World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Newbie sea angler )
Evening guys recently came back from Cape Verde boa Costa.

After doing alot of surf fishing I took out a agility surf 70 and found it on was very happy for £40

But when got back it ceased to hell iv stripped to gears and it's just a nightmare and dosnt feel the same. Is there anything you recommend for my 12ft beachcasters

Looking around the 75-100£ mark fir each reel

As a carp angler never fussed about sealed units and worries against

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are they all sealed for sea fiahing against the elements sand/salt

I use XTDs14000 for fresh water

Thanks arther

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Use the xtd ultegras you already have, it's just a black version of the xsd ultegra right?

You can get sealed reels, like the Penn spinfisher etc, but I don't believe many are.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But with this agility surf 70 I have no confidence I know it's a cheap reel but used many £50 reels in the past

It was salted and and full of sand some how even in main shaft and in main casing

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's only been used for the week in Cape Verde and really dont want to be going through reels I'm was just hoping something out there which is bomb proof lol

Cheers bacon mate

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Ah, I've had one of my surfblasters apart for a regrease, didn't need it, just curiosity on my part!

It was easy enough, maybe a strip down and a clean and regrease is all it needs.

Sand will get anywhere given an opportunity, you have to make sure your reels get a good rinse under the tap to remove salt/sand after every session.

But if sand gets in then you'll need to give it a proper clean down

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
another vote for Okuma a mate just got the Okuma Trio Rex TXS60 had a play with it and that seems very solid also some other good reviews of it on here.
Pete

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
Are they all sealed for sea fiahing against the elements sand/salt

I use XTDs14000 for fresh water

Thanks arther
:) I've been using ABU Cardinal F/S reels for sea fishing for 40 years and they've never failed me. Caught everything from flatties and mullet to bass and dorado without a problem, not cheap in their day but totally reliable. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:) I've been using ABU Cardinal F/S reels for sea fishing for 40 years and they've never failed me. Caught everything from flatties and mullet to bass and dorado without a problem, not cheap in their day but totally reliable. :)

How often do you take them right down to removing gears mate

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
How often do you take them right down to removing gears mate
:) Never. I remove the side plate and check the grease and put a few drops of oil where needed. I then put a few drops of oil or grease on the rotor bearing. Lastly I oil the bail arm roller, the handle and the bail arm springs and pivots. I originally bought these reels for carp and pond fishing, then when I joined the RN I used them for sea fishing. I've replaced 1 bail arm spring and a couple of sets of drag washers for the rear drag and that's it. I've had dorado to 30lb and loads of other similar fish, I play fish, not bully them. Buy cheap and buy twice is my motto. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's awsome gives me a little faith on my agility 70 but may get the Penn 2 battlesurf what ever there called yeah iv ended up stripping mine twice now it's clear but the poxy anti reverse dosnt work God knows what iv done I'm going mad

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
On the surfblaster mk1 which I no longer have, the anti reverse uses a needle bearing setup, I.e vertical steel rollers around a plastic sleeve. The rollers fall back to engage the anti reverse.

To get them to stay in place during installation you have to apply the smallest amount of grease.

Too much grease on these roller bearings and they will stick and not fall backwards to lock the reverse. There is also a tiny little return spring for the lever. Which the first time you disassemble the reel you are bound to damage/lose, which I did :) luckily my local tackle shop sourced me one.

No idea how the anti reverse works on your reel, but if it uses a needle bearing setup. Open it back up and clean the grease off!

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
That's awsome gives me a little faith on my agility 70 but may get the Penn 2 battlesurf what ever there called yeah iv ended up stripping mine twice now it's clear but the poxy anti reverse dosnt work God knows what iv done I'm going mad
:) If it's still under warranty take/send it back as it's not fit for purpose. :(

·
Banned
5,509 Posts
ABU made great reels at this time Norm.Now they make rubbish just like Penn and
many other brands.

·
Registered
12,915 Posts
Fin Nor. Been using them for around 6/7 years, 4000 and 6500 sizes on bonito, `cuda, bluefish, amberjack cannot break them no matter what I do.:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts