World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst Fishing is a passion so is eating the catch.
What size do you consider taking for eating?
I put all the small ones back.
Take around the 5/6lb mark (better for fillets and smoking).
And I've always put the big ones (breeders) back (which have been few).
I'd be interested in all your opinions.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I tend to keep bass between 40-55cm returning any larger or smaller fish. I find that a 2-3lb bass makes a good feed for two people and that any smaller have to many bones.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
As far as Bass goes, if they're sizeable (36cms) i'll take all i need to eat/freeze.

Personally I think they taste rank and would prefer a Flattie, but my Mrs and son love em' so i get what i can to keep them happy.
If i have plenty in the freezer (very rare so far) i'll release em'

AL ..

·
Registered
280 Posts
i dont eat alot of my fish but my dad does, he says bass are prime eating between 3 and 4 1/2lb. After that they tend to loose they're taste abit.
I took a 5lb 10oz home last year and he said it was nice but not as good!!
So now it's between 3 and 5lb. He's fortunate enough to have a freezer full of fish most of the time so i have no real need to take home everthing i catch.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Whilst Fishing is a passion so is eating the catch.
What size do you consider taking for eating?
I put all the small ones back.
Take around the 5/6lb mark (better for fillets and smoking).
And I've always put the big ones (breeders) back (which have been few).
I'd be interested in all your opinions.
flipin eck i,ll starve. we dont get many that sort of size up here. we are getting loads just under size though so things are looking up for the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I fillet then brine then put them in the smoker.
It is a superior breakfast to any haddock or cod.
Buy a little smoker or use a bar-b-que with a lid.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
As far as Bass goes, if they're sizeable (36cms) i'll take all i need to eat/freeze.

Personally I think they taste rank and would prefer a Flattie, but my Mrs and son love em' so i get what i can to keep them happy.
If i have plenty in the freezer (very rare so far) i'll release em'

AL ..
I was under the impression that the min keeping size for Bass was 41cm so 36cm would be illegal :g:

·
Registered
443 Posts
I was under the impression that the min keeping size for Bass was 41cm so 36cm would be illegal :g:
If Mr Bradshaw had not had cold feet at the last minute and decided not to bring in the new national MLS it would have been. As it stands, it's still 36cm, unless, you live in an area like in Cornwall where there is a higher local MLS - down here it's 37.5cm.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Thanks for correcting me Tyn. Just measured it out and it's tiny, about macky size and probably wouldn't have spawned in it's life time yet.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
You was under the wrong impression then :)

AL ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts