World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

What reel do I need for boatfishing on doggies, ray, pollack,...
It has to be a left handed one.
From our sponsor I've had a Daiwa Firewolf FW47Hi, right handed.
So I can do nothing with it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Gulle,

The Abu 7001 would be a suitable reel for your requirements. It is the left hand version of the Abu7000.

I use this version for all but Conger fishing and can highly recommend it.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thank you.

I've found the following reels:

* ABU 7001 C3 - 115 euro
* ABU AMBASSADEUR 7001 HS - 166 euro
* PENN 115 LLH SENATOR - 150 £
* PENN 114 LH SENATOR - 125 £
* PENN 321 GTI - 95 £

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Gulle,

The Ambassadeur is the one I have, if you can afford it, then go for it.

The Abu Range of reels are very easy to maintain and repair yourself.

Penn is a swear word to me!!!

Cheers

Drew

F

·
0 Posts
Cannot be bothered to write it all out again. So here it is copied and pasted from the other link in the tackle section :p

I have two reels that i fish boating comps with and find they are fantastic for the price of them.

The first one is a Shakespeare Navigator 2923 401 (Level wind) and the second is a Shakespeare Ugly Boat 2916 401 (Level wind).

I am normally a Penn man myself but i have found these reels to be excellent for fishng off the Scottish coastline and can recommend them to anyone. The Navigator is especially good with braid.

Both reels can be bought for left handed people at no extra cost.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Gulle,

If you are boat fishing then you want 30 - 40lb braid with a shockleader of 20ft or so (Twice the length of your rod plus a few turns round your reel). The choice is yours. Might I suggest that you use braid and not Fire Line. (Rubbish)

I generally use 40ld as my traces are normally 30lb, however my spare spool is loaded with 30lb so that I can change, whenever, although I never have done.

Before using braid it pays to check the rings on your rod for nicks, these will shred it to ribbons on your first drop.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the new Fireline XDS not a good braid?

I also have the nylon Fendreel from Colmic 40 Lb (40/00 mm) and the Maxima Ultra Green 30 Lb (50/00mm).

·
Registered
686 Posts
Never had a problem with Fireline myself - though it pays to take care when tying knots as they can slip more than 'normal' braid - due to the smooth coating.

Gulle where are you fishing? - the other thing to consider is if you want a level wind or not. Some people prefer to use level wind reels with braid as it's easy to slice through a cold thumb when trying to spool the line under load.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Spellbound,

Normally I am fishing in Belgium (North Sea), though I am coming to Weymouth in september and in oktober.

I don't know what "Levelwind" is, but it is the ABU BG 7001 HS that I ordered.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I think you've made a good choice :)

A level wind is a mechanism that moves the line back and forth across the reel spool - saves having to spool the line manually with your thumb.

Hope the new reel is 'lucky' :)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Gulle,

Nice reel best of luck and I hope you enjoy Weymouth.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Gulle,

It's not the tying of the knots that I find a problem with, it is like fishing with a length of plastic twine.

I know that some people like it, I just hate it as much as I do Penn fishing tackle.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Drew,

I agree that the normal Fireline is like plastic, but I've bought the
Fireline XDS green smoke.

Ideal for baitcast reels - rounder profile, exceptional casting
100% more durable
Smoother, rounder line - more colorfast

·
Registered
686 Posts
Only ever used "standard" Fireline in 14lb for spinning and 20lb for light boat work - it does tend to fur up after a few years though.

The reason I've not tried XDS is the thinner diameter might not be as abrasive resistant??

Usuallly for 30lb braid I use Dynon or Powerpro ( which is the best I've tried ).

I've got 80lb Berkley whiplash on one of my wrecking reels - through havent tried it out yet.

Did have a few bad experiences with the early Penn dynabraid ( light blue ) - though I do notice now that it's claimed to be "improved" ( on the label anyway )

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am using the XDS 12 Lbs for boatfishing
(flounder, sole, whiting, cod,...)

Here we don't have rough ground.

Before I was fishing with Whiplash (10/00).
The XDS 16/00 is thinner than the Whiplash.
I think they measure the flat side of the whiplash.
It's a big fraude.

It is rare, Fireline and Whiplash are both from Berkley...

grtz

1 - 19 of 19 Posts