World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've mentioned before, my fella wants a boat (especially now, after doing some boat fishing this weekend)... :)

He is currently working full-time renovating our cottage, and so not taking/earning a salary. After this weekend's trips, we've agreed that he can have a percentage of the increase in value of the cottage to buy a boat with- we're just negotiating the actual percentage... :)

A quick look on ebay shows that an inflatable boat with inflatable floor can be had for around £600, with a rigid floored one a little more expensive. His plan is to go to the boat show and buy when we have agreed how much he can spend...

Any tips on what he should look for, and what price I can expect him to be aiming at...? :) I've already told him he can't have a speedboat...

He'll be aiming at using the boat for fishing, and dropping/retrieving pots.

I've been advised by other fishy friends to also look at shared boat ownership - any advice on that score?

Cheers!

ODG

·
Banned
820 Posts
Hi Outdoorgirl,
I can't offer much advice on inflatibles except to say have him think twice about them. :g:
Nothing to beat whilst fishing, having the security of a solid hull and deck below your feet even if it is a small hull and deck. :)

Boat sharing? It might work if he is sharing it with you? Otherwise make sure he knows the sharer very well and they are prepared to put in the effort,time and money to make the experience a pleasent one. :)

T

·
0 Posts
Rajabatis has said it all.
Whilst an inflatable can be OK for fishing if used in experienced hands they can also be downright dangerous. Inflatable decks are also really only tenders for bigger boats or very simple run arounds.

If it has to be an inflatable then go for a RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat) as they are good sea boats for their size.

My preference on a tight budget will be a good old Microplus, Shetland or if you can get one on budget then a Seahog or similar.

The guys on here will give stacks of advice and steer you the right way if you can give them a better idea of how much will be available.

Tom

·
Banned
820 Posts
Rajabatis has said it all.
Whilst an inflatable can be OK for fishing if used in experienced hands they can also be downright dangerous. Inflatable decks are also really only tenders for bigger boats or very simple run arounds.

If it has to be an inflatable then go for a RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat) as they are good sea boats for their size.

My preference on a tight budget will be a good old Microplus, Shetland or if you can get one on budget then a Seahog or similar.

The guys on here will give stacks of advice and steer you the right way if you can give them a better idea of how much will be available.

Tom
Tom we actually agreed on something! Can I come and share your boat with you now?:kissing: :boat:

T

·
0 Posts
Of course you can David!
Can you give me £23K and half will be yours!

Tom

PS: Before you write the cheque out though, it is a very long way to come down just to wet a line.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Of course you can David!
Can you give me £23K and half will be yours!

Tom

PS: Before you write the cheque out though, it is a very long way to come down just to wet a line.
That sound fair, the distance is no problem. My cheques bounce a long way.............but lets get one thing straight before we agree a deal.

I wan't the inside half okay?.:g: :boat:

See Outdoorgirl? Shared boats.:uhuh:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Whilst an inflatable can be OK for fishing if used in experienced hands they can also be downright dangerous
I have had 20 years experiance of inflatables, I personally have owned 3 soft hulled boats , an Avon searider , and have driven various other inflatables\Ribs in the course of diving, and I would never describe them as being potentially dangerous, no more than any other boat in inexperianced hands, on the contrary, the reason that dive boats generally are inflatables , is because of their incredible buoyancy & stability.
As an example you can have 2 divers hanging off the side of an inflatable with all their kit, and they can haul themselves in without capsizing the boat!!!!
The other notion is that inflatables are easy to puncture,they are not, obviously they can be punctured , but I have done a lot of fishing/diving from inflatables, and have never witnessed a tube being punctured.
Inflatable tubes are pumped up to a maximum 3psi , and if they do leak ,they do not go down like a balloon, they merely go soft and can be topped up with a footpump.

In my experiance the only real downside to inflatables is they are very wet boats, and lack obvious creature comforts, but they are safe , and if swamped will still float

Cheers Ian

:boat: :boat: :boat:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice so far - I think he would shy away from the shared boat idea too, but wanted to get some other opinions...

Price is still under discussion... :) Initially we've estimated that the value of the house will increase by (at most) £40k; I have suggested that 5% is a reasonable rate, which would give him a max of £2k to spend on boat, outboard, safety gear, gadgets and instruction.

We don't really have anywhere to 'park' a solid boat & trailer, so while we'd both far rather have a solid boat, an inflatable one that can be packed away looks like our option for the next year or two.

Plenty of people fish using kayaks so surely an inflatable would suit until funds and space allow for something more sturdy?

ODG

·
Banned
820 Posts
Thanks for the advice so far - I think he would shy away from the shared boat idea too, but wanted to get some other opinions...

Price is still under discussion... :) Initially we've estimated that the value of the house will increase by (at most) £40k; I have suggested that 5% is a reasonable rate, which would give him a max of £2k to spend on boat, outboard, safety gear, gadgets and instruction.

We don't really have anywhere to 'park' a solid boat & trailer, so while we'd both far rather have a solid boat, an inflatable one that can be packed away looks like our option for the next year or two.

Plenty of people fish using kayaks so surely an inflatable would suit until funds and space allow for something more sturdy?

ODG
Hi Plenty of people with a liking for suffering have Kayaks. :yucky: The chap that sold me my boat said he was crippled at the end of a session in the kayak. He could hardly stand. Try sitting on your bum with your legs our in font of you, maybe raising your knees a bit to stretch in up to 4 hour stints or
more. Creeek. Whatever turns you on?

An inflatable is on that score a better option, (and a wetsuit) then at least you can move about.

Could you not find somewhere to store a boat though, while it is not being used?:g:

T

·
0 Posts
Could you not find somewhere to store a boat though, while it is not being used?:g:
Totally with you here David.
Most bigger fishing and or crusing clubs have compounds that can be used at a nominal fee and whilst I agree with IanZ that Ribs are very sea worthy I don't agree that soft hulled inflatables are anything like as good.

I would still thoroughly recommend trying to byu a good used solid boat. Just the added freeboard alone gives a sense of security whilst you are finding your feet.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajabatis
Could you not find somewhere to store a boat though, while it is not being used?

Totally with you here David.
Most bigger fishing and or crusing clubs have compounds that can be used at a nominal fee and whilst I agree with IanZ that Ribs are very sea worthy I don't agree that soft hulled inflatables are anything like as good.

I would still thoroughly recommend trying to byu a good used solid boat. Just the added freeboard alone gives a sense of security whilst you are finding your feet.

What is your own personal experiance of owning / driving inflatables,
And you hav'nt really answered the question as to why they are dangerous in inexperianced hands

Cheers Ian

·
Registered
2,684 Posts

ODG
Hehe - I think we need to hear his counter proposal in order to advise really! And maybe a breakdown of where the other 95% goes :)

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I think you're looking at at least 7.5% of the increase before he can buy something that isn't a gamble as to whether it's ok or not.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Tom , a quick question,

What is your own personal experiance of owning / driving inflatables,
And you hav'nt really answered the question as to why they are dangerous in inexperianced hands

Cheers Ian

Hi ian I can see your point that they must be near unsinkable. But by your own admission you say they are a wet ride. So unless it's warm that means a wet suit or some other clothing a floatation suit or similar to keep dry. If it's cold then no shelter other than a suit, doesn't sound a lot of fun to me to fish from.
The lady said her partner was going to use it for lifting pots. Is an inflatable suitable for that?
Only asking as I have never had one and the only time i have been in one is as a tender to get to a boat and I did not enjoy it one bit.
I watched the lifeboat rescue guys last week when I was out and whilst it looked a lot of fun.
As a fishing boat? I don't know.........:g:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

ODG
****We don't really have anywhere to 'park' a solid boat & trailer, so while we'd both far rather have a solid boat, an inflatable one that can be packed away looks like our option for the next year or two.****

There are two types of inflateable a Rigid Inflatable Boat ( RIB ) and a simple inflatable with a flat removeable floor.
A RIB is really a solid boat with inflatable sides, it is kept and transported on a trailer. So you will need storage space.

The basic type of inflateable will indeed fold flat when emptied of air, BUT for anything over 10 foot the folded flat parcell will weigh in the order of 100lb+ . Then add the weight of the engine, and the removeable floor panels and your well over what can be handled easily.
Next problem .. INFLATION and I don't mean the cost of living! A 10ft + inflatable takes a LOT of air to inflate probably more than you will ever want to pump in manualy more than once in your life time! It is also damned hard to deflate to the state it can be folded. Yuo can get 12 Volt (car electrics) electric pumps to do these jobs and you WILL need one.

Lastly .. Did you mention using it to drop pot's ? An inflatable is totaly unsuited for this except for one or two pots on high days and holidays. The risk of wear and tear is just too high for this sort of heavy work.

It might be an idea to re-think what you want to do V's what you need in a boat to do those tasks. And I guess the variable will have to be limiting what you want to do so that it fits the sort of inflatable that is practicable for you to use.

I am sorry to go on at length but I have been told by one of the moderators that I try to take over a thread. All I am trying to do is give a balanced argument based on over 50 years mucking about in boats.

Afishionado

·
Banned
820 Posts
H Outdoorgirl
This is an excellent comprehensive, not taking over the thread, summing up on why an inflatable is perhaps not the greatest fishing boat option from AF. :)

Keep us all posted on yours/his :kissing::boat: final choice. :)

T

·
0 Posts
AF, Raja

I am very impressed.
You two can play nicely when you both want!!!

Tom

1 - 20 of 37 Posts