World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a TOTAL beginner to casting multipliers and 'lazy pendulum' (I think it's called that??)
I'm practising a but but wondered what type of rod is best for learning the techniques, a harder stiff rod (zziplex zti) or soft match rods or a anyfish anywhere six n bait. Which I think is quite a nice rod, I would place it inbetween (I suppose a mixed ground rod)

G

·
I would think the anyfish 6+ would be to much for you at the moment. I have one. Got that with the intention of using it fishing the B channel. I pendulum cast but it's a bit of a beast compared to my "fishing rods" pair of mti 250 zero .
Zziplex totally out of my league so cannot comment sorry.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Hiya Kai, just my Tuppence worth but i personally found it easier to get the basics right with my normal fishing rod (at the time a Daiwa Supercast) as it did'nt try & pull my shoulders out of there joints with any mistimed casts & i'd a good idea beforehand what to expect. Worry about power/distance later.
Rick;)

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
To many anglers think stiff rod . No, go for a rod you can bend. As log as it is not to sloppy There's a saying , if you cant bend it ,you wont cast it. Its true!!;)

·
Banned
781 Posts
As a TOTAL beginner to casting multipliers and 'lazy pendulum' (I think it's called that??)
I'm practising a but but wondered what type of rod is best for learning the techniques, a harder stiff rod (zziplex zti) or soft match rods or a anyfish anywhere six n bait. Which I think is quite a nice rod, I would place it inbetween (I suppose a mixed ground rod)
anyfishanywhere 6 and bait 14ft multi version, i have one and its not quite the beast people make it out to be, sure it has power and potential but i personally think it is a good choice starter rod. its relatively cheap for what you get and once you get better you wont need to replace it, thats just my opinion, its the first decent rod i bought and after a session it wasnt such a brute as people had described it glad i bought it. to answer part of your question a soft rod is harder to pendulum and requires better technique because the lead will tend to bounce around during the swing which isnt what you want

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Have you had lessons from a competent caster? I would say get lessons before buying any rod. Theres a lot of pendulum casters out there that don't have a clue. You can buy a good rod and practice every day. But if you practice the wrong things your wasting your time and will only develop bad habits. Just because your bending the rod it doesn't mean your doing it right.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I g
Have you had lessons from a competent caster? I would say get lessons before buying any rod. Theres a lot of pendulum casters out there that don't have a clue. You can buy a good rod and practice every day. But if you practice the wrong things your wasting your time and will only develop bad habits. Just because your bending the rod it doesn't mean your doing it right.
I'm a tackle tart, so I got a load of rods, price wise starting at 6 and bait ( which I personally like a lot)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the answers.
I've had a couple of hours with someone who can cast, who showed me basics but no lessons off a compent caster.
Thinking of booking Phil Hyde for a couple.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
You also need to learn to use the rods you want to fish with, no point learning on a soft rod if you need a poker for your fishing. Take the rod you use the most to your instructor and learn how to bend it.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Agree on the softer rods especially for a new comer, often you don't have to pay to much for the either.

Sounds weird talking about taking a rod to an instructor, next you will need a licence and a permit to use one.

I've got rods that cost $60 which do almost as well as some I've paid $800 for. The cheaper bendy rods load through the entire rod making even my kids cast range more than enough to get among the fish. The extra flex is way more forgiving when we get big fish close to shore in the surf.

You are less likely to get tangles from the reel to as the unloading through the rod is slower than a fast action tippy rod which can be more likely to overruns for the novice (for my family anyway).

JonD

·
Banned
1,485 Posts
I used to try and learn to pendulum years ago on my beachcasters but never got to grips with it. Last year I tried on soft tipped bass rods and managed to get a fairly good technique (for me) going which once I was happy, I managed to apply to my beachcasters.

Learning on the bass rods meant when I got things wrong they didn't rip me to peices as I was using 3-4 oz leads and when I got it right I didn't need over 250 meters clear space to play with them to their maximum and because they were less tiring I could do more practice to get things sorted without wearing myself out.

I can now pendulum my stiff long (14ft) beach rod and my tip action short rods , but must admit my short and fast action rod (12ft tricast probe) is still to much for me to manage to pendulum because the timing still ain't 100% and basically it is a bit too fast for a beginner at serious casting , but learning on the bass rods really helped me with my other rods, short of taking casting lessons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts