World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back from darkest Penzance now, after a droll few days of silliness.
340 miles drive down there, which took about 7 hours and 40 litres of diesel.
The weather was spectacularly capricious,it either blazed down or obscured everything in a glutinous shawl of sea-fret,but I still managed to get sunburnt through the fog.
A walk along the yacht harbour front showed up numerous good sized grey mullet bumbling about, and a bass of some 6 or 7 lbs looking fairly grumpy.
The exploratory plugging session resulted in the catch and release of a juvenile herring gull on a slow-sinking Tormentor , followed by an intensive session of ale consumption in The Dolphin and elsewhere.
Tuesday was spent trying to readjust.
Wednesday saw the launch of The Flying Aardvark at the Penzance Sailing club slipway,and a blast out to the Low Lee buoy,thence inshore and upwind to drift back out into Mounts Bay , with some hokkais and a fiskeharp dangling beneath and on the jig.
Tried drifting a whole squid just off the bottom, but a huge and tenacious kelpfish broke up the tackle.
Total catch that afternoon were three good sized mackeral on one drop of the hokkais and a smallish pollack on the fiskeharp which were taken home by Ships Cat 2 and eaten.
S.C.2 turned out to get quite badly seasick, and being a fairly large sort of bloke, it was a bit like having a dead horse on board.
Managed to surf the wake of the Penlee lifeboat on the way back in, which scared the daylights out of S.C.2 to the extent that he jumped
up like Count Dracula from his coffin.
The rest of the stay was compromised by the weather and lack of crew, but I did see that someone had placed a couple of plastic dromedaries in a field adjoining the M.5 in Somerset on my way back today.
Waiting for the codling up here now......
Cheers,
Davey.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
What a great report - I actualy smiled!
To summarise:
You caught not a lot.
You look like a lobster
You got the 'Ump on the way home.
You enjoyed yourself.
SC2 reserves judgement.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Yoom Emmetts is alll the same!,youm comes down ere ,trailing youm own boat down yonder,cumes and drinks our mead an fine ales,spingo an all, probably partake in scrumping a tiddly oggie or three,more than is likely try to abuse the friendship of our local wenches,then when yooum nine tenths barreled, goes out in your plastic shoppin basket an tries to catch our fishees,then to top it all you buggers of back to whom knows where an tells all uzz folks about it in thees pages! Well ise got news for youm fellahs up there in london and kent ways,wees seen all your reports on giant cods in the middle of summer,so us cornish boys is coming up to yer dunginarse an gallowiees, come the onset of autumn,then wees gonna take all youms coddies an soles, pins an needles whitnings, home with uz, drink yooor water like beers,an then weem going home an give the cat a darn good scolding!!! that' l teach yooum all!!! fancy takin a cat out in your water craft,whatever next ,spose we can expect to see yoom bringing them new fangled ocheyes with um next time youm in these parts.!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
:group:well done on a great trip

·
Registered
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad you liked the report, it was a bit of a trek down to Penzance,but I said I'd do it, so pretty much had to, really.
Much was learnt in terms of avoiding clutter, and the next time out will most likely be on the Thames,from Two-Tree Island.
Wired in a 12V DC socket today,that will run the handheld spotlight, so the thing is getting pretty much to where I'd like it to be.
Also adjusted the trim-tab fin to try and get the balance set up a bit better for two anglers,as it's a bit nose heavy to the left at the moment.
Cheers,
Davey.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts