World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please tell me what the legal sizes are for Bass, Codling, Whiting, Pouting and other shore caught fish?
I don't want to be breaking the law by keeping something that is too small.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Barrie.
Someone told me they are trying to get the the landing sizes of the Bass changed, do you think this is true?
he told me they are going to try and change it to 18 or 20 ins.
Just wondering where I can keep up to date on things like this.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
If you want to stay legal, check with your local Sea Fisheries Committee (on the web) size limits, every area has one, & sizes vary from area to area, dont trust any "recommendations" from angling organisations, they are either hopelessly optimistic, out of date, & not the sizes that count when "the man" wants to look in your bag! For example MAFF size limits for bass are 36cm, our area is 37.5! if you were caught with a 36cm bass down here "your nicked"!!!!!!
As an example only, look at our local area www.swsfc.org.uk click on fish sizes & thats what applies to our area.
blueskip

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Anyawillow, just to prove my point, there is a post in the "Wales", which states that our local Fisheries Committee has put the min bass size up from 36cm to 37.5 (it should be 45cm) as the Welsh Federation have imposed internally on their members!
blueskip

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the information blueskip.
At least the 3lb 9oz Bass was way over 37.5cm that I caught the other night.
Its hard to keep up with things like this sometimes, but I am sure I can manage, lol.
Is there any law about what to do with gut and gill hocked fish?
I have had plenty of them, even if you put them back, there is a higher chance that they will not survive, what are you supposed to do with them?

·
Registered
568 Posts
anyawillow said:
Thanks for all the information blueskip.
At least the 3lb 9oz Bass was way over 37.5cm that I caught the other night.
Its hard to keep up with things like this sometimes, but I am sure I can manage, lol.
Is there any law about what to do with gut and gill hocked fish?
I have had plenty of them, even if you put them back, there is a higher chance that they will not survive, what are you supposed to do with them?
All fish under the MSL must be returned - there is no distinction in the law between healthy and injured fish.

The MSLs aren't as big as they could be :(

As for bass - the new MSL here in IOM is 43cm. The logic behind this was that all bass will have had chance to spawn at least once before they reach this size. Why can't all laws be based on such good logic ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gee, and there was me thinking I could bring the gut and gill hooked fish back for my cat. :rolleyes:
I must admit, from the first time I came fishing, everytime I have caught a nice big fish, I have always given it a slight squeaze to see if any eggs come out, if there has been eggs, I have always put them back.
That is the one thing my father taught me and I have done it ever since.
Well, I may post some more questions in the future on this forum as the ones I have asked so far, I have had very good responses to, thank you all very much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts