World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I have just bought a Warrior 165 which came with a Lowrance Elite-5. Unfortunately the card that came with it is for the south east of England. We will primarily be fishing on the west coast of Scotland - what card do we require? The unit takes the micro-sd card.

Thanks,

Allan

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'd give Navionics a call. I've found them very helpful and they will advise the best way to get a good deal. I'm sure someone on here will be interested in your old card which will help toward cost too.

The card usually comes as a micro sd in a sd adapter so can be used in both.

Geographically, you can get either a localised area or the whole of UK. Depends how far you're likely to travel.

In terms of detail options the main thing to consider is whether you want just basic nav charts or the additional option of sonar charts. The sonarcharts are more detailed contours so will give you much more detail to find underwater fishing features so quite useful in that respect. You can also get satellite imagery of land included but how practically useful this is, I'm not convinced.

In all cases you will get 12 months of map updates online as part of the purchase.

Personally, I went for whole of UK as it wasn't that much dearer than a localised area. I also went for the "platinum plus" feature which includes nav and sonar but not sat imagery.

As I say, best give Navionics a call, they are very helpful at guiding you through what options you may prefer.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Emailed Navionics support but not had too much success.

Any idea what card this is?

Allan

·
Registered
774 Posts
That would be the card for the whole of the UK, Ireland and the coast of Holland. But it is missing its micro-SD card so to be exact, that is a micro-SD to SD adapter with a Navionics label on it. Without the Micro-SD card it is not much use...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would be the card for the whole of the UK, Ireland and the coast of Holland. But it is missing its micro-SD card so to be exact, that is a micro-SD to SD adapter with a Navionics label on it. Without the Micro-SD card it is not much use...
Thanks.

The micro-sd is in the elite-5. Unless i'm doing something wrong, there is no data for any area in Scotland. I'll get another picture of what it does display tonight, but the first image I showed gives you a rough idea.

Allan

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Allan,
The navionics chart needs to be selected in Chart -> Chart Settings -> Chart data which should give you the option of Lowrance or Navionics.
The image shows what looks like the basic background that comes with the set, so worth checking.

Steve

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Allan,
The navionics chart needs to be selected in Chart -> Chart Settings -> Chart data which should give you the option of Lowrance or Navionics.
The image shows what looks like the basic background that comes with the set, so worth checking.

Steve
Some man! For some reason the menu has the west of Scotland in as Eastern UK. But hey, that saves £100 or so! Wont need up to date charts as it's mostly sea lochs we fish in which dont change too much!

Thanks for your help!

Allan

·
Registered
774 Posts
Wont need up to date charts as it's mostly sea lochs we fish in which dont change too much!
The cartography for the sea lochs is often very old and based on sets of hand lead soundings from the 19th century. Which means that they are frequently updated when shallows and obstructions are reported. While you may not want to pay out every year for updated charts it is definitely worth doing so every few years. When navigating close to the shore (and sometimes not so close to the shore) you should always be prepared for the chart to be wrong!

I met a guy once who did not have an echo sounder or fishfinder on board his boat. He truly believed that as he had a chart plotter he did not need one...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.