteriates very, very quickly.rubbish abrasion resistance.

personal choice and thought but I tend to shy away from brightly coloured lines except for leaders on night sessions.it makes me feel like a tinsel tosser (no offence ment):2:

p.s.
sorry:eek:fftopic:
Raveling tangler.have you thought about kids sled for out on those mudflats:marinheir

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
:eek:fftopic:
Not needed for the flats I tend to visit, though when the softer mud is at its thickest (maybe a foot deep) and most sticky it would be easier with a "mud horse" or some sort of sled.

Just recently it was almost mud free near the high water area (the first 50 yards out from the base of the sea wall) then horrible sticky mud that was ankle deep from there to just above low water(springs) where it changed to no mud at all.

I guess that some rough weather or absolutely torrential rain happened when the tide was nearly in (or had just started going out) and calmed again before half-ebb was reached

·
Crinkly line
2,643 Posts
If you can find some... Suffix Tritanium in Red is awsome, Very abrasion resistant, little stretch and ties a very good knot.

Or as said before if on a budget? You wont go far wrong with Diawa Sensor, the 12lb breaking strain is about as thick as most 15lb lines, but it is tough as arsehooles and good value.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts