World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Any of the reputable brands are fine IMO - power pro is excellent and knots well, whiplash is very thin and when ground fishing means you really can get away without using a lot less lead.

·
Registered
109 Posts
hi. i've been using spectra braid from china for years; never lost a fish yet (apart from a very very large stingray earlier this year)it cost about £20 for 1000mts . can't go wrong at that price.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
power pro for sure..iv just filled my 2 new abu reels with it,on top of mono filler..ebay uk red power pro..500yds 53lb £31.95..bargain..that filled both reels:happy:
You are going to have some fun pulling for a break on 53lb mate, can't understand why you used such heavy line on them little reels for where you are fishing. You will need more weight to hold bottom than if you'd gone for say 30lb.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Berkley whiplash crystal all the way, i use 45, 50 and 55lb across my favourite regular multipliers for UK fishing. Its probably as thin as 30lb powerpro or others, but with higher b/s, more supple and makes great braid to fluoro connections.
I tried powerpro and daiwa depth hunter and didnt get on with them, took them off and replaced with whiplash crystal.

Shop around to find it for circa £25 for 300yds, typically enough for 1 reel with another 100yds+ nylon backing.

For (very) big game reels i use Jerry Brown hollow core from the USA, but its overkill for any UK requirements.

·
Registered
14,359 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
The above ebay stuff I tried was dreadful for wrecking - no abrasion resistance & very thick - broke well under stated B/S .
I can see why you would go for for 50lb sharpshooter the 30lb I had broke like cotton.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
A lot depends on what you want to do with it . The whiplash is very thin for b/s , in fast currents and clean ground say blonde ray sand bank fishing or drifting for flatties over sand it might be best option .
For wrecking in moderate tides or rough ground /reef fishing you might be better off with a thicker coated braid .
I've used braid since the mid 90's starting with Leeda outcast . Tried all sorts . They have improved but the cheap imported eBay stuff is the worst I have ever tried .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.