World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, looking to go out and do a little boat fishing. Estuary or just off land fishing, no deep sea stuff. Haven't got a clue what sort of rod I should be looking to use. Any idea's or advice would be appreciated. We'll be fishing out from the Hamble, near Portsmouth and maybe around the isle of wight.:g:

G

·
I have just got an Abu Suveran Pro Uptide Combo. It has 3 sections allowing you to have a 9'6 uptider or omit the middle section and you have a 7'6 rod ideal for general fishing. I have not had a chance to use it yet but have had a standard Suveran Pro Uptide for a few years and have not found anything to beat it. This one has the same feel and action to it so I reckon I should be just as pleased with it once I eventaully get a chance to use it.

G

·
Hi Hma1

:clap3: I have just this moment finished writing a review (see the Review section within the bait and tackle forum) for a brand new prototype from Alba rods.

It would be the next best thing to perfect for the job you describe.
It will down tide, uptide and easily handle all the species you will encounter in the Solent and it's extremities from being fun with mini species such as mackeral and flatties right through to Smoothound, Tope and big Cod.

Check out the review, the best thing about this rod is that it can be customised to be absolutely perfect for you.
Tom

PS: the pic is of a fish caught yesteday on the prototype I was using.:clap3:

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
In those areas you could fish with a 2oz weight in the shallow banks, or in the deeps in a full tide you would need two pounds! I would (and do) use a 9ft, cut down uptide rod sensitive enough to make light fishing enjoyable but can handle up to a 12 oz weight. Fishing the deeper water like Guarnard and Stokes Bay I go to 20lb class.

G

·
Mustaad viking 7' 6" boat rods, cheap enough £35, (although the rings need an oily cloth after a trip), but sensitive enough to show the bite from a 1lb pouting, and have enough guts to land a 12+lb roker in the tide,

thats my view, I expect others will disagree

hth

Ubd

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, thanks for responding everyone, much appreciated... As I'm fairly new to sea fishing and won't get out as much as I would like so I'm probably not looking to spend much more than £50 per rod. However, looking at all those recomended, its amazing what you can pick up on Ebay. Then there's the reel!. No experience with multipliyers so would probably look at fairly cheap but adequate fixed spool.
Regards
Alan

G

·
Try and get a multiplier if you can. It is a lot easier to use on a boat than a beach, you should be able to pick up something like a Penn 220GTO for about £40.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
For the type of fishing you want i would suggest the Mustad Viking multi-tip boat rod. it has three tips rated between 8-15lb and costs only £40. Match this to a small multi, something like a Abu 5500 or Shimano Callisto. This whole little setup will only cost you around £80 leaving money for 300m of Braid to fill your reel (30lb Whiplash or Fireline). I have one and although it isn't the best its a good fun little setup to use for smaller species.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again lads for your responses and advice. I 'lucked' in on Sunday. Managed to pick up a pair of 7' DAM rods complete with Shakespeare mutilplyers at a car boot for £40. Not the best but at that price it'll do for starters. So, well pleased. Hoping to try 'em out this week.
Cheers again

·
Registered
317 Posts
try the new Maxximus solid carbon rods from fladen. Alderney angling doing them cheap as chips. Excellent light weight blank,lots of different rods to choose from take a look at fladen sweden site.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts