World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going boat fishing for the first time soon mainly targeting inshore species such as bream and triggers etc... I have a 15lb boat road and multiplier loaded with 18lbs line and shock leader. My question is what end tackle do you recomend? will the same rigs as I use of the shore do e.g. flappers and running ledgers? Also how long should my leader be and snoods be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Bream are generally close to the bottom so short paternosters rigs with short hook lengths would work.

Small strong hooks...4's or 6's. Saying that we had bream on a wreck off Weymouth last weekend take whole squid on 6/0's meant for ling!!

Where are you fishing?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm going boat fishing for the first time soon mainly targeting inshore species such as bream and triggers etc... I have a 15lb boat road and multiplier loaded with 18lbs line and shock leader. My question is what end tackle do you recomend? will the same rigs as I use of the shore do e.g. flappers and running ledgers? Also how long should my leader be and snoods be?

Thanks.
take a look at jonesthefish on freewebs.com for some good info.

Bream:
8-10" boom. 2/3 hook running ledger 5-8 feet long(same principle as simple paternoster 6"droppers). Yellow with red dots 8mm Gemmini floating beads(these are lumi beads as well) next to each hook, 15-20 flourocarbon trace. I tend to go for a Ukhooks SS hook or the very small Stainless steel type oshaunasey hook sizes 6 - 1/O according to size of fish.
Or simple 3 hook paternoster rig without the beads.
Just all depends on how they are feeding. More important is varing your weight as the tide increases or drops. Start just behind the boat and get it so your reach bottom, lift and spool twice now hold and wait for 2/3 minutes. just tap your lead very softly on the bottom. occaisionally hit bottom and lower your rod tip a bit more. then lift and spool. then another 2/3 minutes. same again until you find the fish. dont worry about how far back you are going. but try to repeat where you find the fish. if way back from boat. flick down tide to get there quicker. if you use too much weight you wont be able to lift and trot. Too little and you wont be able to feel bottom long enough or at all. fine tune it. now very important. if not most important! DO NOT STRIKE! when you get the bite it will be a violent tap tap tap. Lower your rod as if you are offering it to the fish very slowly. as he taps it just lift up very slowly and they will almost always grab it. Fish on! DO NOT PUMP THE FISH! SET YOUR DRAG and just wind. be prepared to dip your rod if need be but do not pump the fish!

Bait. Squid cut 1/2" slithers of squid. right here's the important bit. Thick end first. in once, twice then third time. pull the thick bit just over the eye of the hook. now tidy the bait so its nice and flat. Scallop frills work good. Ragworm yes but too many wrasse and pout and poor cod.

Using these methods I've had over 50 bream in a sesh on a number of boats. Secret is out now! But we are all still learning. Thats the best part about angling!

Triggers: Another of my favourite fish! Had 25 in one day and 165 in three days between 6 anglers. Oh yes quality.
Same traces as for the bream just up the trace line strength. They love squid guts. and a secret bait is Cockles. cooked ones or uncooked but the cooked can be bound on with the italian extra fine bait elastic and used time and time again.

Think this is quite good will post on my site!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
take a look at jonesthefish on freewebs.com for some good info.

Bream:
8-10" boom. 2/3 hook running ledger 5-8 feet long(same principle as simple paternoster 6"droppers). Yellow with red dots 8mm Gemmini floating beads(these are lumi beads as well) next to each hook, 15-20 flourocarbon trace. I tend to go for a Ukhooks SS hook or the very small Stainless steel type oshaunasey hook sizes 6 - 1/O according to size of fish.
Or simple 3 hook paternoster rig without the beads.
Just all depends on how they are feeding. More important is varing your weight as the tide increases or drops. Start just behind the boat and get it so your reach bottom, lift and spool twice now hold and wait for 2/3 minutes. just tap your lead very softly on the bottom. occaisionally hit bottom and lower your rod tip a bit more. then lift and spool. then another 2/3 minutes. same again until you find the fish. dont worry about how far back you are going. but try to repeat where you find the fish. if way back from boat. flick down tide to get there quicker. if you use too much weight you wont be able to lift and trot. Too little and you wont be able to feel bottom long enough or at all. fine tune it. now very important. if not most important! DO NOT STRIKE! when you get the bite it will be a violent tap tap tap. Lower your rod as if you are offering it to the fish very slowly. as he taps it just lift up very slowly and they will almost always grab it. Fish on! DO NOT PUMP THE FISH! SET YOUR DRAG and just wind. be prepared to dip your rod if need be but do not pump the fish!

