World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to convince the wife i deserved a few hours alone time down Anster red peir yeasterday moring. Headed off with a couple of packs of forzen lug and muscles, set up both rods from the blocks at the top and cast out, after approx 10 mins a bloke at the end came down to ask about mackies in the area so i suggested Elie, they packed up and left soon after, as i was standing on the wall describing where Elie lighthouse was the bell on one of my rod goes.
I turn to see my rod bend double yeeess i shout and run, before i can reach it both rods and tripod perform a tripple salco into the sea below WTF i shout ( i actually did shout) i look up to see a bloody sea gull swimming away with one wing in the air obvoiusly with my line around it, one of my rods begins to float off at a speed resembling a jet engine i charge down the big stone step into the sea a grab my other rod winding like mad and running back up, Please dont snag please dont PLEASE, luckily i get it out and cast after my rod my cast is a bit right but i run down the wall so my line is over it and start to retreive got it first time, im back in the sea on the rocks up to my knees my rod still out of reach when somehow it gets off and floats off again, i cast again only about 15 yards or so but still not walk out distance, with my haste and terror i cast as hard as i can the almighty distance of 20 yards and bird nest so i know this it it, i dont get it now i have swim or let it go left. luckily i get it it close enough this time i wade out up to my waste and get it after a few mins of untangling my 2 lines i see that the rod greys triad my fav rod is broken at the end about 8 inches snapped into 3 bits ( can anyone help with this), getting my tripod was easier as it was under water but i just needed to walk down the side of the wall and get it once your wet your wet after all. So no fish, soaking wet and broken rod not my most successful session ever.
Once i get home in i trudge in squelching and soaked passed the waist with my phone and camera in hand the wife cant hide where her priorites lie " what have you done the the camera she asks"

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
we all have days like from time to time mate.i would pm kdy fisher to see if the rod is repairable.
cheers rab

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thats awful! I'm heading to Anstruther red pier on wednesday for an hour or two ( nothing serious, just taking a friend who wants to try fishing) and was just reading Codhead bobs site about Anstruther red pier......

And I quote

"The Blocks' and is reached by climbing a ladder at the bend of the pier.It's a concrete buttress fitted to the pier in the 30s and although not hugely wide when you get up to it, 2 or 3 people can fish it comfortably.It's better here to hold your rod as there's not a lot of room for rod rests,and fulmars zoom in extremely close and it's not the fist time a rod has gone over here."

kinda spooky as i still had the page open at just that bit...

Hope you get your rod fixed and that the camera and phone are ok!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Nightmare mate! Next time someone asks for advice, pretend you didn't hear them, and keep watching your rod!

Hope you manage to get the rod fixed ok.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
:marinheir i love a good classic story with detail !!! this is it :punk: sorry m8t i just love it ,and with a glass of good malt i will finish the evening with a smile ,,,,but i do hope you get your rod fixed , :busted_co

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
Finally a use for them bells a seagull alert only kidding hard luck always best to keep your rod close and your clutch set..

·
Team Shoreangler
708 Posts
I wouldnt leave my rods unattended with the ratchet not on.greys triad,I snapped my friends brand new one having a practice cast last year am sure they have a lifetime guarente with them not sure mate.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Your greys rod should be covered by their lifetime warranty? I think it costs a £35 fee for each claim? Others may have more info?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I wouldnt leave my rods unattended with the ratchet not on.greys triad,I snapped my friends brand new one having a practice cast last year am sure they have a lifetime guarente with them not sure mate.
Life time guarantee m8, was £30 handling fee, had/still got 2 Grx'S rods, couldn't lay them down without bustin a guide, had work done by K,fisher, spot on, had new guides and couldn't tell the dif.cheers

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Unlucky on the rod. At least you got your gear back though. Maybe wouldn't have if the tide had been higher. Hope you get the rod sorted though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, its a funny story now but not at the time, a lesson well learned though wont be making that mistake again, bigger tide rougher weather or even just dark and i would have lost the lot.

Good to hear about the life time guarantee thing though i will look into that today thanks again guys.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Bad luck man and one of the main reasons i never lay a rod in the rest without setting a drag on the reel.

With regards the broken Greys rod, make a point of emailing them and explaining the reason for the break and i bet you anything they will replace it, recently broke my Apollo and after an exchange of mails over a week or so and returning the remaining part of the tip to them, I had a brand new tip section for my troubles, cant fault Greys when it comes to replacements.

Hope you get yourself sorted out soon.

Paul.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.