World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking for a new surf casting rod and I'm not too sure yet on what I really want so I'm asking what rod you would recommend. I'm using a 14ft diawa longbeam at the moment. Fixed spool reel. Im looking for a better rod but I'm not after the best top end rod. Maybe up to £200 or a little more? 3 section would be good as it would fit in my camper better.
Any advice guys, I'd be grateful
Thanks
Paul.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Leeda continental sport fixed spool is good three piece £169 casts 4 to 7oz but be careful where you tighten your reel as some people tighten well up the handle which gives over reach in the cast and restricks distance

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the diawa longbeam but it's a little bit whippy in the wind and when casting hard I get worried I might snap it
I remember reading somewhere on the forum using a M rod with a fixed spool reel is better too than a fixed spool rod??
I'd still like a long rod like the 14ft longbeam too if that's possible.
Anyone got anything to say about AWAF rods? I've been told to take a look at those too but no idea which one?
Thanks you for you post buddy I will have a look at that rod.
Cheers paul

·
Registered
270 Posts
I did have a longbeam but shattered the top section when it dropped on the pebbles, I bought the leeda to replace it not so whippy and casts well its a 14' I use an emcast along side it which is similar to the longbeam but cheaper £69

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Hiya Paul, i've got a pair of Greys Triplex 16ft multi rods & love em- easy to cast, decent bite detection & plenty of backbone lower down the blank. They do 14, 15, & 16ft fixed spool versions & could be worth a look at. Dont be put off by the price as i paid £225 for each of mine as opposed to the £299.99 rrp & the 14fters are about 50 notes cheaper rrp.
Rick;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have a mk 2 14 ft afaw 6 and bait,very good rod, quite hard to compress though. definitely a rod you can grow into im getting better with it, lots of potential can handle massive baits in the right hands it could be a beast.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well mixed fishing I guess. I do like a cod and bass session on the south coast though. I'll still keep the longbeam as that's ace for smaller rigs and baits when it's not blowing a hoolie.
This afaw 6 will be in my short list as it seems to get good reviews.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess what I want is a 14ft-ish rod that casts well like my longbeam but isn't as whippy. Must have decent bite detection though.
What are the AWAF 6 like? I've read they can be too stiff for good bite detection. My longbeam is a good mixed ground rod but I'm ready for a better rod now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Has any of you got the Diawa Theory in 14ft ?
I know it's not a afaw 6+bait
But is the Theory a good rod that is a quite bit stiffer than the longbeam ?
Cheers
Delta

No worries I've bought the AWAF 6+ bait.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got the Daiwa Theory, however it's the 16f one, I use it with the Penn Affinity 8000 got them both in a deal for about £250

I'm really happy with the rod, I can get good distance with the cast and I get good bite detection. Also, the rod isn't that heavy, which is good as I do stand with the rod quite a lot.

My Dad has the 16f long beam, my Theory just feels a better rod to be honest.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi there chef Turkish if it was me that you was asking about the afaw 6+ bait then I couldn't tell you to be honest. The reason is I've only just got it. My lovely wife bought me it for Crimbo and I'm not aloud to touch it until Santa officially leaves it under the tree with my name on it ha. I've been looking for a new rod for some time and started doing some research on the web and asking on the forums. I have a diawa longbeam 14ft fs at the moment and it's a great rod but, I wanted something with a bit more power in it and decided on the afaw 6+ bait after many reads on the web and forums . I just hope it has good bite indication like some of the guys say it has. Once I've been out and tested it I will add my bit to the threads concerned when someone else asks like I did.
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
450 Posts
i have just tested my new penn rampage surf 2 rod out and its a beauty ! I also have the afaw rod and that is also top notch. Decisions Decisions !

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
If your into spending that much have a look at the Daiwa supercasts found some for £140.
but there's plenty of the conti type rods for that price 14/15ft ive a sunset hispex 14ft light but has some power well had a 12lb bass on first use plus a conger so works ok

1 - 16 of 16 Posts