World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got to thinking about this last night when fishing for them with crab, i often use semi shelled hardbacks, so big hooks are a necessity, though the two i caught last night were on soft velvet baits on a small size 2 3hk clipdown, and on a size 1/0 pulley pennel,

a good few of my baits were mulllered when i went to change them, suggesting something eating them, but i wonder if the 6/0 and 4/0 rigs i used were too big (though i do want the larger hounds, as opposed to the smaller ones).

so, what's you're preferred set-up / hook size ?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I usually use a single 3/0 or 4/0 hook with a fairly wide gape to allow for big crab baits on an up 'n' over with a snood about 4ft long, clipped down with an impact shield :)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Manta Xtras in 2/0 or kamasan B940s in 2/0 remember don,t use you reel as a winch use your clutch and 2/0 hooks should be ample .Also depends on the size of crab you use a 2p sized crab does look a bit lost on 6/0 and half a fist sized velvet crab doesn,t go too well with a 1/0 so bear bait size in mind

·
Registered
312 Posts
depends on the conditions and the size of bait.
Round about the main run would probably use a small crab bait and a 2/0 - 3/0.
But if the water is more coloured or there are fewre fish around and I was using a bigger bait then would not worry about going up to a 5/0 think 6/0 is probably bigger than I would use.
My prefered hooks are varivas big mouths on a pulley rig to 40lb snoods

·
Halfway To the Horizon
1,513 Posts
ive just been making up traces for them.... 2/0 varivas BM pennel. both up and overs, and pulley rigs!
PS

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
BLOODY Ell!

not fishing for tope ya know?

1/0 - 2 sakuma manta pennel will land hounds well into double figures

1 - 14 of 14 Posts