Bait. Squid cut 1/2" slithers of squid. right here's the important bit. Thick end first. in once, twice then third time. pull the thick bit just over the eye of the hook. now tidy the bait so its nice and flat. Scallop frills work good. Ragworm yes but too many wrasse and pout and poor cod.

Using these methods I've had over 50 bream in a sesh on a number of boats. Secret is out now! But we are all still learning. Thats the best part about angling!

Triggers: Another of my favourite fish! Had 25 in one day and 165 in three days between 6 anglers. Oh yes quality.
Same traces as for the bream just up the trace line strength. They love squid guts. and a secret bait is Cockles. cooked ones or uncooked but the cooked can be bound on with the italian extra fine bait elastic and used time and time again.

Think this is quite good will post on my site!
Nice answer, thanks. Just one question, how do you do a 2/3 hook running ledger? I only ever use just the one. Do you mean have all the hook lengths bellow the weight?

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
A good reply from Big Bones and worth listening to - but I'd make a couple of minor changes as they seem to work best for me and my style of fishing. Keep the rod/tackle light and your rig simple - a basic one hook Portland Rig does the job with about a 3-4 foot trace.

When baiting up cut your squid into small squares/strips and thread several onto the hook to make sure that if the fish snatch one piece of squid off there's still plenty more to attract them back to the hook :)

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
....take the shockleader off.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
poughill reef has a nice rig he has developed himself after hours of experimenting on bream and triggers, got flouro hook lengths etc i think, i am sure he will be able to help.

from what i have read/seen its good to use one of those cage weights, which you can fill with mashed fish to get the scent going.

:bounce::bounce:

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
464 Posts
poughill reef has a nice rig he has developed himself after hours of experimenting on bream and triggers, got flouro hook lengths etc i think, i am sure he will be able to help.

from what i have read/seen its good to use one of those cage weights, which you can fill with mashed fish to get the scent going.

:bounce::bounce:
Pardon me, what is a caged weight ???

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pardon me, what is a caged weight ???
I can help you with that one, its like a weight/swimfeeder. Basically a small metal weighted cage you stuff full of goodies for the fish.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Nice answer, thanks. Just one question, how do you do a 2/3 hook running ledger? I only ever use just the one. Do you mean have all the hook lengths bellow the weight?
Make the paternoster as you would if you were going to fish with a weight on the bottom of it but instead shorten the snoods slightly and add a hook to the end instead and fish as you would with a boom as a running ledger trace.

I say 2/3 hooks because these little devils have a good habit of pinching your bait. So, if you got the fish there and he has already stolen one bait he will be doubley confident of taking the second or third. he could also attract interest from others by this time. Double hits of bream are a norm.
I use a 6lb IGFA semicarbon through action 8' rod. Brilliant piece of kit for this fishing just ask Mr Caines on Tiger Lily.:bounce:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Make the paternoster as you would if you were going to fish with a weight on the bottom of it but instead shorten the snoods slightly and add a hook to the end instead and fish as you would with a boom as a running ledger trace.

I say 2/3 hooks because these little devils have a good habit of pinching your bait. So, if you got the fish there and he has already stolen one bait he will be doubley confident of taking the second or third. he could also attract interest from others by this time. Double hits of bream are a norm.
I use a 6lb IGFA semicarbon through action 8' rod. Brilliant piece of kit for this fishing just ask Mr Caines on Tiger Lily.:bounce:
I'm never too keen to reel in quickly when bream fishing, simply because the action of the first hooked fish will often attract others to the scene

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Unless you were uptiding, when the grips are needed, they could be left unclipped. It's an all-styles feeder, not just boat fishing. It casts just as easily as a normal gripped weight...
I realise that but the OP was about bream fishing.

Personally I'd only use any sort of feeder, if we'd anchored for bream and if we did that, it would be an onion sack, packed with about 25lb of mashed up macky & bran

1 - 19 of 19 Posts