World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought new rods - Daiwa Amorphous Whisker 129PM
Can anyone give me advice on which reels to buy to go with them. Budget up to £100 each
Most of my fishing is on clean ground,
Any suggestions welcomed.

P

·
0 Posts
mag-elite or a 7ht and here is where i get lambasted
dont go for the penn reels as they are a pile of tosh

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Pobo
Strap yourself in and get ready. There is one hell of a storm coming your way!! :D

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
buying a 525 super mag sat thank's for that mate, what do i do now then ??????? any advice on 525 please.

P

·
0 Posts
that is completely and utterly my own opinion you may find it is the best reel you have ever owned as a load of people in this forum will tell you,
i just dont rate them much

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm with Bigfish. I don't rate Penn gear very highly at all (although many do). For clean ground try Abu 6500 Mag Elite, rough ground Daiwa SL20SH or SL30SH (the boys at Torbay Angling are knocking out the new SLX versions at £80!). For the ultimate ask Garry about his Trinidads, very nice but well over your budget.

:) KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Smutman

Welcome to the forum

If you intend to use the reel for smuts then I would suggest you go for something with a line out alarm - penn 525 (mag or GS) or daiwa slosh20.

Penn reels seem to be loved and hated in equal measure. All I can say is that I have 2 525mags, and think they are fantastic. One word that sums them up is versatile. I have used them over a variety of ground from clean to fairly rough, and with lines from 15-25lb. They handled a couple of tope from the shore last week without any trouble at all :D

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I have got myself a left hand wind abu 7000 big game gold, its lovely, I just cant get the hand of the slosh or penns because of the need to lay line, the levelwind is great.

T

·
0 Posts
I personally find that the Abu's are sh**, reel seats always falling off, no ratchet, limp gearing, and no guts.
not a patch on the Penns or Slosh's.
bear in mind it's just my opinion.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i agree with tim abu reels have no guts at all only good for flattie bashing and hopeless over rough ground go for the penn 525 mag or daiwa slosh 30

·
Registered
196 Posts
Abu's are fine for general fishing over clean ground, but I would go for slosh or penn for heavier ground.
I have 6500, 7000 nice precision reels. I also have a slosh 20, 30 and penn 525, 535 and 25 LD all of which are proper robust reels, they just need a bit of tuning to make them nice and smooth.

T

·
0 Posts
I've used the abu 7000's, there OK, bit like strapping a oil drum to your rod though, about 20 years out of date, prefer newer style materials/models myself.

T

·
0 Posts
nice reels, one piece frame, could do with a power handle, but better reel than the abu's. very user friendly reel

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I like Abus seem very well made and robust, at least the multis do. BTW my 6000 has a ratchet ;)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
bought the super mag saturday and it's spot on, i could not fault it to be honest it's what ive been looking for in a reel, if your looking for a new reel try malcolm abc beumaris got it for £90. plenty of bargain's there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts